HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 12:16 AM

Hall's Landing is doubling in size. There's a sketch for it somewhere in this thread, but it's essentially just an extension of the existing building turning at an angle parallel to the creek.

Edit: Found it; see MonctonRad's post: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=592

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 6:31 PM

Updated look of the new NBLC at the Sobeys Plaza on Elmwood Drive:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 3:56 PM

Clarification on the Kubota rumor. They applied to the town of Salisbury for a building permit to expand and were denied so they went looking elsewhere. It appears they have bought 4 acres of land, whether that is in the Caledonia industrial park or on Harrisville blvd my dad was unsure.

It is too bad they are closing in Salisbury, but for the company itself it does make sense for them to move closer to their competitors (John Deere, Pattersen's, etc...)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks like there is at least one upside to locating Moncton High School out by the Kent County boundary.

According to the T&T, Moncton High has built an astronomical observatory on site (the only high school in the Maritimes with an observatory), and plans on starting to offer an elective astronomy course to it's students.

I guess there isn't much light pollution out there to contend with. Viewing conditions are apparently excellent.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Looks like there is at least one upside to locating Moncton High School out by the Kent County boundary.

According to the T&T, Moncton High has built an astronomical observatory on site (the only high school in the Maritimes with an observatory), and plans on starting to offer an elective astronomy course to it's students.

I guess there isn't much light pollution out there to contend with. Viewing conditions are apparently excellent.
My kids were part of an astronomy club at school this year and their big end field trip was to the observatory at MHS. It's actually pretty cool. Much more than I was expecting and the conditions are indeed very good. We got to see Jupiter in great detail which was neat. I was talking to James Mosher who runs the program and he said they are trying to secure a new telescope that would be one of the most powerful in the Maritimes if not the most. The cost I believe was around $50k. This was back in February so the details are a bit fuzzy.

I haven't read the article so maybe some of that info is in there. Apologies if it is.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The article stated the telescope is a Meade RCX-400, which has a 12 inch aperture and is worth $10,000. As such, they may be planning on an upgrade if he told you they were interested in a $50,000 instrument.

Here's a generic photo of what such an instrument looks like:

The telescope has a GPS driven computerized motor to allow for precise stargazing. To be clear, MHS has an honest to God observatory complete with a dome that can be rotated. A pretty good resource for a high school.

It should be noted that both U de M and MTA also have astronomical observatories as well.........

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The article stated the telescope is a Meade RCX-400, which has a 12 inch aperture and is worth $10,000. As such, they may be planning on an upgrade if he told you they were interested in a $50,000 instrument.

Here's a generic photo of what such an instrument looks like:

The telescope has a GPS driven computerized motor to allow for precise stargazing. To be clear, MHS has an honest to God observatory complete with a dome that can be rotated. A pretty good resource for a high school.

It should be noted that both U de M and MTA also have astronomical observatories as well.........

One of the teachers at Riverview high has something similar to this in his back yard, out in lower Coverdale. He holds during lunch time an astronomers club, each semester and every 2nd Saturday you meet at his place to use the telescope.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 5:17 PM

The MHS structure is basically a kit you can order and build yourself. It's not real big - maybe 8-10 ft diameter at most. It isn't insulated or anything. You probably don't want such expensive equipment sitting in the middle of a dark open field with essentially a pad lock to secure it so they bring the equipment indoors.

As far as the new telescope goes, he seemed fairly certain they would be getting the upgrade at some point.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 11:04 AM

I was at Starbucks this morning on Elmwood and I was wondering whats going into the plaza in the back I seen a RCS sign and two of the units were leased? Who could be going there?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 8:00 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I was at Starbucks this morning on Elmwood and I was wondering whats going into the plaza in the back I seen a RCS sign and two of the units were leased? Who could be going there?
Apparently going to be some sort of fitness centre with a "popeyes" type supplement shop. Nothing confirmed on the name.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
Apparently going to be some sort of fitness centre with a "popeyes" type supplement shop. Nothing confirmed on the name.
I heard popeyes, and for some odd reason thought Chicken... One can always hope...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 7:27 PM

The buzz in the neighbourhood says it will be a gym. So after you enjoy one of Freddie's giormous donairs, you only have to go next door to work it off.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
The buzz in the neighbourhood says it will be a gym. So after you enjoy one of Freddie's giormous donairs, you only have to go next door to work it off.
It is a gym. United Performance Athletic Facility. From what I've been seeing it's going to have some very high end equipment in there.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 1:29 PM

Here's their FB page https://www.facebook.com/unitedperformance76/
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRobi View Post
It is a gym. United Performance Athletic Facility. From what I've been seeing it's going to have some very high end equipment in there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The exterior of the new NBLC at the Sobeys plaza on Elmwood Drive is nearing completion:

And on a semi related note, there is now a new RCS construction trailer on site along the south side of Filles de Jesus Ave. There was to be some commercial construction on this lot at some point to complete the Sobeys plaza development. I wonder if this is about to start.........

Here's an old crappy screen capture showing what Crombie had planned for the south side of Filles de Jesus. It shows three buildings, one of which has a drive-thru. Of course, plans can change, but it will be interesting to see if this final part of the Sobeys development is going to take shape or not.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 9, 2016 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 6:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They're definitely clearing land on the south side of Filles de Jesus Ave, and it encompasses the whole area to be developed. Something is definitely afoot here......

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 10:52 PM

Drove down Harisville Road on the way home tonight, and notice that Corey Craig Group have will build to suit signs on there lot Corner of Harisville, and Shediac Road, also noticed For sale signs on the lot across the road Right next to the Kent store.

I'm wondering if this is possibly a sign of things to come, and the area will start seeing massive changes.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 12:08 PM

My sources told me it's 100% a Dollarama.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnifni View Post
My sources told me it's 100% a Dollarama.
I've heard it's a Dollarama as well!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Drove down Harisville Road on the way home tonight, and notice that Corey Craig Group have will build to suit signs on there lot Corner of Harisville, and Shediac Road, also noticed For sale signs on the lot across the road Right next to the Kent store.

I'm wondering if this is possibly a sign of things to come, and the area will start seeing massive changes.
Those have been there for years. I'm thinking like 5 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces