HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Where is the West Houston master plan? Is that City Centre?
Not sure if it's City Centre or not, AviationGuy.

I was referring to the beautiful renderings Tower Spotter posted a couple of pages back in post #5303.

I've never been to Houston. While I have a general understanding of the layout of the metro area, a lot of what I see here frankly confuses me since I don't really know the specifics of the area and certain districts, neighborhoods, etc.

I am long overdue for a trip down there.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 2:45 AM

The metro rail was running on the North Line without being pulled near Patton and Cavalcade.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
Or Dallas......
THIS. i think we should all keep that in mind that Exxon could have chosen to move the workers to Dallas with the corporate headquarters. instead they made an enormous investment in the Houston area and i believe that could eventually lead to a corporate headquarters relocation to Houston, which would be a big deal. Houston already has the 4th largest Fortune 500 company in the US (Phillips 66)... (Exxon is #2) Exxon, along with the rumored eventual Chevron corporate relocation (#3) would be huge for the area and sealing the title we already claim of energy capital of the world.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Not sure if it's City Centre or not, AviationGuy.

I was referring to the beautiful renderings Tower Spotter posted a couple of pages back in post #5303.

I've never been to Houston. While I have a general understanding of the layout of the metro area, a lot of what I see here frankly confuses me since I don't really know the specifics of the area and certain districts, neighborhoods, etc.

I am long overdue for a trip down there.
West Houston master plans are not the same as CityCentre. unfortunately they may just be conceptual plans for what developers could do with the area. according to Swamplots article on West Houston part of the plot of land they had it planned for is the site for the new Belfoire tower, im not sure how accurate that is though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
West Houston master plans are not the same as CityCentre. unfortunately they may just be conceptual plans for what developers could do with the area. according to Swamplots article on West Houston part of the plot of land they had it planned for is the site for the new Belfoire tower, im not sure how accurate that is though.
Thanks, cloud713. I frankly didn't understand what AviationGuy was asking me, as I'm not familiar with CityCentre.

I love checking out this thread, but I obviously missed that proposal?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:06 AM

Exxon was never going to leave Houston and move 20,000+ employees away from the energy capital.

As for how well it is being received, we'll see. Personally, I think Exxon made a mistake. The energy business already has an aging workforce and is finding it hard to find qualified candidates. I know a handful of long time Exxon employees who are PISSED OFF about their moves. These are guys that have spent 10-30 years building their lives in West U, Tanglewood, and Southampton (they worked downtown or near Greenway Plaza) and now they are looking at MUCH longer commutes or uprooting their families. I know one who is planning on retiring early and one who is busy with every head hunter in town looking to jump ship to Chevron, Shell, or anyone located closer to his home in Southside Place. I'd imagine there are quite a few folks who might be doing the same.

Exxon is taking a gamble that this campus will help set them apart whereas Chevron and Shell have chosen the opposite by remaining and expanding their downtown digs. Most younger folks I know would choose downtown over Springwoods if all other things were equal (pay, hours, benefits, etc...).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:19 AM
Ex Houstonian

I'm sure the move to the burbs was pushed by the higher ups who are most likely baby boomers or older and still think downtowns are like they were during the 70s.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 5:44 AM

2929 Weslayan c/o aarosurf

21 Eleven c/o Jax

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Thanks, cloud713. I frankly didn't understand what AviationGuy was asking me, as I'm not familiar with CityCentre.

I love checking out this thread, but I obviously missed that proposal?
The West Houston master plan is the one you commented on a page or so back. unless you mean the Belfoire? in which case the proposal is here.. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...light=Belfiore

CityCentre is a great mixed use development thats been wildly successful off of i10 and Beltway 8 west. http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...-13?hl=%20town

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:08 PM

Marquette Cos. planning "a couple of highrise's in downtown", totaling more than 350 unit's. The firm will also be selling bit's of land in Galveston to developers.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...ave-in-common/

Quote:
Managing director Darren Sloniger tells us Downtown feels like Chicago (where he's based) did 20 years ago. (We just wish the city had a winning basketball team like Chicago did 20 years ago.) The City's new retail strategy, focus on parks, and residential incentive all point to a submarket about to take off. He's doing due diligence on a few sites, and tells us he'd like to develop a couple high-rise projects totaling about 350 units Downtown.
Quote:
And the firm is gearing up its 1,000-acre Preserve at West Beach project (site plan above). The development's first sale closes in a few weeks, 157 acres to Artist's Boat. The site will be preserved and used to teach kids about nature. Darren tells us the rest of the project will be sold in manageable bites to developers, including two beachfront tracts (one for single family and one for a hotel).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:43 PM

Richmond Landing

source

Macy's Site

link

806 Main

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 7:30 PM

I'm so tired of hearing about how Exxon made a mistake. Are all of you so naive as to think the company didn't do its research as to where to build a campus? Are all of you so all-knowing that you have inside info that Exxon doesn't? It's a grand delusion if you think so.

Big deal that they moved to The Woodlands area. There are a lot of big companies in The Woodlands including Anadarko, Baker Hughes, Oncology, Woodforest and the soon-to-be headquarters of Southwest Energy.

I'm 27 years old. Frankly, I couldn't give a rats behind of location. I'd go where the money is. Exxon will remain competitive as far as employment opportunities go because they have to be. They know there are too many other places to work in Houston. And frankly, a 20-something year old would be rather foolish not to strongly consider and or accept a first job with such a landmark company---given no other opportunities. Not everybody considers downtown 'the place' to be. Not everybody wants to fight the traffic. Not everybody cremes their shorts when they look at downtown highrises.

Money talks.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
I'm so tired of hearing about how Exxon made a mistake. Are all of you so naive as to think the company didn't do its research as to where to build a campus? Are all of you so all-knowing that you have inside info that Exxon doesn't? It's a grand delusion if you think so.

Big deal that they moved to The Woodlands area. There are a lot of big companies in The Woodlands including Anadarko, Baker Hughes, Oncology, Woodforest and the soon-to-be headquarters of Southwest Energy.

I'm 27 years old. Frankly, I couldn't give a rats behind of location. I'd go where the money is. Exxon will remain competitive as far as employment opportunities go because they have to be. They know there are too many other places to work in Houston. And frankly, a 20-something year old would be rather foolish not to strongly consider and or accept a first job with such a landmark company---given no other opportunities. Not everybody considers downtown 'the place' to be. Not everybody wants to fight the traffic. Not everybody cremes their shorts when they look at downtown highrises.

Money talks.
You win

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post
i'm so tired of hearing about how exxon made a mistake. Are all of you so naive as to think the company didn't do its research as to where to build a campus? Are all of you so all-knowing that you have inside info that exxon doesn't? It's a grand delusion if you think so.

Big deal that they moved to the woodlands area. There are a lot of big companies in the woodlands including anadarko, baker hughes, oncology, woodforest and the soon-to-be headquarters of southwest energy.

I'm 27 years old. Frankly, i couldn't give a rats behind of location. I'd go where the money is. Exxon will remain competitive as far as employment opportunities go because they have to be. They know there are too many other places to work in houston. And frankly, a 20-something year old would be rather foolish not to strongly consider and or accept a first job with such a landmark company---given no other opportunities. Not everybody considers downtown 'the place' to be. Not everybody wants to fight the traffic. Not everybody cremes their shorts when they look at downtown highrises.

Money talks.

amen!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 10:33 PM

More updates, big thanks to Cloud713 on HAIF, also here on SSP.

Waterwall Place

Astoria

Hanover Post Oak

2929 Weslayan

The Sovereign

Skyhouse

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
Marquette Cos. planning "a couple of highrise's in downtown", totaling more than 350 unit's. The firm will also be selling bit's of land in Galveston to developers.

skyhouse is 336 units in one 24 story tower.. i dont see this being multiple towers for just ">350 units", unless they meant a couple of towers with ~350 units each..? if its just ">350" total, multiple towers would be pretty short. if it is 2 towers hopefully they are on top of a garage so they will have a little more height, but i would like to see them just go for one taller residential tower that would be visible in the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
skyhouse is 336 units in one 24 story tower.. i dont see this being multiple towers for just ">350 units", unless they meant a couple of towers with ~350 units each..? if its just ">350" total, multiple towers would be pretty short. if it is 2 towers hopefully they are on top of a garage so they will have a little more height, but i would like to see them just go for one taller residential tower that would be visible in the skyline.
I hope they meant that each one is going to be 350 units, I am just saying what they wrote.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 1:21 AM

Repost with image.

Quote:
Managing director Darren Sloniger tells us Downtown feels like Chicago (where he's based) did 20 years ago. (We just wish the city had a winning basketball team like Chicago did 20 years ago.) The City's new retail strategy, focus on parks, and residential incentive all point to a submarket about to take off. He's doing due diligence on a few sites, and tells us he'd like to develop a couple high-rise projects totaling about 350 units Downtown.

Quote:
And the firm is gearing up its 1,000-acre Preserve at West Beach project (site plan above). The development's first sale closes in a few weeks, 157 acres to Artist's Boat. The site will be preserved and used to teach kids about nature. Darren tells us the rest of the project will be sold in manageable bites to developers, including two beachfront tracts (one for single family and one for a hotel).

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 1:22 AM

Quote:
I hope they meant that each one is going to be 350 units, I am just saying what they wrote.
for sure, thanks for posting that.. its news to me (though not surprising), and nice to see more residential activity for downtown. im just trying to relate the info they gave to the size of the potential towers. i guess time will tell..

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 2:52 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:

Ha! How about a winning baseball team?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations