HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
With the exception of an exponentially better food scene due to the physical size of the city, what does Kelowna not offer that Vancouver does?
Multicultural population, an Oceanic climate (lot of people do not like temperature extremes), International Airport, Historic neighborhoods, Cultural amenities (Galleries, Museums, Opera, Symphony) - Vancouver is not great in this space but light years ahead of anything else in BC outside Victoria. If these things mean little to you by all means move to the Interior, as I find the demographic that does so do not.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 8:27 AM
perhaps . . .

Interesting discussion (the Kelowna part). Comparing Kelowna and Vancouver is beyond silly . . . and unnecessary. Vancouver is just big enough to satisfy me and mine, but it's plain to me that Kelowna is a great city with an attractive potential lifestyle. I would think that most Canadians, if put into Kelowna, would adapt and find a great setting for a rich life and success.

How many hours between Kelowna and Sun Peaks?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Multicultural population, an Oceanic climate (lot of people do not like temperature extremes), International Airport, Historic neighborhoods, Cultural amenities (Galleries, Museums, Opera, Symphony) - Vancouver is not great in this space but light years ahead of anything else in BC outside Victoria. If these things mean little to you by all means move to the Interior, as I find the demographic that does so do not.
Good points. Definitely more applicable to some more than others.

Having grown up in Europe, the "cultural" aspects of Vancouver leave a lot to be desired and are definitely not the main draw for me, but can clearly see how they would be for other people.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Those are actually some of the reasons why I moved to the coast after having lived in Kelowna for 9 years. Particularly the oceanic climate. I dont mind the rain. I like the Okanagan, but I wasn't a fan of Kelowna's perpetually grey valley cloud winters.

Last edited by rdave; Mar 20, 2021 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Interesting discussion (the Kelowna part). Comparing Kelowna and Vancouver is beyond silly . . . and unnecessary. Vancouver is just big enough to satisfy me and mine, but it's plain to me that Kelowna is a great city with an attractive potential lifestyle. I would think that most Canadians, if put into Kelowna, would adapt and find a great setting for a rich life and success.

How many hours between Kelowna and Sun Peaks?
Just under 3 hours.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post
Those are actually some of the reasons why I moved to the coast after having lived in Kelowna for 9 years. Particularly the oceanic climate. I dont mind the rain. I like the Okanagan, but I wasn't a fan of Kelowna's perpetually grey valley cloud winters.
Kelowna is Vancouver minus the perpetual rain. The prairies is where you want to be for winter sun. (No, I'll take perpetually grey but warm over -30 and sunny)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Lol.

Your post is proof of "to each his own."

I can't live through another rainy Vancouver winter.

The socked in, but also often enough blue bird days the OK has, to me, are so much more preferable to months of rain, even though the average temp might be 10-15 higher.

I also love hot summer nights - the air hot and sticky with electric friction. Feels like summer. Love that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Lol.

Your post is proof of "to each his own."

I can't live through another rainy Vancouver winter.

The socked in, but also often enough blue bird days the OK has, to me, are so much more preferable to months of rain, even though the average temp might be 10-15 higher.

I also love hot summer nights - the air hot and sticky with electric friction. Feels like summer. Love that.
Absolutely.

The Okanagan has some fantastic weather no doubt. But again, there are people such as myself who prefer the greener coastal vegetation and cooler mid-20s breeze.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:05 AM

There was a development application for yet another rental high rise on Bertram. 16 storey near the corner of Cawston and Bertram, in behind the future UBC downtown campus. I couldn’t find any renderings yet but here is the link to the application.
https://www.kelowna.ca/homes-buildin...ents/dp21-0065

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Absolutely.

The Okanagan has some fantastic weather no doubt. But again, there are people such as myself who prefer the greener coastal vegetation and cooler mid-20s breeze.
And for that, bless you. Takes all kinds! I definitely agree on the lush greenery of the coast. It feels great on the eyes. Some of the fern forests we have up the mountains, unreal. Love that.

But that aside, I feel like I have paid my dues on the coast. It literally feels like "Escape from Vancouver" for me. Only there's no Kurt Russel in sight.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbush View Post
There was a development application for yet another rental high rise on Bertram. 16 storey near the corner of Cawston and Bertram, in behind the future UBC downtown campus. I couldn’t find any renderings yet but here is the link to the application.
Taken into account there is nearing 30 towers proposed or under construction, even if only say 50% pan out, that's 15 towers that are going up.

This is a lot of work for years. Great for the local economy - its an ongoing injection of cash into the medium term future.

Hard to complain about that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerbush View Post

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...325%201329.pdf

Here’s a link for the proposal (link wasn’t available yesterday) with some renderings of the building.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrescata View Post
http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...325%201329.pdf

Here’s a link for the proposal (link wasn’t available yesterday) with some renderings of the building.
The tower is fine.

But I am a big fan of the brick finish at street level - that should make it quite appealing.

Last edited by rofina; Mar 23, 2021 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 9:52 PM

Not a bad little rental tower, pretty standard Vancouver-esque rental building design. Adding to a number of other rental projects on that street (including the BC Housing project), that will add a big mix of rental tenure downtown.

As an aside, the townhouse interface with Bertram looks great.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 12:01 AM

Looks really average. There aren't many world class designs going to downtown. The one that comes to mind is the Westcorp Tower which has been MIA. Then maybe the One Water Towers. The rest are very average and cookie cutter...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaResident View Post
Looks really average. There aren't many world class designs going to downtown. The one that comes to mind is the Westcorp Tower which has been MIA. Then maybe the One Water Towers. The rest are very average and cookie cutter...
I tend to agree with you...it looks a little bleh.....at least the tower portion.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:58 PM

Joyce Station special comes to mind. But they probably figure it's lower profile away from major streets and a chance to get more "affordable" spec buildings into downtown.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:56 PM

I think it's not too far away till Kelowna gets a Landmark tower.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:01 PM

Well, the 7th Landmark tower is being built as we speak.

Ok, we can argue that Landmark 3, 4, and 5 are not towers.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 4:53 PM

Haha, I was thinking more of a landmark in design, not in name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia