HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 5:58 PM

Halifax Stanfield's Annual Report is out too:

http://hiaa.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...15-English.pdf

This year looks like it will be a banner year for passenger growth, and Halifax Stanfield is well on it's way to surpassing 4 million passengers a year.

Also:

Quote:
Korean Air Cargo Adds a Second Weekly 747

Korean Air Cargo will add a second weekly 747 cargo freighter beginning on May 11, 2016. The freighter is scheduled to arrive in Halifax on Wednesdays at 6:20 a.m. to pick up cargo, much of which is live lobster. The freighter then departs at 8 a.m. for Seoul, South Korea. Korean Air Cargo has operated a 747 or 777 freighter at Halifax Stanfield for nearly two years. Together, the two flights are expected to generate over $2,000,000 in export value to the province each week.
http://hiaa.ca/2016/05/airport-autho...sults-in-2015/

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 11:49 AM

I was just wondering did Delta drop their Halifax-JFK run? Cause when i try to book a trip for next year the flight does not show up.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I was just wondering did Delta drop their Halifax-JFK run? Cause when i try to book a trip for next year the flight does not show up.
Looks like it's going to be operating seasonal this year till the end of September and will start again in the spring.

https://twitter.com/Delta/status/734902490345377792

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 11:32 AM

Couple of new Sunwing Routes announced for next winter:

Quote:
Canadian leisure carrier Sunwing Airlines in winter 2016/17 season is introducing a number of new sectors to the Caribbean, including service to Cayo Coco, Cancun, Mazatlan and Varadero. Planned operation as follow.

Gander – Deer Lake – Varadero – Gander – Deer Lake eff 14MAR17 New Routing, 1 weekly
WG692 YQX0700 – 0750YDF0840 – 1225VRA 738 2
WG693 VRA1335 – 2005YQX2055 – 2145YDF 738 2

Saint John – Cayo Coco eff 13FEB17 1 weekly
WG238 YSJ0900 – 1225CCC 738 1
WG239 CCC1335 – 1835YSJ 738 1
Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...routes-in-w16/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Couple of new Sunwing Routes announced for next winter:

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...routes-in-w16/
I noticed that too. Although I also noticed that Ysj lost the traditional runs to Cancun and Cayo Santa Maria for 2017. Hope there is something to take their place. That's 2 less flights per week. Would definitely hurt the airports numbers.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:08 PM

I don't know if this was posted on here, but the new discount carrier "New Leaf Travel" is starting flights on July 25.

Moncton and Halifax are two of the 12 cities that they will be serving.

It's a no-frills airline, so carry on and checked luggage fees are extra (among others). Although a $99 base fare (standard fees and taxes included) each way from Moncton to Hamilton is not a bad thing.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
I don't know if this was posted on here, but the new discount carrier "New Leaf Travel" is starting flights on July 25.

Moncton and Halifax are two of the 12 cities that they will be serving.

It's a no-frills airline, so carry on and checked luggage fees are extra (among others). Although a $99 base fare (standard fees and taxes included) each way from Moncton to Hamilton is not a bad thing.
When New Leaf first announced, their only Atlantic Canadian destination was Halifax. With this "relaunch", they have added Moncton as a destination too. The flight will be Moncton - Hamilton, with Hamilton being their eastern hub.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

More info on the new airline that will be servicing the GMIA.

New Leaf will be offering a B737 service twice weekly (Monday & Friday) from the GMIA to Hamilton and, with a short station stop, on to Edmonton. Since it is the same equipment flying on to Edmonton, this could be considered a "direct" service, but not a non-stop service. It's the same idea as the Porter service from the GMIA to Ottawa and then on to Billy Bishop in TO.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Since it is the same equipment flying on to Edmonton, this could be considered a "direct" service, but not a non-stop service. It's the same idea as the Porter service from the GMIA to Ottawa and then on to Billy Bishop in TO.
This is only true if the airline does not required pax continuing to Edmonton to get off the plane.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 10:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
This is only true if the airline does not required pax continuing to Edmonton to get off the plane.
We'll see.

The Moncton-Ottawa/Billy Bishop route on Porter doesn't require you to deplane (personal experience)
the former Moncton-Hamilton/Edmonton route on WestJet didn't require you to deplane (personal experience)

I expect New Leaf to be the same, but there are no guarantees.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 2:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New Leaf's inaugural flight to Moncton from Hamilton-John C Munro is today.

According to the press release below, the flight is sold out, and is the only inaugural flight of the new service to have been sold out.

http://www.cyqm.ca/en/home/aboutus/n...ttheywant.aspx

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 2:33 PM

They start operations today, first flight at destination of Moncton is on the 29th, gonna be nice to see different tails at the gmia

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 2:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
They start operations today, first flight at destination of Moncton is on the 29th, gonna be nice to see different tails at the gmia
Sorry, misread the article. It should be noted that the tail insignia will be for Flair Air, not New Leaf.

Picture from Hamilton/John C Munro from today:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 8:44 PM

It won't be the first time Flair Air has been in Moncton. They did oil sands charter work a few years ago out of YQM and YHZ.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 5:14 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Westjet continues to show confidence in Sydney market

July 26, 2016 Cape Breton Post

Quote:
WestJet adds second daily Sydney flight to Halifax

Chris Shannon
Published on July 26, 2016

Twice daily return flights between Sydney and Halifax begin on March 13, she said.

Stewart said the airline is continuing to increase flight options in domestic markets that have “high volumes” of business and leisure traffic.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

GMIA news:

The seasonal second daily WestJet flight to Toronto (a replacement for the previous seasonal flight to Hamilton) is set to become a year round service.

So, there will now be two daily flights to Toronto on WestJet on a year round basis. The early morning flight will be on a B737. The afternoon flight will be on a Bombardier Q400.

WestJet has also confirmed the return of their seasonal sun flights to Cancun and Orlando out of the GMIA.

Finally, the first NewLeaf flight between the GMIA and Hamilton/John C Munro is today.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
GMIA news:

The seasonal second daily WestJet flight to Toronto (a replacement for the previous seasonal flight to Hamilton) is set to become a year round service.

So, there will now be two daily flights to Toronto on WestJet on a year round basis. The early morning flight will be on a B737. The afternoon flight will be on a Bombardier Q400.

WestJet has also confirmed the return of their seasonal sun flights to Cancun and Orlando out of the GMIA.

Finally, the first NewLeaf flight between the GMIA and Hamilton/John C Munro is today.
Still wish we had more flight options out of Moncton.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Still wish we had more flight options out of Moncton.
The only way that is going to happen is if people stop flying out of Halifax or any other airport because a flight may be 100$ cheaper elsewhere. And we all know that is just not going to happen!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 12:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
The only way that is going to happen is if people stop flying out of Halifax or any other airport because a flight may be 100$ cheaper elsewhere. And we all know that is just not going to happen!
I don't think Monctonians fly out of Halifax because fares are cheaper there (I don't think the fares are cheaper there). Bangor yes, Halifax no.

Saint John and Freddy are seriously affected by their proximity to Bangor. Happily, the GMIA is nearly five hours from Bangor, which insulates our airport somewhat.

Usage of Halifax/Stanfield by Monctonians is governed mostly by the superior connections that Halifax has. Most people would prefer to fly direct most of the time. The last time I flew out of Stanfield was to LHR and a drive to Halifax and spending a hundred bucks to park my car in their parking structure is certainly more convenient than flying out of Moncton to Toronto, make connections there and then backtrack over the Maritimes on the way to England.

Halifax will always have more direct flights to more places than Moncton will. This is predicated by the size of the local population in central NS and Air Canada's "spoke and wheel" model of operation.

Despite this fact, I believe there are limited opportunities to improve connectivity out of Moncton to places like St. John's and to the US northeast (Boston or New York). Why aren't there direct flights from the GMIA to Quebec City, and also to the Magdalen Islands and to St Pierre & Miquelon? With U de M and the Dumont Hospital, and with the size of the local Acadian population, these would seem to be no brainers. I also think there could be expanded seasonal connections to Florida from the GMIA too. Orlando is pretty well served, but a seasonal daily flight to central Florida would be fantastic.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Aug 1, 2016 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 8:56 PM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;7518142]I don't think Monctonians fly out of Halifax because fares are cheaper there (I don't think the fares are cheaper there). Bangor yes, Halifax no. QUOTE]

It actually does happen more then you think. Im guilty of it myself. I've even flown out of SJ and Freddy because fares to destinations on the date i was travelling were cheaper then out of YQM. Its not always the case obviously. I leave this coming Monday for Europe and im flying out of YQM with a 10 hr layover in Toronto because it was cheaper then anywhere else by a lot. Even Boston by 1000$ pp. The fact is YQM has always bled pax to Halifax and that probably won't change overnight. As long as we continue to drive to other nearby airports to catch flights for whatever reason we may have, we are hurting YQMs ability to attract new flights.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces