HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:45 PM
Proud Homer!

The new 'cool' cities for Millennials

Cover Story
Millennials, searching for urban ‘authenticity,’ are settling in cities that were often shunned in the past, such as Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Detroit.
By Stephanie Hanes, Correspondent
Christian Science Monitor
FEBRUARY 1, 2015

BALTIMORE — When Clara Gustafson, a recent graduate of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., told her friends that she was moving to Baltimore, a lot of them looked at the 24-year-old as if she were crazy. “You’re going to live in The Wire!” the Portland, Ore., native remembers them saying – a reference to the HBO series focused on the illegal drug trade, set in her soon-to-be hometown. “I didn’t know what to expect,” she says.

But Ms. Gustafson had snagged a prestigious fellowship with a new organization called Venture for America, which matches talented young people with start-up companies in cities such as Detroit, Cincinnati, and Providence, R.I. – cities that are not traditional magnets for college graduates. And she was thrilled when she got a job offer from a cybersecurity start-up called ZeroFOX, based in one of Baltimore’s downtown neighborhoods. So she packed up and moved to the town that boosters call Charm City, and that others have dubbed Bodymore, Murderland.

But rather than being a pioneer, Gustafson quickly realized that she had moved to a city that is full of other young professionals – and attracting more every month. There is a vibrant bar and restaurant scene, social sports leagues through which hundreds of young people get together to play kickball and other games, even a monthly bike ride – sponsored by a group working to make Baltimore less car dependent – in which participants dress up in costume and ride through the city.

Add to this some great downtown architecture, a relatively low cost of living, and a slew of new, innovative businesses that promise young workers the immediate chance to make a difference, and Baltimore, she realized, had become surprisingly “in” to her demographic. “There are a ton of young people,” she says.

While the traditional urban magnets for college graduates – San Francisco, New York, Boston, Seattle – still attract the largest number of degree-holding Millennials, the “hottest” cities are elsewhere. These are places such as Cleveland, where 20-somethings are snapping up downtown apartments as soon as they hit the market; St. Louis, which has seen a 138 percent increase in the percentage of educated 25-to-34-year-olds living in close-in urban neighborhoods between 2000 and 2012; and Nashville, which saw a 37 percent increase between 2007 and 2013 of those people born between 1977 and 1992, according to a report by the housing research group RealtyTrac. (See related story.) Even Detroit, long considered an urban dystopia, increased its Millennial population by nearly 7 percent between 2010 and 2013.

Read More

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:48 PM
The City

As soon as I saw this was an Arch City thread I knew St Louis was probably highly ranked.

Of course, this is still good news nonetheless

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 8:52 PM

I would love this stat for city proper populations. The author uses metro area as a proxy for urban areas.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 10:12 PM

i wouldn't overlook suprisingly liberal (and cheap!) des moines, or even omaha or louisville. and the crime rates are way lower then any of those top ten cities.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 10:17 PM

So 4 cities out of 10 make a list and suddenly it's a trend.

Millennials, searching for suburban ‘authenticity,’ are settling in cities that were often shunned in the past, such as Miami, LA, San Diego, Dallas, Houston.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 10:50 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
As soon as I saw this was an Arch City thread I knew St Louis was probably highly ranked.
Yup.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 11:08 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

You guys are so hard on Arch City for posting all the links that come up for him under keywords "St Louis" in his Google news aggregator.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Here's my firsthand input to the topic...

NOT Tampa.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 12:03 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post

NOT Tampa.
Getting older?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:

NOT Tampa.
i dont know much about tampa but spend alot of time on that side of fla., sarasota, bradenton, st. pete. i dunno, mass dense urbanity its not, but take it for what it is and id say there is tons of stuff to do down there. if you like to fish, dive or eat carribean food, that probably helps. meh....

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 1:21 AM
Administrator

^I'm simply speaking as someone who's been in Tampa for 30 years and knows what's going on. (even though I'm moving soon to the 'best coast', I'm still quite active in the community). Tampa's homegrown youth still leave more than they stay, so it can't be that awesome. (to the point that it's a main bullet point of the mayor's reelection campaign). Tampa has major problems that I guess many folks aren't fully aware of.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 1:50 AM
cities|transit|croissants

My millennial wife is from Tampa. We don't live in Tampa.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 1:55 AM

What led to such a rapid change in percentage for Southern California??? Was the economy that booming in the 2000s?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:15 AM

Quote:
^I'm simply speaking as someone who's been in Tampa for 30 years and knows what's going on. (even though I'm moving soon to the 'best coast', I'm still quite active in the community). Tampa's homegrown youth still leave more than they stay, so it can't be that awesome. (to the point that it's a main bullet point of the mayor's reelection campaign). Tampa has major problems that I guess many folks aren't fully aware of.
at least most of central tampa is a giant grid. it has the infrastructure to not be a golf course quagmire like some of the other places down south. also usf has a huge enrollment. i think thats something lots of people aren't aware of either. so where do tampa millenials go? miami? atlanta? texas?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

And the top city is, Surprise, Surprise!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:33 AM

The problem with percentage growth is that if, say, St. Louis previously had a total of one guy who was 25-34 years old with a four-year degree, and then another one moved in, that's 200% growth for that period, yet a deeper look at the data would easily show (in that hypothetical case) that the city definitely isn't on the radar for people that age range with degrees.

In other words, all St. Louis needs to do to easily top the list is to start low enough...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:53 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

It's actually a good article, and it's almost entirely about Baltimore--a city this forum surprisingly doesn't discuss or view but once in a blue moon. Talk about good bones.

Maybe the Clevelands and Baltimores of the nation can, by becoming strong regional draws for ambitious young college grads, take some of the intense pressure off the San Franciscos and Bostons of the nation. And really, a nation this large should have dozens and dozens of desirable, vibrant, healthy, traditionally urban centers serving nearby populations in various economic, social, political and cultural roles.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:47 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Maybe the Clevelands and Baltimores of the nation can, by becoming strong regional draws for ambitious young college grads, take some of the intense pressure off the San Franciscos and Bostons of the nation. And really, a nation this large should have dozens and dozens of desirable, vibrant, healthy, traditionally urban centers serving nearby populations in various economic, social, political and cultural roles.
Very well put. Essentially, America should be more like Europe in this way

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:50 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

memecrunch.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:51 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Very well put. Essentially, America should be more like Europe in this way
yeah, that's what i was thinking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions