HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:59 PM

Pan-Am Games 2015

Since the Women's World Cup is over, now the focus is on the Pan-Am Games

Officially the Pan-Am Games start on Friday. However Water Polo started today.

Both the Canadian Men (6 pm) and Women (noon) play Brazil today.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:05 PM

Allen Vansen, an executive vice-president with the local organizing committee, said that nearly 800,000 tickets had been sold as of Monday morning. There are 1.2 million tickets available for the Pan Am Games, with the Opening Ceremony set for Friday, in Toronto.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...-will-come-out

Pan Ams have 1,200,000 tickets available. Parapan have 200,000 tickets available.

I am most excited for soccer, track and field and baksetball.

The mens soccer final is sold out, and the Brazil vs Canada opener is about 95% sold.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm on my phone and can't easily do it but someone should post that awesome promo commercial with all the sports taking place on the streets and surroundings of TO.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:35 PM
Community Guy

Great for legacy infra, but that's about it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm on my phone and can't easily do it but someone should post that awesome promo commercial with all the sports taking place on the streets and surroundings of TO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMv2dlC2JFQ

In all honesty I'm not that excited. It's all the young up-and-comers that may never end up good enough for the Olympics. All I'm happy about is that here in Hamilton we got our new stadium. That was the best part of the games

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 5:06 PM

^^^ not entirely true.

Andre de grasse is good enough for the olympics. One of the best sprinters in the world. Adam van koeverdan in kayakk has won olympic medals. Rosie mclenanan is the reigning gold medalist in gymnastics. Ryan cochrane olympic swimming medalist. Ian miller olympic equestrian medalist. The canM23 soccer team is essentially the olympic qualifying team come the fall.

Natalie coughlin 12 time olympic medalist. Ashton eaton reigning olympic champion.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMv2dlC2JFQ

In all honesty I'm not that excited. It's all the young up-and-comers that may never end up good enough for the Olympics. All I'm happy about is that here in Hamilton we got our new stadium. That was the best part of the games
The PanAm Games resonate more with our friends in Latin America and they tend to send their best. I don't know why the Games don't seem to strike the same chord here - I guess we're still muddled about which Hemisphere we live in!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 6:14 PM
Closed account

According to my coworker, it's not the Olympics, so it doesn't matter. I sometimes wonder if these sorts of people have ever gone to lower-tier games or events for amateur athletes. It can be just as much fun and just as thrilling. Who cares if it ends up being fractions of a second slower overall?

Edit: it actually makes me really annoyed. Most amateur athletes struggle to get by and compete in their sports. They compete in many events every year, but they only get the spotlight on them once every four years. The Panam games are an opportunity to support our athletes outside of the Olympics and instead people are turning their noses up at them because somehow these athletes are less world class now than they are in 2012 or 2016.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 6:20 PM

The biggest problem is the money wasted...over $3 billion for a sporting event that few people seem to care much about. I believe most of that money has ended up in the pockets of government insiders and their consultant buddies.

In 1999, Winnipeg spent about $150 million on them, and in 2011, Guadalajara spent about $800 million despite having extreme security issues due to Al Qaeda AND a local drug war.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:25 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
The biggest problem is the money wasted...over $3 billion for a sporting event that few people seem to care much about. I believe most of that money has ended up in the pockets of government insiders and their consultant buddies.

In 1999, Winnipeg spent about $150 million on them, and in 2011, Guadalajara spent about $800 million despite having extreme security issues due to Al Qaeda AND a local drug war.
Where are you getting that # from? My understanding is that it's $1.5 Billion. The additional $1 billion was for an athletes village which will be turned into condos after the games and where many of the units are already presold. The infrastructure, waterfront and transportation improvements we received out of this was well worth the price of admission!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:32 PM

I also heard the 3 billion number being tossed around.

In 2013, this article mentions it's pegged at 2.5 billion:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle15526211/

Any way you slice it, it's a lot of money for something that very few people actually care about.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Where are you getting that # from? My understanding is that it's $1.5 Billion. The additional $1 billion was for an athletes village which will be turned into condos after the games and where many of the units are already presold. The infrastructure, waterfront and transportation improvements we received out of this was well worth the price of admission!
As a Hamiltonian I am happy we got the games because we got huge improvements.

1) The new stadium was 70% funded by provincial and federal governments. The only way federal funds have been given out to stadiums has been if its attached to a major games. Hamilton would not have been able to 100% fund the stadium on their own, and the Ticats desperately needed a stadium.

2) the new West Harbour Go Station was fast tracked in time for the games which snow balled into funding for another GO station in East Hamilton on Centennial Parkway

And ill be attending some soccer and track events. I know of quite a few ppl who will be attending the games.

Sidenote: too bad the original pan am training pool got moved from Mac as they are still trying to secure funds for a new pool on campus. ditto for Copps Colliseum which was going to be initially used for boxing??. It could have used a couple million in renos.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:47 PM

Like the CFL I think the Pan Am games would have done better in a smaller Canadian market. For the participants however I think Toronto will provide them with a great experience.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Like the CFL I think the Pan Am games would have done better in a smaller Canadian market. For the participants however I think Toronto will provide them with a great experience.
I can agree with that. Toronto strikes me as a "big league city." AKA Olympics or nothing.

Even an Olympic bid you have to think would be spread out across the GTA to share costs.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:04 PM

Ah, here'd be a place to ask my question.

I will be going to a couple events, but I'm not planning to stay the night in Toronto. I was hoping to drive in from Kingston in the morning and drive home in the evening. I know my ticket also doubles as a transit pass for the day of the event on the ticket, so I was planning to drive to a train station *somewhere* and take the train into downtown. I've heard Kennedy is supposed to fill up pretty early in the morning. What about Go stations? If I drove into Oshawa at 9:00, would there be spots or anything? Any locals know?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post

I will be going to a couple events, but I'm not planning to stay the night in Toronto. I was hoping to drive in from Kingston in the morning and drive home in the evening. I know my ticket also doubles as a transit pass for the day of the event on the ticket, so I was planning to drive to a train station *somewhere* and take the train into downtown. I've heard Kennedy is supposed to fill up pretty early in the morning. What about Go stations? If I drove into Oshawa at 9:00, would there be spots or anything? Any locals know?
If you're driving down on a Saturday or Sunday there will for sure be parking spots.

Even during the week there is usually ample parking at GO Stations. Though coming in at 9am you may have to settle for a spot at the back of the parking lot/ garage.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:27 PM

The high price tag for the Pan-Am games is a bit false. Most of the costs cited are for infrastructure projects that really needed to happen anyway that the government used the Pan-Am games as an excuse to fast track for.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post

You considered taking the train from Kingston? The tickets might be pricey (especially as it's getting close to last minute and trains are probably in high demand) but on the other hand, VIA tickets can get surprisingly cheap sometimes.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
You considered taking the train from Kingston? The tickets might be pricey (especially as it's getting close to last minute and trains are probably in high demand) but on the other hand, VIA tickets can get surprisingly cheap sometimes.
I did check, but the tickets were right around thrice the price of gas. And that's for my awful truck, but yeah. It'll be a Friday, I think we'll just try to get in early in the AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 9:14 PM

Just wanted to stop by and congratulate Toronto for hosting its first Pan Am Games. Winnipeg has hosted twice so your halfway there to playing with the big boys!

On a serious note, while the games are no longer as prestigious as they once were back in the 60s and 70s (ie. US sent its A-team to the 1967 Pan Ams in Winnipeg including Mark Spitz aka the Michael Phelps of his day), they still draw their fair share of past and future medallists and notables.

At the 1999 Pan Am Games this included:

Emilie Heymans (diving)
Blythe Hartley (diving)
Jose Contreras (baseball)
Craig Paquette (baseball)
Mark Mulder (baseball)
Brad Penny (baseball)
Milton Bradley (baseball)
Adam Kennedy (baseball)
Todd McCulloch (basketball)
Manu Ginobli (basketball)
Brian Walton (cycling)
Clara Hughes (cycling)
Tanya Dubnicoff (cycling)
Alison Sydor (cycling)
Ian Miller (Equestrian)
Nicolas Gill (Judo)
Marnie McBean (Rowing)
Oscar Salazar (taekwondo)
Steven Lopez (taekwondo)
Simon Whitfield (triathalon)
De Rosario (soccer)
Landon Donavan (soccer)
Curtis Myden (swimming)
Joanne Malar (swimming)
Marianne Limpert (swimming)
Bernard Williams (track)
Donavan Bailey (track)
Glenroy Gilbert (track)
Chris Huffins (decathlon)
Marla Runyan (track)
Daniel Igali (wrestling)

There are more athletes who competed at the 1999 Pan Am games that medaled at previous or future Olympics. Trust me, it will be similar with the 2015 Pan Ams in Toronto.

It should be noted that 2 of the 3 Canadian gold medals at the 2000 Summer Olympics were awarded to Daniel Igali and Simon Whitfield, both participants and medallists at the 1999 Pan Am games.

Overall, the 1999 Pan Am games left me with some pretty good memories. I attended Boxing gold medal finals, Swimming finals and prelims, track and field including the 100 m final, soccer gold medal match, baseball gold medal match and the closing ceremonies.

All the events I attended were sold out with the exception of the closing ceremonies (might have been a couple thousand short) and the swimming which might have been a few hundred short. My best memories were:

- the swimming finals with Canada winning a couple gold medals - great atmosphere in the crowd but man was it humid in the building!
- the baseball finals with the US facing off against the Cubans - another setting with a great atmosphere with the Cuban fans pounding away at there steel drums in the outfield seats throughout the game
- the Forks packed every single night until the AM even on the weekday evenings
-closing ceremonies with Guess Who having their first reunion concert in over 20 years...back when that was a thing.

Only disappointment for myself was douche bag Donavan Bailey who did the absolute bare minimum to earn his $1 million paycheque from the Pan Am games comittee choosing only to participate in the 4 * 100 metre relay.

As I remember, there was supposed to be some sort of qualification for the 100 metre event. Apparently Bailey, being the rockstar that he was, thought he shouldn't have to go through this qualification process so he used this as an excuse to not participate in the event at the Pan Ams. Keep in mind that Bailey had suffered his achilles injury only a year and a half prior so maybe he was worried that he would not end up looking too good against mostly B level competition.

The 100 metre event was also marred by an injury to Bruny Surin, another top sprinter who was planning on participating in the the 100 metre prelims and presumably the final. IN case anyone forgets, Surin was one the top sprinters in the world at the time, top 10 maybe even top 5. So in the end what should have been one of the highlights, possibly even the highlight event of the 1999 Pan Am games turned out to be just another event at those games...but as I said previously I was generally left with warm memories.

Hope those who attend the games in Toronto and Hamilton are left with the same feelings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada