HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
And it also didn't work out so well by design. At least a third of the office space was later converted to residential. There's also 1 mag mile which has about half as office.

Does anyone else find One Magnificent Mile really attractive and interesting? I think it's a great transition from the tail end of the International Style into the earliest stages of Post Modernism. After the box but before the comical interpretations of historical styles.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:16 AM

I always thought it was a nice building to look at. In my opinion it was post-modernism in its best moments. Just simple volumetric geometry. The fenestration is simple and varies slightly, and I really like the reddish granite cladding. Some days it would catch the sun just right. At the ground, the stainless steel frames and angled glass are really crisp. Thoughtful custom detailing that is non-existent today.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Does anyone else find One Magnificent Mile really attractive and interesting? I think it's a great transition from the tail end of the International Style into the earliest stages of Post Modernism. After the box but before the comical interpretations of historical styles.
That's a really nice photo.

The massing also makes it a great transition from low-rise to high-rise.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I always thought it was a nice building to look at. In my opinion it was post-modernism in its best moments. Just simple volumetric geometry. The fenestration is simple and varies slightly, and I really like the reddish granite cladding. Some days it would catch the sun just right. At the ground, the stainless steel frames and angled glass are really crisp. Thoughtful custom detailing that is non-existent today.
I agree with this. I like its boldness, materials and skyward rhythm. It's referents are hidden and transformed into something new.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:51 PM
Content provider

it definitely knows where it is

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:16 PM

We are way off topic here folks.

Looks like they are going to be doing the last pour for the cantilever in the next day or two. Things should speed up slightly afterwards.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Do all of you guys (that post regularly on this site) live downtown?

You mean people live somewhere else?

'Nuther topic - agree with you all above on One Mag Mile

^ The first of the new confluence towers heads skyward. Nice.......it's taken some patience to get to this point, but as you say the pace and magnitude of visual progress is definitely now picking up, and it's going to be very much worth the wait!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM

Today

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
from this angle i think it looks fine, but from the lake, blegh, the massing is really gaudy and bulky, and the color mixes in with 900 north Michigan. from all the other angles though its fine imo.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
from this angle i think it looks fine, but from the lake, blegh, the massing is really gaudy and bulky, and the color mixes in with 900 north Michigan. from all the other angles though its fine imo.

as for wolf point, this thing is really moving now, cant wait to see the first signs of glass on the tower. hopefully by then 444 west lake and 150 north riverside will have gained momentum as well

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:23 PM

Lol. I'm a planner and all the other planners I know live in the city's neighborhoods (Ukie Village, Logan Square, Edgewater/Andersonville, Bridgeport, Hyde Park, etc.). But if I were an architect, I could see how it'd be almost impossible to live outside of downtown since the Loop and surrounding neighborhoods have some of the best architecture in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
You mean people live somewhere else?

'Nuther topic - agree with you all above on One Mag Mile

^ The first of the new confluence towers heads skyward. Nice.......it's taken some patience to get to this point, but as you say the pace and magnitude of visual progress is definitely now picking up, and it's going to be very much worth the wait!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:24 PM
BANNED

Gush. I am so happy about this tower.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:19 PM
you know where I'll be

Great photo updates from yesterday, JM!
I'm already looking forward to next summer at the confluence.....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:10 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:05 PM

Wow, that cantilevered corner on the SW of the building is turning out to be pretty impressive. If they cantilever every floor on that corner the whole way up, those are going to be some mighty impressive units with no columns along the window line and sweeping views of the River canyon. The new towers across the river will only magnify that effect.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:31 PM

^ There is no setback planned above the cantilevered SW corner. All units will go out the same distance all the way up.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:35 PM

My question is more whether there will be any columns that begin above this cantilever or if they are pouring something of a transfer floor at the first level of the cantilever and then having columns above that floor that intrude on the beauty of cantilevered spaces.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:40 PM

The building looks so tiny. It's only taking up a sliver of the lot. I was hoping it would block more of the Sun times building lol. I know there will be other phases I hope, but who knows how soon they will start.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
The building looks so tiny. It's only taking up a sliver of the lot. I was hoping it would block more of the Sun times building lol. I know there will be other phases I hope, but who knows how soon they will start.
It can only be a partial blockage. Vornado, purchaser of the Apparel Center building (now known as the Sun-Times building), purchased view corridors equal to 50% of the towers' frontage looking south that are forever protected. The West, South and East Towers on Wolf Point cannot block a total of more than 50% of that southward view.

The 1998 sale of view rights by Wolf Point was to mollify the existing lessee, Holiday Inn, which had threatened to pull out of the building. Vornado would not have purchased (for $625M and chunk of Vornado) the package deal of the Merchandise Mart and Apparel Center if the Holiday Inn bolted. A later 2004 sale by Wolf Point was done to help Vornado induce the Sun-Times to sign a lease in what in now known as the Sun-Times building.

Vornado sold the Apparel Center to Shorenstein (from SF) about 3 months prior to filing for the current zoning at Wolf Point. Vornado still owns the Merchandise Mart. The 1,285 parking spaces being built at Wolf Point include 485 spots promised to the Merchandise Mart and the Sun-Times Building. Only 800 spaces are allocated to the 3 towers planned for Wolf Point.

After all 3 towers are built at Wolf Point, I doubt anyone will even notice that the Sun-Times building is still in the back behind them.

Last edited by Pilton; Oct 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add towers'

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 3:54 PM

Plus leaving those view corridors open greatly increases the odds of Apparel mart getting knocked down and replaced by something much much bigger in a decade or two once there is less vacant land to develop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive