HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 8:16 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
As expected, like most US BRT projects, the sexy futuristic bespoke buses shown in renderings and promised to taxpayers in fact just end up being an ugly bulbous New Flyer with an RV paint job.
I'm not so familiar with the project that I could tell you one way or the other whether the special buses rendered were a concept or something promised. That said, I can tell you right now that this particular community probably couldn't care less about that aspect of the project, though. Grand Rapids is probably the most fiscally conservative central city in the state, which is why you get a "BRT" line for only $40.

It really just depends on the expectations of the community. Down the road in Lansing and Detroit, for instance, they are earch developing BRT lines well over $100 million dollars. The Detroit line is not directly comparable to either of these lines, since it's far longer at 27 miles. But, the planned Lansing line is comparable and length, and it projected to cost over three times he costs of Grand Rapid's Silver Line because of all the bells-and-whistles.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation