HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:11 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
As a grandparent I did a LOL when I read Ian's post. No way in hell would I or my daughter or son walk their small children all the way to Grandin or ever let a child under 12 walk all those busy streets and intersections by themselves for that matter. Nor will some shit assed play area at the Library suffice. Ian does not "get it" that is for sure. I don't know where he grew up ... and what his play experience was. Obviously has NO children and with that mindset better not have any. And he is representative of DECL - which out to remove the word "Community" from its name. Again DECL about dogs not children - pathetic really.
Well, I am a parent of 3 now grown kids and I find this perspective odd. Helicopter-the-world-is-a-scary-place-parenting. How did I, let alone my kids survive walking to school every day and crossing busy streets and all... oh yah, common sense and walk lights.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:14 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
As a grandparent I did a LOL when I read Ian's post. No way in hell would I or my daughter or son walk their small children all the way to Grandin or ever let a child under 12 walk all those busy streets and intersections by themselves for that matter. Nor will some shit assed play area at the Library suffice. Ian does not "get it" that is for sure. I don't know where he grew up ... and what his play experience was. Obviously has NO children and with that mindset better not have any. And he is representative of DECL - which out to remove the word "Community" from its name. Again DECL about dogs not children - pathetic really.
I LOL when I read most of your posts.

Were you included in our 9yr park plan? You know, the one where we canvassed the hood, did multiple stakeholder meetings, debated over and over and over and over?

This park will indeed work for most people, including families with children, but there are other options and more options coming.

I try to take the high road, but comments like that remind me how lazy people are within their own communities.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:15 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makenosmallplans View Post
Well, I am a parent of 3 now grown kids and I find this perspective odd. Helicopter-the-world-is-a-scary-place-parenting. How did I, let alone my kids survive walking to school every day and crossing busy streets and all... oh yah, common sense and walk lights.
Clearly unpossible.

Many friend in Toronto, Van, Tokyo, Lethbridge, Edmonton let their kids learn about the urban environment and are better off for it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:12 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:18 PM

Quote:
I hate anonymous postings, it allows for this kind of bad language and unfounded attacks.

Even if there was a 'playground', it will require significant fundraising by the community to be built. The funding to date doesn't cover a playground, artwork, or community garden.

So there will be lots of opportunity to help with fundraising in the future

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:34 AM

I won't respond to your post - I am on good behaviour - just for tonight.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:39 AM

Maybe this isn't the right thread to talk about it, but I think it was mentioned that there is some uncertainty regarding the larger Central Park? Is this not happening anymore? If it were to happen couldn't a playground be incorporated there?

This park looks great though! Is it a fully fenced dog run?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 2:41 AM
Community Guy

Central Park tbd... they have ~30 mil for land aquisition.

Fully fenced.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 3:21 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton downtown park moves a step closer to reality

By: Ryan Tumilty Metro, Published on Wed Nov 11 2015
Downtown residents are excited about another sign the area is becoming a more welcoming place for families to live.
City crews have recently installed a new sign heralding the construction in the year ahead of Alex Decoteau Park at the corner of 102 Avenue and 105 Street.
“Having a sign on the site really gets us to that next step of realization,” said Ian O’Donnell, vice-president of the Downtown Edmonton Community League.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...-reality-.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:43 PM

Job No 184603279-001
Description: To develop a Public Park (Alex Decoteau Park).
Plan B2 Blk 5 Lots 178-182
Applicant: CITY OF EDMONTON
Create Date: 12/14/2015 10:54:38 AM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 11:49 PM
Community Guy

^another hurdle crossed.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 9:35 PM
Community Guy

F. UPCOMING APPLICATIONS
JANUARY 19, 2016
FORMAL PRESENTATIONS
Edmonton Design Committee Agenda

Alex Decoteau Park
City of Edmonton - Martina Gardiner
10204 - 105 Street NW
Site legally described as:
Lots 178 - 182, Block 5, Plan B2

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:57 PM
Community Guy

EDC Jan 19, going to attend just in case they try to derail community efforts, er provide context.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 4:25 AM
Community Guy

Constructive night, good suggestions and tweaks. Hopefully it gets support and moves into a CD phase and tendering.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 8:11 PM
Community Guy

^It will go out to tender late winter (hopefully) with shovels early spring (hopefully) and the majority of the work done by end of year, with a grand opening spring/summer 2017.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 9:22 PM
Community Guy

Opportunity Notice
Call to Artists - Alex Decoteau Park Public Art Project
Opportunity Information
Organization:
Edmonton
Organization Address:
Reference Number:
AB-2016-00727
Solicitation Number:
Solicitation Type:
Request for Qualification
Posting (MM/dd/yyyy):
02/01/2016
09:13:15 AM Alberta Time
Closing (MM/dd/yyyy):
03/23/2016
04:30:00 PM Alberta Time
Last Update (MM/dd/yyyy):
02/01/2016
09:13:16 AM Alberta Time
Agreement Type:
AIT & NWPTA
Region of Opportunity:
Open
Region of Delivery:
Alberta
Opportunity Type:
Open & Competitive
Commodity Codes:
T005C: Special Art Requirements
T005A: Creative Design Services

http://vendor.purchasingconnection.c...-1FF3A1FD3458&

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:40 PM
Community Guy

FORMAL PRESENTATION

B.3. Alex Decoteau Park City of Edmonton - Martina Gardiner 10204 - 105 Street NW Site legally described as:
Lots 178 - 182, Block 5, Plan B2

P. Odinga presented the comments of the Development Planner.
MOVED: A. Pantelimon

Motion of non-support.

• This design does not demonstrate an understanding of urban design principles in what will be a premier location within an urban context.
• This is a park for not only the community league, but for all residents of Edmonton and beyond. It needs to demonstrate an exemplary level of urban park design.
• This design does not relate to the surrounding urban fabric of Downtown Edmonton.
• The pedestrian circulation design is fragmented and does not follow natural desire lines.
• The five elements of the program could be accommodated within this site with a simplified and cohesive design.
• A rigorous review of site furnishings, plantings, and other materials and how they relate to one another is required.
• The level of design of this project needs to set a precedent of excellence for other projects within the city.
• Programming should consider winter activities.
• Planting design should include coniferous material with respect to City standards and Winter City Principles.
SECONDED: M. Nebozuk
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: C. Domanski, C. Craig, R. Labonte, M. Nebozuk, K. Pacheco, A. Pantelimon, G. Renwic

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...nutesJan19.pdf

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:46 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Wow, back to the drawing board, eh?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:49 PM
Community Guy

^yes and no, our COE landscape architect can address most issues with some minor changes, but some of the comments seem a bit odd or perhaps without context. The plan is to still move forward this year with it, but after some forthcoming changes.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:51 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Good to hear, but yeah, the number and extent of the comments is surprising.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton