HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:09 PM

IMO all we need to become a contender again is a second line centre and another big body or two. Part of the problem in this series and this year in general was that we're a pretty small team. Morrissey and Pionk are great but they're both pretty small guys for your top 2 D men. Lowry is about our only big tough player, maybe Wheeler, and that's not enough to go far in this league. Kuli is a fairly big guy but man does he suck, hard to watch... sad that he's our highest paid D.

Skill/talent aside – losing Buff, Tanev, Chiarot, Myers (not tough but big) was a lot of size and grit to lose, we look small on the ice now.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Get what? I don't really understand the comment. It sounds like you feel the Jets have somehow uniquely failed as an organization because they once had the #2 pick and haven't won the cup? Confused.
No my issue is that during the first draft lottery this year, the 12th place stand in spot won the draft lottery. That is the spot the jets were in when the season ended. The Jets essentially won the draft lottery this year. I'm saying it feels like even when the jets win, they lose.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
No my issue is that during the first draft lottery this year, the 12th place stand in spot won the draft lottery. That is the spot the jets were in when the season ended. The Jets essentially won the draft lottery this year. I'm saying it feels like even when the jets win, they lose.
Ha... classic Winnipeg.

Nice that a bunch of plucky upstarts like the *checks notes* New York Rangers could benefit from that turn of events.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
IMO all we need to become a contender again is a second line centre and another big body or two. Part of the problem in this series and this year in general was that we're a pretty small team. Morrissey and Pionk are great but they're both pretty small guys for your top 2 D men. Lowry is about our only big tough player, maybe Wheeler, and that's not enough to go far in this league. Kuli is a fairly big guy but man does he suck, hard to watch... sad that he's our highest paid D.

Skill/talent aside – losing Buff, Tanev, Chiarot, Myers (not tough but big) was a lot of size and grit to lose, we look small on the ice now.
Totally agree about lack of size. Pionk was abysmal, a team low -6 during the series. Wheeler was next at -5. The Jets showed they could gut it out when they had the 3-2 win but then totally turtled in the 4-0 loss when the season was on the line. If Chevy is going to stick around, I think he has to realize that “draft and develop” is part the equation, but it has to be combined with strategic trades and smart free agent purchases. Waiting until the last minute to pick whatever’s available isn’t working.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 7:50 PM

It's rumour season! Here's one I just read today:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/0...-offer-to.html

Obviously, there's no way to know what may or may not be factual here, but it's kind of interesting. Anyone know much about the 2 Pittsburgh players they are talking about?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 8:13 PM

Jack Johnson is a former 3rd overall pick. One of those bust type picks. He's alright as a D-man. His parents stole all his money and he's broke.

Bjustad is a decent 2c.

If they send perreault and likely another prospect/pick would be a decent trade. Bascailly just replacing Little, lateral move. Depends on whether or not Little comes back I guess.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:41 PM

RIP Ducky.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:51 AM

Jets get a super-talented young centre with their 10th pick:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...2020-1.5752986

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:57 AM

Interesting to hear Bettman announcing tonight that the NHL is aiming for a return to play on January 1. I'll be curious to see what things will look like when it comes to fans in the buildings... Winnipeg is still probably one of the least affected NHL cities when it comes to covid and I still can't imagine that many people would be allowed to attend in person.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:59 AM

It's been noted that Bell MTS Place has the smallest vomitories, and some of (if not the) narrowest concourses in the NHL. Regardless of how many people could theoretically safely be seated in the bowl, the common areas will likely limit them even further.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's been noted that Bell MTS Place has the smallest vomitories, and some of (if not the) narrowest concourses in the NHL. Regardless of how many people could theoretically safely be seated in the bowl, the common areas will likely limit them even further.
It will be interesting to see what this means for attendance maximums. I would probably feel comfortable attending as long as there are no more than about 4,000 people in there... let's say about 1,500 people in each of the lower and upper decks, and about 1,000 people in the private boxes (more separation) and loges. But anything less than 100% capacity means that most people with season tickets won't actually get to attend all of the games... so what does that mean? Does it still count as a year in seatholder commitments? What if someone doesn't want to go period during a pandemic?

I am curious to see how they will sort this all out.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting to hear Bettman announcing tonight that the NHL is aiming for a return to play on January 1. I'll be curious to see what things will look like when it comes to fans in the buildings... Winnipeg is still probably one of the least affected NHL cities when it comes to covid and I still can't imagine that many people would be allowed to attend in person.
The only proposal I've heard kicking around is having a few bubble cities and have a group of teams fly in for two week intervals and play a bunch of games, then go home.

Fan attendance will obviously be at the discretion of the local health authorities but not sure that's really the NHLs priority at this point.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The only proposal I've heard kicking around is having a few bubble cities and have a group of teams fly in for two week intervals and play a bunch of games, then go home.

Fan attendance will obviously be at the discretion of the local health authorities but not sure that's really the NHLs priority at this point.
Yeah, it isn't a huge priority for me personally either. But I suspect it is a bigger deal for the individual franchises who will want to get butts in seats and have ticketholders start sending them money again.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:38 PM

Paul Stastny is apparently back with the Jets; from CBC news website:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...stny-1.5756772

Interesting development. Does this signal that Chevy is looking to keep Laine here and (relatively) happy??

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Paul Stastny is apparently back with the Jets; from CBC news website:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...stny-1.5756772

Interesting development. Does this signal that Chevy is looking to keep Laine here and (relatively) happy??
Or give him a chance to up his own trade value prior to him hitting RFA next year...either way, Stastny is a nice intermediate between Little and Perfetti, theoretically.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Or give him a chance to up his own trade value prior to him hitting RFA next year...either way, Stastny is a nice intermediate between Little and Perfetti, theoretically.
Excellent signing.

Stastny is a good upgrade from Little. The bonus is, he plays well with Laine and Ehlers. Having Stastny as a #2C will give Perfetti an extra year to play Junior, and continue to mature, before he takes Stastny's place in 2021.

Having said that, the Laine situation is a big problem from the franchise. What will the Jets do? Trade Laine (and possibly Roslovic), to get a #1 RHD and another #2 centre?

Only time will tell.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Excellent signing.

Stastny is a good upgrade from Little. The bonus is, he plays well with Laine and Ehlers. Having Stastny as a #2C will give Perfetti an extra year to play Junior, and continue to mature, before he takes Stastny's place in 2021.

Having said that, the Laine situation is a big problem from the franchise. What will the Jets do? Trade Laine (and possibly Roslovic), to get a #1 RHD and another #2 centre?

Only time will tell.
I think it will be tough for Perfetti to crack the line up in 2021. It took Sheif a number of years and he was very committed to improving in all areas to crack the squad.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I think it will be tough for Perfetti to crack the line up in 2021. It took Sheif a number of years and he was very committed to improving in all areas to crack the squad.
It only took Scheifele two years to crack the Jets lineup. He arguably could have made the team during the lockout shortened season, but perhaps the Jets wanted him to remain in Junior to develop. Having Hawerchuk mentor Scheifele really helped him out, and it did not hurt that Ducky sold him on Winnipeg.

If we look back at Jets players in the top 10 overall picks, it usually only took a year or so to make the lineup:

#7 Scheifele (2 years)
#9 Trouba (1 year)
#9 Ehlers (1 year)
#2 Laine (NHL ready)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:13 AM

Quote:
It only took Scheifele two years to crack the Jets lineup. He arguably could have made the team during the lockout shortened season, but perhaps the Jets wanted him to remain in Junior to develop. Having Hawerchuk mentor Scheifele really helped him out, and it did not hurt that Ducky sold him on Winnipeg.

If we look back at Jets players in the top 10 overall picks, it usually only took a year or so to make the lineup:

#7 Scheifele (2 years)
#9 Trouba (1 year)
#9 Ehlers (1 year)
#2 Laine (NHL ready)
Laine (NHL ready)

That is why it will be a huge mistake to trade him. He will only get better and better and players like him are a rare commodity and do not come around often

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:41 PM

Quote:

#7 Scheifele (2 years)
#9 Trouba (1 year)
#9 Ehlers (1 year)
#2 Laine (NHL ready)
I feel like Scheifele took 3 years. He was drafted in 2011 and didn't make the team in year 1 2011/12. The next year he didn't make the team for the 2012/13 season but then made the team in his 3rd year of eligibility 2013/14.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan