HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
More from Festival Inspire

Here is the back of Castle Manor (don't worry, the historic front facade of the building isn't being touched).

(from Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page).
This reminds me I have finally seen listings for Castle Manor's new condos I think they are probably listed to high for what you get, and will either have to go down in price, or the building may soon be seen for sale again. $336,650.00 for a 2 bed 1.5 bath. I could buy 2, or more properties for that price.

I was looking it seems Moncton is one city that is doing the opposite with there pricing houses are less expensive, and condos seem to be over priced. Other cities have done the opposite condos the least expensive option.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 1:02 PM

City Beautification???

On a separate note: Still facing downtown there is a woman (possibly with a group behind her) wanting to lobby for the city of Moncton to ban any project that would be larger then 6 stories, and no wider then X in height Y in width, and Z in depth unless the people vote for an amendment for a specific project. Apparently this woman was watching Youtubers who hold a certain view on what would make a nice city, and she has taken it as "This is what a city must be" versus "In my opinion this is what I consider to be a a beautiful city". She was downtown with a petition yesterday, and din't seem to have very many signatures.

So I'm going to ask this here Since we talk about city projects 99.99% of the time

Do people just want larger projects, or do people who see these people calling for a more compact city assume this "Smaller buildings, and less space" seem to want to expand on that once they get what they want?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
On a separate note: Still facing downtown there is a woman (possibly with a group behind her) wanting to lobby for the city of Moncton to ban any project that would be larger then 6 stories, and no wider then X in height Y in width, and Z in depth unless the people vote for an amendment for a specific project. Apparently this woman was watching Youtubers who hold a certain view on what would make a nice city, and she has taken it as "This is what a city must be" versus "In my opinion this is what I consider to be a a beautiful city". She was downtown with a petition yesterday, and din't seem to have very many signatures.

So I'm going to ask this here Since we talk about city projects 99.99% of the time

Do people just want larger projects, or do people who see these people calling for a more compact city assume this "Smaller buildings, and less space" seem to want to expand on that once they get what they want?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but there is sound reasoning to have reasonable height restrictions.

There are optimal dimensions for what makes pedestrians comfortable, for example. Building tall buildings also increases the price of land in the area, which makes smaller developments less viable despite the fact that they could nicely fill in gaps and increase density. And in a smaller city, a tall building can significantly add to office space inventory and stifle development for the next few years.

Thus I don't think it's unreasonable to impose a height "limit" but at the same time be open to going beyond that when appropriate.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 1:35 PM

The one thing I think there should be is a restriction on how wide and deep the building is... In Moncton downtown there is a large number of L shaped buildings that are 4 storeys and cover a large amount of land, it's never a good thing when it's cheaper for them to build out instead of up. We can't be a city full of 4 storey vinyl sided buildings.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 1:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This lady and her petition are silly. We can't ban buildings because they are too large. Ultimately a policy like this would kneecap development in the city.

I would be in favour of strictly controlling where such buildings could get built. If I had the keys to the city, I would try to limit taller buildings (10+ stories) to the lands south of Main Street, while at the same time try and encourage more human scaled urban densification between Main and St George.

Smaller scaled 4-6 storey buildings can build a satisfyingly dense urban environment, especially if architectural covenants are followed, if the buildings are built close together and if there is no (or minimal) setback from the sidewalk. Just look at the built environment of European cities like London, Paris or Amsterdam to see what I am talking about. Large parts of the core of these cities are 4-6 stories tall and nobody would dare suggest that they don't feel urban.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but there is sound reasoning to have reasonable height restrictions.

There are optimal dimensions for what makes pedestrians comfortable, for example. Building tall buildings also increases the price of land in the area, which makes smaller developments less viable despite the fact that they could nicely fill in gaps and increase density. And in a smaller city, a tall building can significantly add to office space inventory and stifle development for the next few years.

Thus I don't think it's unreasonable to impose a height "limit" but at the same time be open to going beyond that when appropriate.
Interesting, but do you (or anyone on this board) have any examples of disproportionate projects that have really stifled the growth of a city? If so, then I could certainly be convinced for a height restriction. On the other hand, I think of Halifax and Montreal who do have restrictions... Both awesome cities with superbly dense and lively cores, but I find lacking in height.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 3:21 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Given that the tallest halfway serious proposal in the past 15 years was only 10 stories, I think this is a silly non-issue.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 6:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Given that the tallest halfway serious proposal in the past 15 years was only 10 stories, I think this is a silly non-issue.
Which probably says more about land availability outside the core or the desires of tenants than it does about the development regulations in the city. I don't think it would hurt the city to have a development plan in place to encourage densification but it's not as if there are 15-20 story condos being proposed for the outskirts that could easily be built Downtown. Moncton hasn't reached that critical point yet where the commute from the outskirts has reached such an extent that it would be easier to live in the core to avoid it. Once that limit is reached i'm sure we'll start seeing more urban, densifying developments Downtown.

Here in Ottawa, because of the Hull sightlines of Parliament, all of Downtown is under height restrictions. Although it's fairly dense it has created a very unimpressive tabletop result. Currently U/C is a new condo development which will become the city's tallest and it's nowhere near Downtown, which only serves to spread out services and create more strain on transit and mobility.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 11:06 AM

Thought I saw heavy equipment working on the new development across from Sobeys on Vaughn Harvery - but could have been doing rail maintenance also although it looks like tree clearing. Anybody get a closer look?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 11:00 PM

[/URL][/IMG]

Well this is a good sign! Looks like they are also adding in a boutique hotel! Awesome news! Cannot wait to see them break ground

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 12:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed!!!

I presume the "boutique hotel" is designed to occupy a couple of floors where they had difficulty selling units. It's an ingenious idea actually.

In any event, it sounds like 55 Queen is a go!

Another crane for the city!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Indeed!!!

I presume the "boutique hotel" is designed to occupy a couple of floors where they had difficulty selling units. It's an ingenious idea actually.

In any event, it sounds like 55 Queen is a go!

Another crane for the city!

I would like to see them remove the brown patios and replace them with glass or the white... Umm also I'm curious, now that there will be a boutique hotel, I wonder if the building design for the outside has changed?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I wonder if the building design for the outside has changed?
You just know it's going to end up looking something like this...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 12:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bite your tongue!!

You know, with this boutique hotel thing, I suppose there might be the off chance that the building might be a little taller......

Wishful thinking of course.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:05 PM

So tonight is the night that fivefive and the mayor are having an announcement at the Capitol theatre, I'm not sure if it's just an announcement saying they have signed on with a boutique hotel or if they are announcing that they will be breaking ground soon. Fingers crossed.

As for David99's post, I would love for someone to makeover the building right next to the rail bridge like that! It's got similar style to the building and look.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
As for David99's post, I would love for someone to makeover the building right next to the rail bridge like that! It's got similar style to the building and look.
Speaking about that particular block, the old ING building on the corner has been sold and will soon become the home of a new law firm - Tandem Family Law. I believe they plan to move in fairly soon.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 8:50 PM

Quote:
[/URL][/IMG]

Well this is a good sign! Looks like they are also adding in a boutique hotel! Awesome news! Cannot wait to see them break ground

So if anyone actually attends this that is on here, you should give us the details, I couldn't make it. I want to see renders and hear all about it.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 10:10 PM

According to the Five Five Queen facebook page, the announcement tonight at the Capitol Theatre was for the Wesley boutique hotel and a bar-restaurant, the Gahan House, both included in the 55 Queen project. Gahan House already has locations in Charlottetown and Halifax.

Construction starts in September!

Last edited by NBNYer; Jun 30, 2016 at 10:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 10:12 PM

That's awesome! The Gahan house is an awesome restaurant and bar! Started in Charlottetown, great beer etc. So the pumphouse and Gahan basically right beside each other! That's wonderful news! The start of a micro-Brew area.
Also I should have guessed when the mentioned one of the Murphys being involved it was going to have something to do with Gahan House.

I have to keep editing this and I'm writing poorly, but there is also mention that they will be breaking ground this September, cannot wait! Let's hope that doesn't change again and again.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 10:16 PM

New render shows the building basically unchanged with the exception of the signage for the Gahan House, Wesley boutique hotel and Platinum realty. Great news!! Yet another tower crane coming to the city this year!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces