HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:10 PM

Looks like the hotel near HIA finally broke ground.

Article here:

Comfort Inn hotel construction near HIA might speed up development

http://www.pressandjournal.com/stori...elopment,16088

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:26 PM

I was wondering when this was going to happen:

Senate Plaza development: Retail, hospitality expected to give neighborhood new look, added services

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20170728...added-services

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 4:37 PM
somewhere in-between

I've been out of the loop of goings-on in Harrisburg ever since we moved from central PA to Michigan 2 years ago. I recently discovered this thread, thanks for the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdman View Post
I was wondering when this was going to happen:

Senate Plaza development: Retail, hospitality expected to give neighborhood new look, added services

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20170728...added-services
The Senate Plaza area is a blast from the architectural past; anything that will be done here will likely be an improvement, at least in terms of activating the area more and making it feel less stuck in the 1970s. Not that gas stations and fast food joints are something to jump up and down about. But the 5-story apartment building might have some potential.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 4:27 PM

Train/Bus Station Expansion?

Which one’s best? Harrisburg bus, train station expansion down to
three sites

http://www.planthekeystone.com/PDF_s...hree_sites.pdf

Again, Older news, But I haven't seen this posted previously.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:26 PM

If you were wondering what that big building off of 81 is in Cumberland county, It is NOT a prison

Sketch plan unveiled for new Cumberland Valley School District campus

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...for_new_c.html

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 12:40 AM
somewhere in-between

We are spending the Labor Day weekend in and around Lewisburg PA (about 60 miles north of Harrisburg); a place near and dear to my heart. This town that I used to live in has changed little, but a few miles south, some huge changes are taking shape, in the form of the long-awaited Central Susquehanna Valley Thruway project. This estimated $620 million highway bypass infrastructure project, the centerpiece of which is a massive new concrete bridge over the Susquehanna River, is far from complete, but some of the massive concrete piers that will support the bridge deck are already soaring above the surrounding fields. When finished, it is expected to alleviate heavy traffic conditions along US Route 15 through Hummels Wharf, Shamokin Dam, and Selinsgrove. It will provide a more direct route for those going between Williamsport and Harrisburg. I have heard that the bridge itself will be one of the highest pier-suported concrete highway bridges in the state. I believe the estimated completion date for everything is 2024.

Even though it's a ways north of Harrisburg, I thought it would be appropriate to post some quick-and-dirty driveby photos that I shot today on this thread. Here's the link to the official project website.

Up along Ridge Road, which will ultimately connect to the northern side of the bridge:

Concrete piers u/c in the distance, on the far (west) bank of the river:

Close up:

Another view from Ridge road, into the valley:

Underneath 147, where an adjacent overpass is being constructed, I think for what will eventually be the northbound traffic coming from the bridge:

I probably won't be back in the region for another year at least. I would love it if anyone else was able to post occasional updates. The last time something this expensive was constructed in the valley was....I think ...probably never...

Last edited by deja vu; Sep 3, 2017 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 12:58 AM
somewhere in-between

Someone at the Daily Item was able to take some better close-up photos than I. These are from an article posted on August 28, 2017. According to the article, the bridge completion is estimated to be completed by 2020. I think the 2024 date is for the rest of the work - the interchanges, highway extensions, etc. Trumbull Construction Company, out of Pittsburgh, is the primary contractor for the bridge structure. The tallest of the piers is 200 feet, from b.o. footing to t.o. deck:

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 4:58 PM
Me?!?

/\
What in the hell?!? I haven't been that way in years and had no idea! I have mixed feelings about this and will have to do some research.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:53 PM

Vartan's newly-named Susquehanna Union Green project enters land development phase

Vartan's newly-named Susquehanna Union Green project enters land development phase

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171012...elopment-phase

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:59 PM

Looks like Harrisburg is also trying to win Amazon:

Chamber, CREDC seek public input on Amazon bid

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171003...-on-amazon-bid

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:09 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Looks like Harrisburg is also trying to win Amazon:

Chamber, CREDC seek public input on Amazon bid

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171003...-on-amazon-bid
To state the obvious, a Harrisburg-Amazon HQ2 is a long shot. But I like the effort that the Harrisburg Regional Chamber & CREDC put into creating renderings and a conceptual masterplan for the company, based around the former Harrisburg State Hospital Site, which DGS has been hoping to sell to anyone for a while. We know that this is the one-and-only site being offered in Harrisburg's bid; what we don't know is what types of financial incentives were included in the submitted proposal. Seems like wishful thinking to me, but if nothing else, this exercise shows what huge potential that site would have, should the right investor come along.

Image Source: Central Penn Business Journal

Images Source: The Burg News

Quote:
Chamber unveils Amazon designs, not financial incentives
Central Penn Business Journal
October 20, 2017

We now know what an Amazon.com campus in Dauphin County could look like, but details on what it might cost to bring such a facility here are still a secret.

Officials with the Harrisburg Regional Chamber and Capital Region Economic Development Corp. (CREDC) on Thursday hosted a press conference to talk about their pitch to Amazon to bring "HQ2," as its proposed second headquarters have been dubbed, to the former Harrisburg State Hospital site. Joined by representatives from Dauphin County, the City of Harrisburg and Susquehanna Township, chamber President and CEO Dave Black announced that the agency's bid had been submitted to Amazon in hard copy earlier this week, ahead of Thursday's deadline...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:58 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171012...elopment-phase
This is a huge development for that corner. I'm generally skeptical of these kinds of 'new urbanist' developments, that are inward-oriented, disconnected from the surrounding urban landscape, and have homogenous architecture. Pittsburgh-based landscape architecture & planning firm LaQuatra Bonci does do some good quality urban design work though. I don't know too much about Tono Group, that did the masterplan.

From the article:

Images Source: CPBJ

Some older imagery:

Images Source: Twitter / Vartan Group

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:10 PM

Harristown to convert empty office building into apartments

By Jason Scott

Quote:
Harristown Enterprises Inc. is adding another project to its slate of construction sites in downtown Harrisburg.

The owner of the mixed-use Strawberry Square complex today said it plans to convert a long-vacant office building in the heart of restaurant row into a new upscale apartment complex.

A Harristown affiliate has signed an agreement to buy 221 N. Second St., which is next to Hornung's True Value hardware store, and redevelop it.

The plan for the 11,000-square-foot building calls for 12 apartments — 10 one-bedroom units and two two-bedroom rentals — and a small first-floor retail space.

Brad Jones, Harristown's president and CEO, said he expects the whole project, including purchase of the building, will cost about $1.8 million.

A Harristown apartment study in January said Harrisburg has the potential to absorb as many as 300 new market-rate apartments over the next three years.

"Upscale apartments in the downtown are in high demand," Jones said.

The challenge has been finding space for multifamily projects. Many of the recent apartment projects, including those done by Harristown, have involved converting older office spaces to residential rentals.

Jones said he's hoping to get through the land development process for 221 N. Second St. over the next few months.

Once the project approved, construction is expected to take about six months, he said. Susquehanna Township-based A.P. Williams would serve as construction manager on the project and Camp Hill-based By Design Consultants Inc. would design it.

Harristown recently announced plans to demolish the long-vacant Coronet restaurant building at 21 S. Second St., which is next to the Crowne Plaza hotel. Tearing down the vacant and blighted three-story building will make room for a new six-story commercial building that will cater to professional office users and first-floor retail.

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171017...nto-apartments

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
To state the obvious, a Harrisburg-Amazon HQ2 is a long shot. But I like the effort that the Harrisburg Regional Chamber & CREDC put into creating renderings and a conceptual masterplan for the company, based around the former Harrisburg State Hospital Site, which DGS has been hoping to sell to anyone for a while. We know that this is the one-and-only site being offered in Harrisburg's bid; what we don't know is what types of financial incentives were included in the submitted proposal. Seems like wishful thinking to me, but if nothing else, this exercise shows what huge potential that site would have, should the right investor come along.

Image Source: Central Penn Business Journal

Images Source: The Burg News

Whoa... this is nice!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 11:13 PM
Me?!?

Wow, that "Vartown" site has been in the works for as long as I can remember (we are talking decades here) and this is better than some of the other garbage I have seen proposed there.

I wonder if Amazon would even consider da burg but it is not a bad option at all when you think about it. However, I think in the long run it would probably create more problems than benefits.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 12:41 PM

Planning effort underway to remake Harrisburg's Market Square

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171023...-market-square

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 6:45 PM

It would have been interesting to see a joint bid between Harrisburg-Lancaster-York. Such a proposal could have been the impetus behind reviving the discussion behind a new iteration of Corridor One or in general regional infrastructure improvements. The joint bid itself would have been a good exercise of regional planning and cooperation despite having long-shot odds. It was somewhat amusing to see Lisa Riggs, president of the Economic Development Company of Lancaster County, eschewing Harrisburg's bid and instead writing in support of Philadelphia's bid.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:44 PM

Grocery store opening this week in downtown Harrisburg

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20171030...own-harrisburg

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 9:03 PM

I agree. Central PA has so much potential, but there is so much competition amongst each municipality in the region. AOL founder Stave Case held a Rise of the Rest tour in Harrisburg this fall, and commented Central PA, indeed has all the assets of a 1.2 Million person metro to make it great, but it is so disenfranchised that it does not capture its potential.

We really need some regional leaders to form a coalition to share cost of services, and also share cost of benefits with one another. This way a more regional mindset can be developed, and in terms of economic development better planning can be implemented, especially in targeting more cohesive and strategic land use planning.

The sprawl of the region is really starting to cut out quality of life and add a negative.

I also think there is huge potential for leaders to partner with Penn State, State College, and establish a tech/entrepreneurial incubator in Harrisburg. The Harrisburg metro is the closest, sizable/significant metro to PSU, and there is tremendous opportunity with Economic Development on that front.

Also the region desperately needs to improve public transit. First implementing some Bus Rapid Transit lines, and some TOD development would be a huge start. The region will continue to become more attractive as cost of living continues to increase in NYC, DC and Philadelphia. In the past young leaders would seek better opportunities in those cities, because they were so close to Harrisburg.

But now that they are not as sustainable in terms of living, Harrisburg really has a chance to live out its potential.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:38 PM

Huge News!!!

Harrisburg University is sending out RFP for mixed use building at corner of 3rd and Chestnut. (Currently a surface lot).

Plan calls for School of Pharmacy and School of Nursing, hotel and student housing, calling for about 500,000 square feet. The proposal also allots the developer to add additional residential space for apartments etc. Given the lot size and the potential to have 600,000 square feet, this looks to be over 400 feet, possibly 500 feet and I would say around 20 - 30 stories.

This is huge news for Harrisburg, and most certainly kicks off some new momentum for the city!

https://theburgnews.com/news/healthc...own-harrisburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations