HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 1:44 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Jesus. A full power outage to downtown...

No one is prepared for this. NO ONE. I left around 4pm and hadn't heard a peep from anyone in the core about any sort of overnight issues. I'm already alerting our guys to be on alert, our data centres should switch to generator power automatically but they don't have more than a few hours of diesel capacity. The assumption has always been that we can have more fuel trucked in (not my planning, let me tell you). Hopefully we can ride it out until things calm down.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 1:45 AM

Hope you all stay safe. Absolutely crazy to see what you're going through out there. Have 2 friends travelling from BC to Alberta that got stuck in Canmore. Thankfully have a hotel room, but hearing they might be there till Saturday at the VERY earliest.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 1:48 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Hope you all stay safe. Absolutely crazy to see what you're going through out there. Have 2 friends travelling from BC to Alberta that got stuck in Canmore. Thankfully have a hotel room, but hearing they might be there till Saturday at the VERY earliest.
VERY earliest indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4 or 5 days before traffic starts moving again, if the predicted rain ends up falling.

I've now heard of 5 confirmed spots on Hwy 1 that are completely impassable due to washout or slides. Slides take a day at most to clean up, presuming the ground stabilizes. But it could take a while to get to them all.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
VERY earliest indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4 or 5 days before traffic starts moving again, if the predicted rain ends up falling.

I've now heard of 5 confirmed spots on Hwy 1 that are completely impassable due to washout or slides. Slides take a day at most to clean up, presuming the ground stabilizes. But it could take a while to get to them all.
They had a wedding to attend out towards Lethbridge tomorrow. Won't be making that.

How's the impact south of the border, to Montana and Idaho. Sure they've gotten the deluge too.

It's been pouring all day out here in Vancouver, but obviously the geography and landscape is built for that.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 1:53 AM
Industrial Might

I hope the city realizes that the flood berm along memorial has a big hole in it for the new bridge they are building between the east village and bridgeland. It was pretty close to coming through there on my commute home, wouldn't be surprised if memorial & the c-train are flooded in that area soon.

Edit: Also found some streamflow data for the elbow at Bragg Creek Link looks pretty bad. Fortis has shut power off to the whole area as a precaution and it will remain off all night.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:06 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:

No one is prepared for this. NO ONE. I left around 4pm and hadn't heard a peep from anyone in the core about any sort of overnight issues. I'm already alerting our guys to be on alert, our data centres should switch to generator power automatically but they don't have more than a few hours of diesel capacity. The assumption has always been that we can have more fuel trucked in (not my planning, let me tell you). Hopefully we can ride it out until things calm down.
Uh, I hope our IT staff is making sure all the data in our Calgary branch coming in overnight is heading to our Edmonton servers.

Anyways, reading that the Oldman River is expected to have flows like the Athabasca River at Fort McMurray last week. (@3000 m³/s.)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:10 AM
Majestic

On my commute home tonight I noted that if the Bow gets much higher than it is, the whole Lafarge plant will be underwater.

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:10 AM

Quote:

We're just in the midst of getting our servers shutdown.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise_of_the_West View Post
I hope the city realizes that the flood berm along memorial has a big hole in it for the new bridge they are building between the east village and bridgeland. It was pretty close to coming through there on my commute home, wouldn't be surprised if memorial & the c-train are flooded in that area soon.

Edit: Also found some streamflow data for the elbow at Bragg Creek Link looks pretty bad. Fortis has shut power off to the whole area as a precaution and it will remain off all night.
Wonder how that new bridge is holding up. I drove past the weir around 6 and it was raging.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Uh, I hope our IT staff is making sure all the data in our Calgary branch coming in overnight is heading to our Edmonton servers.

Anyways, reading that the Oldman River is expected to have flows like the Athabasca River at Fort McMurray last week. (@3000 m³/s.)
Pardon my English, but Holy Fuck!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:23 AM

Some places in the foothills apparently got around or over 200 mm of rain in one day. That explains the catastrophic flooding. All this water has to go downstream...will the Bow crest collide with the Oldman crest into the South Saskatchewan River?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:24 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Pardon my English, but Holy Fuck!
1995 flood had it raging at 4500 m³/s. I don't exactly remember the event (wee lad then) but I'm sure there are others that remember it.

From the 1995 flood:

http://www.rossway.net/Lethflood.htm

Not sure who took the pictures.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:26 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Wonder how that new bridge is holding up. I drove past the weir around 6 and it was raging.
Speaking of that bridge, here's a youtube video of a house hitting that bridge(assuming you were talking about the Bragg river bridge in the video - I'm not from Calgary). No idea who took it, but my friend posted the link on facebook.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:48 AM
Home of Hyperchange

That's awesome, thanks for finding that!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:51 AM

The smaller rivers and creeks will rise and crest first. The Elbow will probably crest before the Bow.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:52 AM
Calgary Martindale

Because of the city experiencing problems with their website they have an alternate

http://www.calgarycitynews.com

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:53 AM
power to the people!

Just drove by Harvie Passage. It's completely inundated. You wouldn't even know it existed.

Half of the Inglewood golf course is under water.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 2:57 AM

Red Deer just issued out a state of emergency.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 3:01 AM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 3:02 AM

It was interesting in Jasper today, as the day went on the numbers of tour busses and motor homes increased by a large number every hour. The yellowhead leaving Jasper back to Edmonton looked like a long weekend. Didn't get a chance to pass until Hinton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia