HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
In extremely surprising news, Projects International submitted a Rezoning Pre-Submittal Conference Request this week for their project at Speedway and Campbell. So, it's not dead after all.
Great to hear this! Hopefully this project will be a harbinger of increased density.

In other news on dead projects, according to this article UA will finish their "funding strategy" for the innovation building at the tech-park at the bridges and wants to start construction by the end of the physical year. About time since that place has been lying fallow for like 5 years now.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatmd View Post
Great to hear this! Hopefully this project will be a harbinger of increased density.

In other news on dead projects, according to this article UA will finish their "funding strategy" for the innovation building at the tech-park at the bridges and wants to start construction by the end of the physical year. About time since that place has been lying fallow for like 5 years now.
Fiscal year, not physical year. Fiscal years may run from July-June, or any other period, though it usually starts for most places in January, April, July, or October, with July being for most governmental organizations.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Fiscal year, not physical year. Fiscal years may run from July-June, or any other period, though it usually starts for most places in January, April, July, or October, with July being for most governmental organizations.
UA's starts 7/1.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
Does anyone have more information on the possible CVS Drug Store in the Chicago Building? An announcement was made 2 months ago that a letter of intent had been signed, but there's no activity at the building and no announcement that it will be opening.
CVS is no longer moving in Chicago Building. Plummeting CVS stocks... probably thanks to Amazon

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:01 AM

Quote:
In extremely surprising news, Projects International submitted a Rezoning Pre-Submittal Conference Request this week for their project at Speedway and Campbell. So, it's not dead after all.
Is there a link for this?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Is there a link for this?
It's on PRO. Documents show up on the western parcel of what makes up Palm Shadows.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:26 PM

It hasn't been put out there by the media, but it has been discussed and mentioned in an open discussion...the Brewers are taking proposals for a Spring Training site here in S. Az. Needless to say, they are shopping around other jurisdictions in Az.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
It hasn't been put out there by the media, but it has been discussed and mentioned in an open discussion...the Brewers are taking proposals for a Spring Training site here in S. Az. Needless to say, they are shopping around other jurisdictions in Az.
I just saw an article about them asking for ~70 million from Gilbert to add to their 20 million contribution to build a 90 million dollar stadium.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:09 PM

Here's an updated image of the banner tower

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
I just saw an article about them asking for ~70 million from Gilbert to add to their 20 million contribution to build a 90 million dollar stadium.
Well, Tucson doesn't have that kind of money, especially for a franchise that won't draw. Maybe if it was the Cubs, DBacks, or Dodgers - teams that would draw down here, they could justify it. I just looked them up and they moved into their facility in 1998. When I was a kid in Illinois I used to visit my grandparents in Chandler every spring and go see them play in Chandler. I'd love to see some spring training games down here, but $70 million for a stadium is ridiculous.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:32 AM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Good find. I like the modernism for that area. Was thinking it would be a stucco-based monstrosity so, if it ends up looking like the Optical Sciences building at UA, that's fine by me.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:46 PM

News on some possible downtown development from the recent Rio Nuevo meeting.

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...61fa80e18.html

"The Flores family, responsible for El Charro Café, Charro Steak, Sir Veza’s Taco Garage and the Stillwell House & Gardens, negotiated an agreement to buy out the lease interest of the H2O Discotec at 61 E. Congress St., Zen Rock nightclub at 121 E. Congress St. and the former Betty Gay building at 125 E. Congress St. Flores Concepts intends to renovate, re-brand and reopen all three establishments."

"The Board also authorized a Request for Proposal to be issued in conjunction with the development of Pima County’s parking lot at 77 E. Broadway Blvd., between North Scott Avenue and South Sixth Avenue and north of the Tucson Electric Power headquarters. The District will seek competitive proposals offering to develop a high-rise, mixed-use project to include retail, parking and Class A office space."

"The Board also unanimously authorized the submission of a new Planned Area Development for the area around the Tucson Convention Center in order to accommodate a new 125-bed convention center hotel proposed by Caliber Hospitality. "

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with Ted on this one. First impression is that its an eyesore...no sign of creativity nor any sign of architectural attention that would be worthy of paying a consultant. Damn.

I do hope a different elevation or angle changes my opinion on this.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
News on some possible downtown development from the recent Rio Nuevo meeting.

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...61fa80e18.html

"The Board also authorized a Request for Proposal to be issued in conjunction with the development of Pima County’s parking lot at 77 E. Broadway Blvd., between North Scott Avenue and South Sixth Avenue and north of the Tucson Electric Power headquarters. The District will seek competitive proposals offering to develop a high-rise, mixed-use project to include retail, parking and Class A office space."

"The Board also unanimously authorized the submission of a new Planned Area Development for the area around the Tucson Convention Center in order to accommodate a new 125-bed convention center hotel proposed by Caliber Hospitality. "
Perhaps 77 E. Broadway will be the first 10 or 10+ story building in downtown since 1986. Yet, relative to Tucson cynicism..."high-rise" can mean 5 stories.

Whatever the amount of rooms the Caliber hotel ends up being, the accommodation (need) and infill (density) are appropriate and timely.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 11:35 PM

Hate the new caterpillar design, it has the right materials but they're not assembled to compliment each other. It has some good qualities in small amounts but overall it's an eyesore. The building has zero flow. It's monolithic and unoriginal. Hopefully it's revised soon. A little tweaking can go a long way! I must say that I'm grateful for the plaza designed in and the jobs it'll bring but this is just a poor design. Tucson needs more stunning buildings downtown, with the exception of 1 South Church, I'd say the historic buildings are outperforming the newer ones in terms of aesthetics.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
Hate the new caterpillar design, it has the right materials but they're not assembled to compliment each other. It has some good qualities in small amounts but overall it's an eyesore. The building has zero flow. It's monolithic and unoriginal. Hopefully it's revised soon. A little tweaking can go a long way! I must say that I'm grateful for the plaza designed in and the jobs it'll bring but this is just a poor design. Tucson needs more stunning buildings downtown, with the exception of 1 South Church, I'd say the historic buildings are outperforming the newer ones in terms of aesthetics.
Yep. For the same price with better architects. Downtown Tucson has the chance to make it's mark as one of the best downtowns in the world.

Downtown eyesore of the year - McCormick townhomes (right in the middle of downtown). Tried to like it at any angle. It's just plain butt ugly.

Last edited by farmerk; Aug 12, 2017 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:16 AM

http://tucson.com/business/what-s-go...a350c2343.html

Anyone know anything about the project at 2850 E Drexel? 14 million and 400,000 square feet is a big project!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:42 AM

Quote:
http://tucson.com/business/what-s-go...a350c2343.html

Anyone know anything about the project at 2850 E Drexel? 14 million and 400,000 square feet is a big project!
It's this: https://realestatedaily-news.com/cha...ucsons-ward-5/

I had no idea this company existed in Tucson until this expansion was announced.

EDIT - Just saw the final bullet about the Oregano's at Irvington and 19. Bourne has quickly leased quite a bit of that power center.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 6:35 AM

Quote:
It's this: https://realestatedaily-news.com/cha...ucsons-ward-5/

I had no idea this company existed in Tucson until this expansion was announced.

EDIT - Just saw the final bullet about the Oregano's at Irvington and 19. Bourne has quickly leased quite a bit of that power center.
Oh, very cool. Thanks for the info!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest