HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Indeed London is thankful for having the London Underground, ut it only got it for two reason:
- High density and immense catchments
- Private investment (the London Underground was built by private companies and wealthy individuals)
Yeah I know, which leaves me surprised that my nearets city (Newcastle) has it's own underground metro system (albiet much much smaller) when the loadings don't really justify it. A street running tram network would have been more appropriate I reckon.

Quote:
How has London been doing pretty well? Unable to build the likes of Crossrail because of funds being diverted elsewhere, it has had to explore Congestion Charging and other measures to try and control pollution, noise, and traffic congestion. The poorest wards in the country, aren't in the north, they are slap bang in London and it so happens that Crossrail would actually go through these areas.
The Docklands is quite good, sure the Tories designated that as some sort of special economic area back when ti wasn't so good.

Quote:
The north isn't solely reliant upon the south, but without the south, most services would collapse...Keep in mind that the NHS budget for 2006-07 is £96bn.....the south is loosing something like £30bn each each; it doesn't take a genius to work out that if the south stopped the flow of money, there would have to be large cut backs in public services of which the north is already too heavily dependent upon. And that is the problem: the north has far too many public sector jobs and not enough private sector jobs. Without private jobs, there aren't going to be many internal or external investors which means innovation is held back forcing a stagnation of the economy. It could be argued that axing these jobs would be of a benefit to the north so that it forces a mass-reorganisation to push forward.
I agree.

Quote:
I think you'll find that the mud-slinging isn't started by southerners, its started by northerners, with southerners responding with the cold truth. This thread is case in example.
That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, it's like you're casting judgements against entire swathes of people based on what you've read/heard from others.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe