HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 3:33 AM

Went to Ottawa-BC game tonight with low expectations. The game ended up highly entertaining with some controversy at times (this actually energizes the crowd). A surprising Ottawa victory and they were full marks for it. The game was another sell out and the atmosphere was great. Being July 4th, they sang the American national anthem as well as the Canadian anthem and presented a video of former Ottawa quarterback J.C. Watts who is now an American Senator speaking from the Canadian embassy in Washington. It was a very nice touch. Also, Russ Jackson was involved in a celebration of a 4th quarter touchdown. The new ownership group are doing a great job of marketing the product and with an improving team on the field, I am optimistic. It was a very pleasant summer evening at Lansdowne. Ottawans have really taken to the lumberjack theme and so many are now wearing red and black plaid to the games. We are waiting for the team to appear in a plaid uniform.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 4:39 AM

That's what happens when you have smart, energized people who ignore naysayers who've never accomplished anything and never will, and the smart people do things right.

I guess the naysayers were right, the CFL failed twice and football is dead in Ottawa.

Thanks for that game description, by the way. I missed the game but you made it sound worth watching so I'm gonna mosey over to TSN Games on Demand.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 5:32 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Went to Ottawa-BC game tonight with low expectations. The game ended up highly entertaining with some controversy at times (this actually energizes the crowd). A surprising Ottawa victory and they were full marks for it. The game was another sell out and the atmosphere was great. Being July 4th, they sang the American national anthem as well as the Canadian anthem and presented a video of former Ottawa quarterback J.C. Watts who is now an American Senator speaking from the Canadian embassy in Washington. It was a very nice touch. Also, Russ Jackson was involved in a celebration of a 4th quarter touchdown. The new ownership group are doing a great job of marketing the product and with an improving team on the field, I am optimistic. It was a very pleasant summer evening at Lansdowne. Ottawans have really taken to the lumberjack theme and so many are now wearing red and black plaid to the games. We are waiting for the team to appear in a plaid uniform.

Like last year?

Source: CTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
l'Impact has better chances to fill Saputo stadium regularly than the Als. Si l'Impact peut aller chercher un gros nom, et qu'ils continuent de gagner, le stade va être plein.
I should hope so... Saputo holds 5k less.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 11:05 PM

You'll have to go a long way to see a better football game this year (in any league) than that Argos/Riders game

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
they compete against the food trucks and the festivals. too many things to do in Montréal during the summer.
Montreal has a huge number of summer activities; it's really just insane. And every single event is competing for attention and the buck. Let's not forget all the tiny events such as art shows, theater and dances performances which kick-in in the fall. So at the end of the day, I forgive it for showing somewhat disappointing attendances here and there.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 4:00 AM
More transit please

The Impact and Alouettes will always be considered second-string teams in Montreal. It's all about the Habs. Unless of course one of these two has success (winning the Grey Cup for example), then people will show support:

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/ima...7518461631.jpg

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
You'll have to go a long way to see a better football game this year (in any league) than that Argos/Riders game
100% Agree and the new convert rules make the extra point strategy that much more important in OT. Love the stretch by Coombs on the winning points, kept the knee up!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 12:43 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
That was quite the game yesterday. Trevor Harris looked very composed throughout that game. Quite impressive for a guy in his 3rd career start. The Argos may finally have found a decent 'homegrown' QB for the first time in forever.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 12:45 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Like last year?

Source: CTV

The REDBLACKS wore the plaid unis last season (twice, I think), but the plaid helmets were not available. I'd expect those are coming sometime this season.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
It was a great game, supplemented on both sides by absurd penalties that even the TSN announcers agreed were getting out of hand.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
It was a great game, supplemented on both sides by absurd penalties that even the TSN announcers agreed were getting out of hand.
The league has clearly gone too far with all of the rules tinkering in the last couple of years. They're tying a hand behind the backs of defenses with the new PI rules which has led to way too many penalties, and the video challenges are deadening the pace of the game.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 2:35 PM
Community Guy

Looking forward to the Eskimo-Allblack home opener on Thursday, should be an interesting team to get to know.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:07 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Anyone know why the Toronto @ Calgary game this week is scheduled for Monday night? Is it because of Stampede?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 6:41 PM

SSP Pick'em league is shaping up to be a train wreck... I'm 1 and 7 and I'm still in third place!!!

Someone can still join the league now after sitting out the first two weeks and automatically bump me down to 4th without doing a thing.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 3:20 AM
Go Chiefs!

That crazy double OT Toronto-Saskatchewan game reminded me of the best/craziest CFL game ever played (in my opinion) on July 1, 2010.

Enjoy!
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 5:27 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Yeah, that one is hard to top.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 11:44 AM

^^

Insane!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
SSP Pick'em league is shaping up to be a train wreck... I'm 1 and 7 and I'm still in third place!!!

Someone can still join the league now after sitting out the first two weeks and automatically bump me down to 4th without doing a thing.
Somehow I'm in 1st. I have no idea how. I'm like 24th in the Reddit league.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 4:25 PM

^ I heard that underdogs are perfect against the spread this season.

I guess people can say what they want about the pace of the game and penalties, but no one can accuse the CFL of generating predictable outcomes this season...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 6:09 PM

I have not been very impressed with the Reebok CFL uniform styles at all.
Some guy on the internet has come up with a new Nike style for all the CFL teams.
His styles have hit the home run IMO.

He has done all 9 teams. Check them out!
http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/...5-winnipeg-76/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada