HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
And the lack of winterized plumbing or protection from water intrusions due to snow melts...
And the improperly laid concourse which needed to be removed and redone, AND that's just the stuff we know about!

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 9:18 PM

We get it. Got totally screwed on the bad design. Overall though the stadium is a great venue for the Bombers.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
We get it. Got totally screwed on the bad design. Overall though the stadium is a great venue for the Bombers.
Nothing better than beating a dead horse, why you denying me this pleasure dawg?

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 6:55 PM

I was looking for a dead horse gif but got distracted lol

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 11:00 PM
Ignore these four words.

I got you BJ.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:45 PM

hahah yes, thank you.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 2:54 PM

I was out by IG Field yesterday and I noticed that the SE gates are closed off and there is work underway. It looks like they are redoing the staircase... a pretty big undertaking. I'm not sure if they're fixing the stairs themselves, or dealing with something underneath.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 4:00 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe they just re-did those stairs a year or two ago.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 9:00 PM

Keeping the lawyers busy with all the litigation work, at least...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 5:29 PM

The turf at IG Field turns 10 this fall. I wonder if the Bombers are planning to replace it?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The turf at IG Field turns 10 this fall. I wonder if the Bombers are planning to replace it?
Not sure after how much they lost during covid-19 might be delayed by a year or two unless they get like a Garth Brooks concert in to bring in a couple extra million in revenue

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
I think there's still a big piece of land out by Polo Park that would be perfect. They'd have to buy out a Winners/Homesense and I think a contact centre of some kind, but they could hire someone who has actually built a stadium before to do the job this time. U of M could keep the current field for the Bisons. Win-win!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:55 PM

But seriously though, TD Place got new turf after 6 years!

Also thought it would be nice if they put in a new ribbon board, wider and stretching across the entire balcony. Other than that the place is in pretty good shape, not too many things really on my wishlist.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 7:52 PM

Yeah, it feels like it is a bit overdue at this point. Especially with Valour having played games there in 2019, all those games hosted in 2021 and now Valour playing another 14 plus games at IG field this year.

They have done a horrible job of attracting concerts to the new stadium. Although, in fairness, changes within the concert industry might play a factor in this decline. There was a whole one whopping concert at IG Field from 2015 - 2019 (5 years) prior to COVID. For perspective, In its final 2 decades of existence, dumpy CANAD Inns stadium never experienced this kind of drought.

And to think, the organization hoped to attract 3-4 concerts a year when the stadium opened.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 8:38 PM

^ IG Field attracted a couple big stadium shows a year for its first few years of existence, and they drew fairly well, pretty much sellout crowds to each. But yeah, from 2016 onward it really dropped off.

I suspect it has to do with the industry... it's not like there were tons of stadium tours crisscrossing Canada that just happened to skip over Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 8:51 PM

Quote:
^ IG Field attracted a couple big stadium shows a year for its first few years of existence, and they drew fairly well, pretty much sellout crowds to each. But yeah, from 2016 onward it really dropped off.

I suspect it has to do with the industry... it's not like there were tons of stadium tours crisscrossing Canada that just happened to skip over Winnipeg.
No there definitely aren't a lot. With that said, I had noticed from 2015 - present both Commonwealth Stadium and new Mosaic had attracted concerts that Winnipeg's promoters failed to attract.

When was the last time we attracted a soccer match involving the men's or women's team? I remember there was that women's match against Costa Rica I think back in 2018 or 2019. Perhaps we won't see an international match until the turf is replaced?

OH well, at least we attracted an NFL game. No other prairie city was able to do that. And it was a rousing success too!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:01 PM

LOL the NFL game... the most asinine event ever held at IG Field. I feel for anyone who actually spent money on that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:01 PM

Outside of the FIFA women’s world cup I think there was only a couple of friendly matches with the Women’s national team (USA on May 8 2014, and Costa Rica on June 8 2017). No men’s games as far as I remember. Seems like the men’s side is content keeping their games in bigger markets with guaranteed sellouts and more seating like Montreal, TO, Hamilton, Edmonton and Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:04 PM

^ The CANMNT has enough of a following now that a match in Winnipeg would sell out as long as the ticket prices weren't extortionate. I recall tickets were pretty reasonably priced for the matches in Edmonton last fall... at those prices or even slightly higher I think it would sell out.

But that said, I realize that there isn't a lot of international soccer apparatus in Winnipeg the same way there is in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver, so it may not be worth the hassle for them to do that here. It would still be nice to host a match once in a while.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
They have done a horrible job of attracting concerts to the new stadium. Although, in fairness, changes within the concert industry might play a factor in this decline.
As others have said stadium tours are a whole are effectively a dead industry. I am not sure the reasoning behind it but could be the move to natural grass in MLB stadiums making them less willing to host stadium concerts. That in turn pushes tours to be arena based. Also most markets now have arenas that are specifically designed with hosting concerts in mind unlike IG Field which seems to have be built with nothing in mind.

Quote:
Also thought it would be nice if they put in a new ribbon board, wider and stretching across the entire balcony.
The balcony ribbon board is definitely not a CFL thing, even in Vancouver with the complete overhaul of BC Place. I think it ultimately comes down to the main use of the ribbon boards - displaying sponsor information, and getting it seen on tv. The current field level boards are what are common in other supports like soccer so I think they are hear to stay as-is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan