HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:07 PM

^^ Other than the somewhat vague "near Ikea" description does anyone know a more precise location for Rec Room?

I know there is something near the Cabela's end of the lot that is under construction. It may be the Rec Room site. I don't recall seeing anything else in the area that could be Rec Room that has started construction.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:14 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe it is the old Lowe’s property next to the newly rising Hyatt.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:48 AM

I wonder if there's a chance they'll relocate the VIP Cinema to a joint space with Rec Room closer to IKEA? The Burnaby Rec Room is attached to a new VIP Cinema, and the McGillvray Cineplex is really underwhelming. The screens are tiny – it's obvious it used to be CinemaCity.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:25 PM

^^ Cineplex seemed pressured into a rushed McGilvary reno to try and capture loyalty in that area of Winnipeg before the AMC theater got built. Sad part is the AMC was cancelled when the company completely exited Canadian operations.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:00 AM

I was out in downtown Transcona today and saw that renovations are going on sat the old Safeway /Econo Mart location at the Regent Park Shopping center. There was no indication of what was going to be in there though.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I was out in downtown Transcona today and saw that renovations are going on sat the old Safeway /Econo Mart location at the Regent Park Shopping center. There was no indication of what was going to be in there though.
I think it's just another bloody thrift shop.

Yay

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I think it's just another bloody thrift shop.

Yay
I was able to find the Quailco Commercial web site to see a tenant list, and you are right.

The shopping center is shown as being anchored by Dollarama and Mission Thrift Store. The Mission Thrift store has a small location off McLeod a few blocks east of the Superstore so I don't know if that one is closing when this one opens.

A far cry from when it had the Liquor Mart and Safeway as anchors.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:29 PM

No Frills will be opening up on Plessis about a block away. So at least there will be another grocery store in the immediate vicinity.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
No Frills will be opening up on Plessis about a block away. So at least there will be another grocery store in the immediate vicinity.
Starbucks, Shell, Pizza Hut, and A&W have already opened up by the No Frills at Parkcity Commons. The No Frills looks to be a good sized store.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Opening up a block away from Regent Park Shopping Centre? Do you know where exactly? I'm trying to visualize the location in my head. And yes it would be great to have a supermarket back in that area, walking distance for my needs.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Opening up a block away from Regent Park Shopping Centre? Do you know where exactly? I'm trying to visualize the location in my head. And yes it would be great to have a supermarket back in that area, walking distance for my needs.
Its at the development in the old City of Winnipeg Public Works yard. Triangle lot west of Plesis north of Ravelston.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Its at the development in the old City of Winnipeg Public Works yard. Triangle lot west of Plesis north of Ravelston.
Okay so it is in there. That is only a bit further away for my benefit in comparison to the old location. That works fine!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:54 PM

https://www.parkcitycommons.com/retail/

Retail listing for Parkcity Commons

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 10:59 PM
BANNED

So then with a Dollarama opening up in Parkcity Commons, the location in Regent Park Shopping Centre will likely close. I wonder what will end up filling the void there?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 11:04 PM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 6:46 PM

lol @ "all roads lead to Park City Commons" ... uhh, like 2 do, and it's away in one corner of the city.

Also lol at retail "destination" and it shows a strip mall with Starbucks and Pizza Hut.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 AM

The Liquor Mart Express in the Pembina Village Safeway is now closed. I believe it was the first store in Manitoba to have a Liquor Mart Express.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 5:08 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Co-Op Grant Park under construction, making way for expansion westward towards Nathaniel.

Last edited by LilZebra; Feb 3, 2019 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 10:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
The Liquor Mart Express in the Pembina Village Safeway is now closed. I believe it was the first store in Manitoba to have a Liquor Mart Express.
We really should start doing like Saskatchewan and BC are doing, having a mix of private and public liquor shops. Seems to work well in both provinces and I believe it encourages price competition.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
We really should start doing like Saskatchewan and BC are doing, having a mix of private and public liquor shops. Seems to work well in both provinces and I believe it encourages price competition.
Manitoba is always 10-15 years behind the rest of the country when it comes to everything. I bet it’ll happen eventually, especially with current provincial government.

What I would like to see is govt get out of retail completely. Move to distribution only. Sell off the Liquor Mart to independents and allow Superstore, Sobey’s and Costco to move in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan