HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 4:40 PM

'Smallest distillery in North America' starting retail sales in Old Strathcona operation
http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...cona-operation

Quote:
Strathcona Spirits owner Adam Smith is so keen to put local ingredients in his company’s booze, he flavours the gin with wild juniper berries and sea buckthorn he picks himself.

What Smith claims is North America’s smallest distillery opened last December in a 69-square-metre former radiator shop on a gentrifying Old Strathcona industrial block, outfitted with a $100,000 custom-made still he and a friend drove 10,000 km to pick up in the Ozarks.

Although Strathcona Spirits has been selling 200 to 300 bottles of its gin and vodka each month through 150 liquor stores, bars and restaurants in Alberta and Saskatchewan, the company isn’t yet breaking even.

Smith admits he’s not sure how this compares to the anticipated sales volume.

“I don’t know what I expected. I’m not much of a businessman. I thought it would be easy to keep the door open, and it’s been more challenging because everything is expensive.”

Smith, 37, worked for an Eastern Canada craft brewery before he decided to start making the hard stuff in a one-storey space at 10122 81 Ave., where he’d operated the Baby Seal Club music venue.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 4:56 PM

6 of us went to State and Main last night in Windermere.

Save your money....my 33.00 steak tasted like shoe leather.

Word from around the table was 80% of the food lacked.....Taste lol.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 6:24 PM
Community Guy

Woodwork two nights ago with some folks from Calgary, everyone loved their food and cocktails.

This honey/chili glazed chop was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend the Washington State Cab we had as well. Wow.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 7:04 PM

Whoa...I have to try this place.

1 Chop eh....i suppose if you chew each bite 20 times you could get your monies worth haha.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 7:28 PM
Community Guy

Chop to plate ratio is good, don't worry.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:29 AM
Community Guy

Former Sobeys first new tenant.

http://tiffinfreshkitchen.com

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:18 PM

Worked late last night so I stopped by Bottega 104 for dinner. Since I was flying solo, I sat at the bar. Young lady behind the bar handed me menus then went back to posing and chatting with others. After waiting 15 minutes for her or someone else to take my order, got up and left. I'll stick with Cafe Amore since their slutty half-sister did not leave a good impression upon me. Probably could have gone to Uccellino, come to think of it.

Went across the street to Ono Poke since it was high time I got my poke cherry popped. Was greeted like I was an old friend. Had the Torched Miso Salmon Poke - it was delicious although I could have done with less of the Thai slaw topping.

Walked past Rocky Mountain Icehouse and it was dead. I fear that the Needle debacle is going to take down both ships since there always seemed to be a spillover effect.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:16 AM

Looks like the McLeod Tavern has shut down on RHW.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 5:06 AM

Every time i've gone by it always seemed to have a dbag clientelle and its been like that since its last days as 100. Probably what took it downhill.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:42 PM
Community Guy

I still would love to see a classic cafe in there, something like this.

http://waterstreetcafe.ca

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 8:59 PM

Grain of Rice

These guys are new in town and rock local ingredients. A no tip establishment too.

https://www.instagram.com/grainofriceyeg/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...down-1.3878968

http://grainofriceyeg.com

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 9:25 PM
Community Guy

Give winter a warm welcome from the patio!
November 29, 2017

Winter Patio Kick-Off Weekend begins Friday, Dec. 1 and runs all weekend, giving Edmontonians plenty of opportunities to celebrate the beginning of winter patio season.

Participating establishments are taking their own unique spin on welcoming patrons to their patios, whether with late night drinks, sunshine brunches or cozy dinners. This year also features a “Play Street” on Saturday located just south of Rogers Place at 103 Street between 102 and 103 Avenues.

The Winter Patio Kick-Off Weekend is organized by WinterCity Edmonton, an initiative that aims to promote and transform the way we live, work and play during the winter months, making Edmonton a more inviting and vibrant place for residents, businesses and visitors year-round. This event supports one of the strategy’s foundational goals by promoting and developing a four-season patio culture within the city.

For a complete list of participating establishments, visit exploreedmonton.com/patioparty or call 311.

Media contact:
Francis Asuncion
Communications Advisor
780-423-4890

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:58 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Just got back from RGE RD (https://www.rgerd.ca/).

It was very, very good. As in both the food and service. I got in early and ordered an Old Fashioned 135 at the bar while waiting for my relatives to arrive.

Appies consisted of thin slices of brown and white with a kind of butter I can't remember (but still pretty good), roasted brussel sprouts w/poached egg, and a flatbread made with goose rilette (a kind of pate).I had a bit of each and all were quite good. This is despite the fact that I'm not usually a fan of brussels sprouts.

Main course for me was the Pilatus Farm bison, while my dad and brother had the pasture raised beef w/potatoes and the ladies each had the char-grilled chili crusted cod dish. The bison for me was quite good - cooked rare/medium rare and nice and tender atop a spatzle/currant mix. I had my main course washed down with Hockley Dark Ale.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:41 PM
Urban Advocate

Love that place. Need to get back soon.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:52 PM

I had heard Rng Rd also plans to open a bit of a retail store selling some of their stuff.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:54 PM

Anyone know when the Commerce Place food court renos is finishing? It was supposed to reopen in November but it's now December. I was at Lorenzo's and I overheard the girl in the sushi place next door expressing her frustrations with having to move out of ECC and now with this reno. Oh, and looks like another Indian place is opening in this food court.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 2:53 AM
Community Guy

Bar Clementine tonight - incredible service and my how I love the feel in there.

Crispy Potato, Canola, Pickled Potato

Sourdough Rye Pancake, Jambon de Paris, Fromage Blanc, Hay Smoked Clover Honey, Sambal, Swiss Chard

Pork Rillons, Lentils, Roasted Shallot, Orin Apple, Basil

Jacek Columbian Chocolate, Green Chartreuse, Daquise, Matcha Meringue, Plum

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Bar Clementine tonight - incredible service and my how I love the feel in there.

Crispy Potato, Canola, Pickled Potato

Sourdough Rye Pancake, Jambon de Paris, Fromage Blanc, Hay Smoked Clover Honey, Sambal, Swiss Chard

Pork Rillons, Lentils, Roasted Shallot, Orin Apple, Basil

Jacek Columbian Chocolate, Green Chartreuse, Daquise, Matcha Meringue, Plum

Yikes...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:51 AM

Finally tried Sequel Cafe for lunch today. Red lentil soup was good, black forest ham sammich was alright as was the homemade iced tea. The place was busy, which was nice to see given its relatively obscure presence on an almost empty Edmonton winter street. Personally I wouldn't say this is a place I would go out of my way for, but it's another decent lunch option for that area of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton