HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Seriously? That's the angle you're going to take?

You'll have to try a little harder than that.

You want to measure things or what?

How about this; I have lived in Vancouver for 22 years and I have never seen this much human shit on the streets.

Prove me wrong.

lol @ 22 years.

I've lived here twice as long and have owned properties in just about every area of downtown over the last 4 decades. Things seem worse because there are more people, more access to information, more people claiming bs as fact, more prople claiming they know what's going on politically etc etc.

I think most of vancouvers human sh*t is at home sitting behind a computer screen thinking they know it all.

I have no time for people who do nothing but sh*t on the city they live in and yet do nothing to improve it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Seriously? That's the angle you're going to take?

You'll have to try a little harder than that.

You want to measure things or what?

How about this; I have lived in Vancouver for 22 years and I have never seen this much human shit on the streets.

Prove me wrong.
Rofina - 1000% agree with you. I was born here in 1965 and I too have never seen more human feces spread all over town from streets to alcove doorways. Never before have I seen so much spraypaint vandalism (and I call it that because graffiti actually has more of an urban street artistic look to it) rather than the shit we see EVERYWHERE!!!!! Never before has the city stunk like urine and feces like it does now. I live in the West End and have an exit plan within a year and a half, and will never put a foot in this crap city again, unless a new City Mayor with balls (male or female, white, brown, yellow, red or black, LGBTQ or not is in office) A harbour seal could run this city better than our Mayor and council.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:22 AM

-delete-

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Apr 14, 2021 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranvancan View Post
Rofina - 1000% agree with you. I was born here in 1965 and I too have never seen more human feces spread all over town from streets to alcove doorways. Never before have I seen so much spraypaint vandalism (and I call it that because graffiti actually has more of an urban street artistic look to it) rather than the shit we see EVERYWHERE!!!!! Never before has the city stunk like urine and feces like it does now. I live in the West End and have an exit plan within a year and a half, and will never put a foot in this crap city again, unless a new City Mayor with balls (male or female, white, brown, yellow, red or black, LGBTQ or not is in office) A harbour seal could run this city better than our Mayor and council.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/a-be...couver-opinion

Perhaps this may help. Viva la Vancouver!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/a-be...couver-opinion

Perhaps this may help. Viva la Vancouver!
I don't think having Ken Sims as mayor would change much.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 8:50 PM

I went downtown on the weekend. Literally just entering the core and and some crazy bursts out of the Shoppers at Seymour & Drake cursing and pushes over the Canada Post box with a loud boom. Two blocks later and its yet another nutjob walking down the street yelling at the top of his lungs with cops and ambulance just pulling up.

Any poverty pimp who claims things haven't changed is an out-and-out liar.

Sure nobody dies but why on earth would anyone pay high prices for having to deal with that, especially if you can WFH and so much of "downtown" is closed?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 9:31 PM

The thing is suburbanites conflate "Downtown" with the entire Downtown Peninsula and think they're crossing into a war zone when the come across False Creek.
The reality is the recent chaos is generally limited to the streets around Granville/Seymour/Richards with some spillover into Yaletown and the Financial District (mostly at night)

West End is generally still fine. Yaletown abutting False Creek is fine. Coal Harbour is fine as well, possibly even better than pre-covid.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
The thing is suburbanites conflate "Downtown" with the entire Downtown Peninsula and think they're crossing into a war zone when the come across False Creek.
The reality is the recent chaos is generally limited to the streets around Granville/Seymour/Richards with some spillover into Yaletown and the Financial District (mostly at night)

West End is generally still fine. Yaletown abutting False Creek is fine. Coal Harbour is fine as well, possibly even better than pre-covid.

For now. If our current policy of putting up with almost any amount of civil disorder from our "helpless" addicts continues, you can kiss the rest of it goodbye too.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:19 PM

Charges have finally been laid against the guy who stalked the young woman around downtown a couple weeks ago. Looking at the rap sheet you can see exactly what the problem is:

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A man has been charged after a woman, who recorded a video that has now been viewed thousands of times, reported being followed by a stranger in Vancouver last month.

The 33-year-old man of no fixed address has been charged with one count of criminal harassment in the case.

Jamie Coutts shared a seven-minute video of the March 17 incident. She said she was followed by the man for 40 minutes in the Tinseltown area.

The suspect, Mohammed Majidpour, is also facing several charges related to other incidents in Downtown Vancouver:

-One count of criminal harassment in connection to an incident that occurred March 13 near Dunsmuir and Granville Street
-One count of mischief in connection to an incident that occurred March 14 at a hotel on Burrard Street
-One count of break and enter in connection to an incident that occurred March 16 at a hotel on Burrard Street
-One count of assault with a weapon in connection to an incident that occurred March 19 near Bute and Robson Street
-One count of uttering threats in connection to an incident that occurred March 19 near Bute and Robson Street...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04...lowed-charges/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:

If you should see how almost every shop/retail business is now a victim of a break-and-enter, and you will realize how serious the problem is. For those that have never been broken into, it is just a matter of time. And VPD officers are still hiding in their police cruisers and not doing the beat on the streets after the sun goes down.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
I don't think having Ken Sims as mayor would change much.
This provides a venue for irate residents to make inputs or be aware of what is happening in this City. Whether Ken Sims becomes the next mayor or not isn't of any consequence or concern at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
This provides a venue for irate residents to make inputs or be aware of what is happening in this City. Whether Ken Sims becomes the next mayor or not isn't of any consequence or concern at the moment.
Worth noting we had an election in late 2020. The BC Liberals generally, and Sam Sullivan (Van-False Creek riding) in particular ran on a "tough on street crime" style campaign and failed miserably.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Charges have finally been laid against the guy who stalked the young woman around downtown a couple weeks ago. Looking at the rap sheet you can see exactly what the problem is:

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A man has been charged after a woman, who recorded a video that has now been viewed thousands of times, reported being followed by a stranger in Vancouver last month.

The 33-year-old man of no fixed address has been charged with one count of criminal harassment in the case.

Jamie Coutts shared a seven-minute video of the March 17 incident. She said she was followed by the man for 40 minutes in the Tinseltown area.

The suspect, Mohammed Majidpour, is also facing several charges related to other incidents in Downtown Vancouver:

-One count of criminal harassment in connection to an incident that occurred March 13 near Dunsmuir and Granville Street
-One count of mischief in connection to an incident that occurred March 14 at a hotel on Burrard Street
-One count of break and enter in connection to an incident that occurred March 16 at a hotel on Burrard Street
-One count of assault with a weapon in connection to an incident that occurred March 19 near Bute and Robson Street
-One count of uttering threats in connection to an incident that occurred March 19 near Bute and Robson Street...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/04...lowed-charges/
His criminal history:

2015 - Robbery

2015 - Dangerous operation of motor vehicle

2015 - Application for Warrant to issue x2

2015 - Application for Warrant to Issue - contravention

2016 - Theft $5000 or under

2016 - Assault

2016 - Breach of Probation Order

2017 - Uttering threats

2017 - Assault

2017 - Theft $5000 or under

2018 - Uttering threats

2019 - Assault with a weapon

2019 - Breach of Probation Order

2019 - Theft $5000 or under

2019 - Theft $5000 or under

2019 - Assault with a weapon

2019 - Assault

2020 - Breach of Probation Order

2020 - Theft $5000 or under

2020 - Assault with a weapon

2020 - Uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm

2020 - PSP Under $5,000

2020 - Uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm

2021 - Assault with a weapon

2021 - Uttering threats

2021 - Criminal Harassment

2021 - Mischief

2021 - break and enter and commit indictable offence

2021 - Criminal Harassment

2021 - Uttering threats

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...s_in_stalking/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
If you should see how almost every shop/retail business is now a victim of a break-and-enter, and you will realize how serious the problem is. For those that have never been broken into, it is just a matter of time. And VPD officers are still hiding in their police cruisers and not doing the beat on the streets after the sun goes down.
Again, not downplaying the seriousness of the uptick in crime. I'm just saying not all of the Downtown peninsula is a post-apocalyptic warzone some people here make it out to be.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeymourDrake View Post
lol @ 22 years.

I've lived here twice as long and have owned properties in just about every area of downtown over the last 4 decades. Things seem worse because there are more people, more access to information, more people claiming bs as fact, more prople claiming they know what's going on politically etc etc.

I think most of vancouvers human sh*t is at home sitting behind a computer screen thinking they know it all.

I have no time for people who do nothing but sh*t on the city they live in and yet do nothing to improve it.
I spent the last 2 years involving myself in the community and the problems facing Vancouver; I despised all the people through the years that followed the refrain of "don't like it, leave." Not for anyone, but for myself I wanted to have a clear conscience about helping the City that shaped me and gave me unreal opportunity as a first generation immigrant. For that I'm forever grateful.

I'm not talking about Global news, I'm not talking about this forum, I'm talking my one man opinion reinforced by my community involvement, my political involvement, and the ability to use my eyes, nose and ears.

We have managed to undo 20 years of progress in +/- 48 months.

Things are back to where they were in the 90's.

Not just the DTES, and its not just homelessness or drugs.

Its the whole city coming apart;

1. Overflowing spray painted trash cans
2. Garbage on the streets
3. Cracked, heaved, poorly maintained sidewalks
4. Poorly maintained, dying boulevards on many, many roads.
5. Feces, urine smells throughout DT

The civic realm looks like shit - not sure how else to put it. Especially when compared to areas around.

I did a pleasure cruise out into the suburbs last weekend; I encourage everyone to do the same to get some perspective.

I haven't been to Ladner/Delta/Tsawwassen in probably 10 years.

For an example of what a pristine, well maintained, pleasure to be in community looks like, take a look out that way.

The state of Vancouver, DTES and Strathcona aside is an embarrassment for a city that is the namesake of the region.

We have lost our core competency of even being able to run the city in a manner that keeps things appealing looking.

I sold my property in Vancouver and for the first time chose to rent outside of the City. I'm far from the only one.

I hope that folks like yourself eventually choose to leave your bubble and realize what tremendous harm its doing to stick your head in the sand and pretend like this is some social media exaggeration.

Vancouver has lost perspective of where it stands in the worst possible way.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:41 AM

Quote:

The real-time crime map from the police department makes it fairly clear where the crime is. As you say it is not Coal Harbour, West End, or Yaletown.

http://geodash.vpd.ca/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I went downtown on the weekend. Literally just entering the core and and some crazy bursts out of the Shoppers at Seymour & Drake cursing and pushes over the Canada Post box with a loud boom. Two blocks later and its yet another nutjob walking down the street yelling at the top of his lungs with cops and ambulance just pulling up.

Any poverty pimp who claims things haven't changed is an out-and-out liar.

Sure nobody dies but why on earth would anyone pay high prices for having to deal with that, especially if you can WFH and so much of "downtown" is closed?
Oh no? OMFG they were yelling? OH THE FUCKING HUMANITY

I swear the amount of overt classism and ableism in this thread makes me fucking sick to my stomach

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Oh no? OMFG they were yelling? OH THE FUCKING HUMANITY

I swear the amount of overt classism and ableism in this thread makes me fucking sick to my stomach
There are basic levels of civility that everyone in a society should adhere to. It’s not classism or ableism.

I am not allowed to blast my sound system on full at midnight in my apartment because of basic civil respect for my neighbors in my building and the community in general. If I did the police will come to my house.

Someone screaming at the by ok of their lungs on a city street should not be accepted, from anyone. If it is because of a mental disorder then they should be taken care of medically.

Metal illness is also not an excuse to allow vandalism and the creation of hostile environments to continue unchecked.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
There are basic levels of civility that everyone in a society should adhere to. It’s not classism or ableism.

I am not allowed to blast my sound system on full at midnight in my apartment because of basic civil respect for my neighbors in my building and the community in general. If I did the police will come to my house.

Someone screaming at the by ok of their lungs on a city street should not be accepted, from anyone. If it is because of a mental disorder then they should be taken care of medically.

Metal illness is also not an excuse to allow vandalism and the creation of hostile environments to continue unchecked.
Maybe you don't like it but it is LITERALLY not against the law to scream in public.

The guy is mental ill, this is entirely built around ableism even if you try to wrap around the guise of public decency.

I go downtown daily, those people have always been a thing, I don't need some fucking rich suburbanites telling me how bad MY city is.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:43 AM

The only parts of Downtown I experience any visible crime is Granville street and the DTES, those areas have ALWAYS been rough, maybe a bit rougher over the past year but the absurdist exaggerations in this thread NEED to be confronted, they are bloody ridiculous and deep down all of you know it.

Even then I can walk down east hasting not paying attention with my bloody Iphone 11 out and NO ONE bugs me.

Thats what big crime looks like to you people? You'd be murdered in detroit, Vancouver is extremely safe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues