HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 3:17 PM

UA Oks plan for $60 million for Culver House

Quote:
The preliminary plans for the business building approved Friday would be an 84,727-square-foot building on Stadium Drive across from Alston Hall. The new building, which would be paid for with future fundraising and UA funds, would allow for the consolidation of classroom space into one building for the college.

The building will include three conference rooms, offices to accommodate 44 faculty, graduate student work space, 26 classrooms, museum space and collaboration rooms.

The space vacated in Bidgood and Alston halls will be reallocated for faculty offices, student services and expansion of other programs. The project will increase the college’s classroom seating capacity by 770.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 12:06 AM

I want to make a comment on the new Master Plan, that was released recently by The University of Alabama. In the plan, up to 10 new dorms on the Bryce campus are included. Several of the new dorms will be specialized toward families living in the dorms. The reason is that, as we recruit and grow the graduate school, many of these students will be older and have families. Graduate students (especially in the sciences) usually stay at a University more than four years as they pursue their PhD's. I'm very happy that The University of Alabama is moving in this direction. My career was in research and strengthening the University's research will create high tech jobs and bring even more brain power to Tuscaloosa. I believe the next ten years are going to be even more positive than the last ten years have been for The University of Alabama and the city of Tuscaloosa. I can see the day when we truly become a top 25 Public University. We have to realize, a lot of top Universities are improving, also. That will make reaching the to 25 that much more remarkable.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 1:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
I want to make a comment on the new Master Plan, that was released recently by The University of Alabama. In the plan, up to 10 new dorms on the Bryce campus are included. Several of the new dorms will be specialized toward families living in the dorms. The reason is that, as we recruit and grow the graduate school, many of these students will be older and have families. Graduate students (especially in the sciences) usually stay at a University more than four years as they pursue their PhD's. I'm very happy that The University of Alabama is moving in this direction. My career was in research and strengthening the University's research will create high tech jobs and bring even more brain power to Tuscaloosa. I believe the next ten years are going to be even more positive than the last ten years have been for The University of Alabama and the city of Tuscaloosa. I can see the day when we truly become a top 25 Public University. We have to realize, a lot of top Universities are improving, also. That will make reaching the to 25 that much more remarkable.
I agree, Packer. I was very encouraged when I saw that the University was planning new dorms that would be designed for families. The University has done a great job of growing the undergraduate population, which will hopefully turn into a steady stream of donations. But, I'm also hopeful that, that large growth in undergraduates earning degrees will translate to individuals pursuing higher degrees at UA, and even those graduates pursuing masters/doctoral degrees at UAB and UAH. UA already has a medical pipeline to UAB, and I'm hoping that UA and UAH can form a stronger engineering bond.

I'll harp on it again, the undergraduate growth is healthy, and IMO needs to be sustained at its current level. From this point, UA needs to continue to pursue growth in research. Housing for families with masters and PHD candidates is an excellent idea... the University just needs to be sure that it continues to sustain, and steadily increase, funding for research and post-graduate studies.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I agree, Packer. I was very encouraged when I saw that the University was planning new dorms that would be designed for families. The University has done a great job of growing the undergraduate population, which will hopefully turn into a steady stream of donations. But, I'm also hopeful that, that large growth in undergraduates earning degrees will translate to individuals pursuing higher degrees at UA, and even those graduates pursuing masters/doctoral degrees at UAB and UAH. UA already has a medical pipeline to UAB, and I'm hoping that UA and UAH can form a stronger engineering bond.

I'll harp on it again, the undergraduate growth is healthy, and IMO needs to be sustained at its current level. From this point, UA needs to continue to pursue growth in research. Housing for families with masters and PHD candidates is an excellent idea... the University just needs to be sure that it continues to sustain, and steadily increase, funding for research and post-graduate studies.
Surely, UA can use much of the extra tuition from out of state students to fund a big part of the increase in funding for research. This year's freshman class was the first one to be smaller than the one before, in like 10 years. So hopefully, UA won't need to spend as much on facilities for new undergrads and can focus housing for the grad students.

I do hope UA can start enrolling more of the top Alabama students who are currently going to Auburn. For about eight years now, Auburn has been attracting more in state students, but not nearly as many out of state students as UA.

UA needs to figure out why more in state students are attracted to Auburn.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 3:15 PM

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 8:52 PM

Speaking of bringing in "Big Dog" researchers, ...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 9:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
Nice. The University appears to be on a roll in the hiring of faculty.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 9:26 PM

2017 Master Plan Released, Gorgas Library to have a Rooftop Terrace

https://vpadmin-estus.fa.ua.edu/Univ...ter%20Plan.pdf

Check out the plans for the rooftop terrace above the South side of Gorgas Library, on page 38. We have been hearing about the impending renovation of Gorgas for years now. But from this Master Plan, it looks like it should finally be happening soon.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:54 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I checked out the plans. I think the plans for Gorgas are one of the most important to the school's future. There are multiple libraries across campus, but I learned as an undergrad (waaaaaaaay back in the 2007-2011 era) that it was a haven that allowed me to focus and get my work done, especially around finals.

The renovations to Gorgas back in the early 2010s helped a lot for the students, but I think that expanding the library in general will help students in the long run. Plus, if there is a rooftop terrace? That will provide magnificent view of the historic part of campus as well as be a location for students to relax for a moment. I think that master plan's idea is good for Gorgas. But, I won't believe it till I see it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:23 PM

100% agree on Gorgas. I vaguely remember cramming inside one of the study rooms with classmates.

I'd really hope they expand the Sanford Media Center if they're going with a full renovation.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:57 AM

UA now has more top notch (ACT of 33 or higher) students than even Univ of Florida

I am a data geek and find this data point from the 2017 Data Set astonishing. Last Fall's freshman class had a middle ACT range of 23-32. That means that at least 25% of all freshman had an ACT of 33 or higher! Yet, at least 25% of all freshman had an ACT of 22 or lower. Is UA subsidizing some of the students on the upper end via tuition from students on the lower end? It is an interesting business model, but it does seem like it could keep the six year grad rate from rising. And that is not good for rankings. But how wonderful it is that UA has so many smart students on campus! Given the larger freshman class size at UA, this means that there are more top notch students at UA than at fellow SEC flagship schools like UGA and even UF!

http://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/5a664...be281b6?Report Type[0][0]=Common Data Set

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 6:53 AM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 11:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Can anyone give a good update of the progress at the Bryant Conference Center, Moody Music, and the Law Center?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:16 PM

Haven't been by the University in a while, but last time I was on campus, did see the new freshman dorm being built McCorvey Dr.

I'll try to snag some pictures soon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:18 PM

Any idea if they're still building the retail behind the Publix on University?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 9:38 PM

I attended the National Championship parade and noticed that Moody Music is undergoing renovation. I don't remember exactly what it looked like before, but what I saw looked very attractive. They are bringing the north side of the bldg into architectural harmony with the addition to the bldg's south side.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
Surely, UA can use much of the extra tuition from out of state students to fund a big part of the increase in funding for research. This year's freshman class was the first one to be smaller than the one before, in like 10 years. So hopefully, UA won't need to spend as much on facilities for new undergrads and can focus housing for the grad students.

I do hope UA can start enrolling more of the top Alabama students who are currently going to Auburn. For about eight years now, Auburn has been attracting more in state students, but not nearly as many out of state students as UA.

UA needs to figure out why more in state students are attracted to Auburn.
UA has something like a 54% acceptance rate, and Auburn has somewhere around 85%. So, IMO, UA is attracting the very students they want - "The best and brightest" and mostly out of state since the extra $$$ helps them continue to compete with other systems better supported by their states.

Also, another theory - Auburn feels a bit more "down home" while Bama can feel a bit more grand and overwhelming. I think many high school students from smaller Alabama communities feel a little less intimidated by Auburn when they visit.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
UA has something like a 54% acceptance rate, and Auburn has somewhere around 85%. So, IMO, UA is attracting the very students they want - "The best and brightest" and mostly out of state since the extra $$$ helps them continue to compete with other systems better supported by their states.

Also, another theory - Auburn feels a bit more "down home" while Bama can feel a bit more grand and overwhelming. I think many high school students from smaller Alabama communities feel a little less intimidated by Auburn when they visit.
There is honestly very little difference in the acceptance standards of Alabama or Auburn. ACT, SAT and GPA standards are roughly identical between the two. Alabama is better known, specially out of state, and has a larger number of people applying. Auburn is less known and has a smaller pool of applicants, but they are accepting the same caliber of students.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 8:04 PM

UA has always had more cream in the "cream of the crop" students.

Especially in prestigious National Awards. Rhodes Scholars (UA 15, AU 5, UAB 3); Goldwater Scholars (UA 53, AU 24?, UAB 25); Truman Scholars (UA 16, AU 5, UAB 9). Plus, now over 40% of these huge freshmen classes have 30 or higher scores on their ACTs!!!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:55 PM

For those interested, here are some recent articles that ....

explain The University of Alabama's growth and why the plan has worked to perfection. UA is much better today and I'm looking forward to the very bright future.

NY Times 2015

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/s...ting.html?_r=0

Washington Post 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.2387518da01a

NY Times 2016

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/e...versities.html

Chicago Tribune 2018

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...405-story.html

Enjoy!! ROLL TIDE!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast