HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
My 34yr old cousin got covid from her husband (who wasn't wearing a mask at work) . She was 26wks pregnant with her soon to be 4th child and had a miscarriage because of covid. It's not a fun virus.
That is terrible. I hope she recovered.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I know what you're referring to, but in my vocabulary "Top of the Rock" will always be the Kadena (Okinawa) Air Force Base Officers' Club, seen here upper left on top of the hill--fantastic place in the good old days:
Looks so serene and beautiful. Its crazy to think the chaos that reigned over there back in the day. Hell in paradise.

I didn't know this, but after a query, it looks like the prefecture is a big tourism destination. That cyan/blue water looks devine.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:58 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

One thing is for sure, the folks at Princeton have brains. Hopefully more schools follow suit. They look at the trends, the facts, the science... and they act with proactive policies. Refreshing to see and read.

= = = = = =

All Princeton undergraduates will be fully remote for fall 2020 semester

Quote:
Princeton University has decided to have all undergraduate students fully remote for the fall 2020 semester, according to an update sent by Princeton President Christopher L. Eisgruber on Friday.

According to Eisgruber's letter, the decision was made due to the pandemic's impact on New Jersey which "has led us to conclude that we cannot provide a genuinely meaningful on-campus experience for our undergraduate students this fall in a manner that is respectful of public health concerns and consistent with state regulations and guidance."

Some context: Princeton had announced July 6 that it planned to welcome back first-years and juniors for the fall semester, and sophomores and seniors for the spring semester, however, that plan was always subject to change according to the public health situation.

"The health risks to the campus and surrounding populations appear greater now than they did just a month ago," Eisgruber said in the letter. "Reopening efforts in New Jersey and elsewhere have demonstrated how difficult it is to contain the disease. Where schools and universities have started to bring back students, Covid cases have rapidly followed."

According to the announcement, Princeton hopes to bring students back to campus in the spring, and said seniors in the class of 2021 will be its top priority.
=================
CNN

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Looks so serene and beautiful. Its crazy to think the chaos that reigned over there back in the day. Hell in paradise.

I didn't know this, but after a query, it looks like the prefecture is a big tourism destination. That cyan/blue water looks devine.
Big honeymoon spot for Japanese. It has some great beaches but watch out for sea snakes: Deadly poisonous.

https://www.his-travel.co.id/blog/ar...-super-menarik

Another anecdote: I had my first ever taco there cooked by a Japanese guy with chopsticks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
How are the parents of SSP feeling about this Fall school season?

Are you sending your young kin to la escuela, the schools or are you opting for remote learning aka virtual learning?
CPS made the decision for us.

They're going 100% remote learning for all grades for at least the 1st quarter (and likely longer I suspect, barring a miracle)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:13 PM
The City

Our school district did the same. 100% remote learning. I was disappointed, but I understand. Case positivity rates are rising in the north suburbs, and there are a lot of logistic concerns about how we would do in-person classes with social distancing/masks when we're talking about children.

I'm not happy because I think the quality of education via a computer screen sucks, and so much is lost. Plus, we have to arrange child care because we both work and have essential jobs (can't work from home like all you lucky IT people).

We just need this vaccine. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
They're going 100% remote learning for all grades for at least the 1st quarter (and likely longer I suspect, barring a miracle)
^ It will be for the entire 2020-21 school year. Mark my words.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:08 PM

there has been a increase of street bikes/ cars that race around at night or in the morning. probably a increase of tickets too.

less people on the road because half the people have jobs in the us. hasnt it always been like that though?

oh ya more people working at home.

Last edited by dubu; Aug 8, 2020 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ It will be for the entire 2020-21 school year. Mark my words.
That would be horrible.

My twins are entering their senior year in HS. What a way to have to go your last year in HS to school from home.

I hope it is not true. Illinois HS football got pushed back to start February 15th.

Many players and families are dependent on athletic scholarships to help defer the cost of collage.

I have heard of wealthy north suburban parents planning on sending their children to schools in Walworth county Wisconsin for this reason. People with second homes around Lake Geneva.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
there has been a increase of street bikes/ cars that race around at night or in the morning. probably a increase of tickets too.

less people on the road because half the people have jobs in the us. hasnt it always been like that though?

oh ya more people working at home.
I read that speeding tickets dropped, but excessive speeding citations increased in April/May. I think both of those trends have leveled off since economies have reopened and roadway congestion has been steadily increasing like the NYC subway counts. Back in the Black Plague days, the number of commuters rushing to get to work vanished. Overall traffic decreased and opened up highway and freeway space which allowed those with fancy cars to let loose at 100 - 150 mph.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 11:04 PM

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...y-15468195.php

It's quite logical that SF would be high on this list because the city has strong limits on chains and only a couple of big box stores (a CostCo, a Lowes, a couple of smallish Targets) in the city. That means San Franciscans are forced to do proportionately more of their shopping in boutique and Mom/Pop stores which, in spite of the city wind at their backs, are mostly poorly capitalized and marginally successful . . . so they cannot withtand closure orders and lockdowns. They don't have major online presences, access to capital markets or national or even global structures to fund them in bad times.

The city Planning Department also strongly favors small ground floor store fronts in new developments so most new buildings have them and a lot of them were already empty before COVID because the city was already "over-sored". So this likely means that for a decade or more we are going to have ugly empty store fronts all over town.

My guess is the restaurants will come back because the city has always been a dining-out place due to the high proportion of singles and childless couples. Likewise the places providing convenience to neighborhoods: Corner markets, dry cleaners and so forth. But the high end, trendy retail that characterized the city? I'm less sanguine.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Went to Chinatown for dinner tonight. It's a bit of a ghost town, with about half the places closed. Grabbed takeout from QXY and ate it in Ping Tom Park. They sure got the packaging down:

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me. Taken tonight.

West NY - 08-08-2020 - 1 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

All I gotta say is, we are f'd. Lots of folks not social distancing nor caring. Its a romper room in Hoboken! Fall Season will be interesting...

Like yah had some folks do the right thing, but others, not a care on the world. On a side note, spotted two gentleman on a bench looking at the skyline, and casually smoking some bud. Good to see that. Not giving an F, while enjoying the NYC skyline.

I'll be getting a 4k dashcam in a week, so it'll be nice to finally not have to use my shit cell phone.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:57 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Face masks are now mandatory in some streets of Paris
It was mandatory inside, now it includes some streets even if I have some question about the choice of some streets and not other ones.
Avenue des Champs Elysées is not concerned neither are most of the main commercial streets of Paris like Rue de Rivoli, Boulevard Haussmann, Boulevard Saint-Michel, Rue de Rennes...

Here a map of Inner Paris

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs...6_4355770.html

There is an application to indicate the level of crowdedness in public transportation.
I tested it during one trip, this is what it offers.

Mobilisés ensemble by Minato ku, sur Flickr
I hesitate between several choices (tres elevée or maximale ?).

Paris metro, ligne 4 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Would you ride that? I wouldn't.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Would you ride that? I wouldn't.
Out of the 6 people visible, 4 aren't wearing their mask properly, one isn't even wearing a mask.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 9:55 AM

Haha, they’ve made masks mandatory in the fun parts of Paris. Not surprising.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yesterday my household was abuzz with the Quebec government's rules for back to school.

To sum up, it actually sounds a lot like the rules for restaurants here.

All kids 10 and older will wear masks to walk around in class and hallways, but once they are sitting at their desk they can remove them.

There won't be (as was rumoured) a "six-student bubble". Your entire class will be considered your bubble.

The teacher will need to remain 2 metres away from the students but the students will not be 2 metres apart.

Masks will be mandatory on school buses at all times but not while sitting in the cafeteria.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

25-30 percent of the restaurants and bars in Pittsburgh have already permanently closed due to COVID restrictions. I’d imagine roughly half will be gone by this time next year because I don’t see the restrictions and constant closings from the governor to end.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Mayor London Breed expects city to spend $446 million on pandemic next year
Aidin Vaziri and Dominic Fracassa
Aug. 11, 2020 Updated: Aug. 11, 2020 11:31 a.m.

Over the next year, San Francisco is expected to spend about $446 million on its ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mayor London Breed revealed the figure Tuesday during a news conference to lay out the details of the city’s coronavirus spending plan in her proposed budget.

Much of that money — about $353 million — is expected to come from a combination of reimbursements from the federal Emergency Management Agency, state grants and federal stimulus money. Breed’s budget assumes the city will cover the remainder, about $93 million.

The amount of personnel, funding and other resources marshaled as part of San Francisco’s COVID-19 response has in essence created a new, de facto city department. The $446 million Breed earmarked for the pandemic represents the rough equivalent of the budget for the city’s Fire Department . . . .

Nearly $183 million will go toward housing, shelter and medical programs for the city’s homeless population and for hotels reserved for people who cannot safely self-isolate following a coronavirus diagnosis.

Another $45.8 million will go toward food and human services programs, including a $16 million expansion of the city’s public Pit Stop restrooms. A total of $16.5 million is set aside for operations at the city’s central COVID Command Center, which also handles multi-lingual outreach to non-English-speaking residents.

Breed’s budget allocates almost $185 million for “health operations,” a broad category that includes funding for coronavirus testing, personal protective equipment contact tracing, and targeted outreach for vulnerable communities. Testing represents the largest share of the health operations budget, at nearly $56 million.

The city’s pandemic spending plan assumes the virus eventually tapers off in the coming months. If it doesn’t, or if cases surge to the point of overwhelming hospital systems, more money will be required . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...6-15475729.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions