HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 9:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
It's exactly like, "You have $5000 in credit card debt! How can you justify spending money on deodorant before a job interview?"
No, it's more like having tens of billions in debt and spending hundreds of millions on needless beautification glamour projects when we, as a city, cannot afford necessary things. We literally cannot afford to pay our police officers or fire fighters. Our roads and infrastructure are in a constant state of disrepair. Many of our schools are grossly underfunded. And thats just a few of this city's MANY financial problems. My point is, all these fancy downtown showpieces are indicative of Emanuel's continued farce of a mayorship.

But whatever... here's to hoping this river walk thing and the others bring billions in tourist revenue and soon.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
It's an investment like that other park of ours that spurred on millions in construction and tax revenue.

"Who the fuck is paying for this Millennium Park? This park is cute an all but blah blah blah debt blah blah beautification project HULK SMASH!!" - Tom Servo (circa 2000)

http://economyleague.org/files/File/Millennium.pdf

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:10 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
One thing I kinda wish the city would do, though, is commission a few talented but smaller-scale architects to design 10-20 standardized, LEED-compliant, easily constructed, multi-use buildings ... [t]hen allow the use of those plans for anyone wanting to invest in vacant or condemned lots in TOD-compatible areas.
I like that idea a lot—a lot better than this goofiness:

Making new homes—in Chicago's climate—from metal shipping containers.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...wood-for-homes

But do we have a shortage of units on the South and West Sides? We've been losing hundreds or thousands each year to neglect and abandonment. Seems to me we have a shortage of willing residents.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Wait a second... who the fuck is paying for this 100 million dollar river walk project? Also who paid for the 90 million dollar High Line duplicate? These things are cute and all, but at what cost are we neglecting our underfunded schools, our dilapidated roads, our police and fire pensions, etc...??? Funny how there always seems to be plenty of money in the budget for beautification projects along the Lakefront and various places downtown.

We're BILLIONS of dollars in debt, so where is the money for these needless glamour projects coming from?
Ever heard the phrase, it "takes money to make money?". Also it's not always a choice where to spend money. In most cases it's a choice to accept money awarded to the city. If a city gets a federal loan grant to build a park, they can't use it to build a school. That would be illegal.

It's simple really. Signature parks ---> elevate housing values ---> more tax revenue. It makes sense to spend money on public projects that will deliver higher returns.

Last edited by Rizzo; May 27, 2015 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Holey shit

Im going right to the website right now to get me a room.

http://chicagoathletichotel.com/

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:16 PM

Updated proposal for the Apollo Theater development on Lincoln:

In other news, NIMBY's continue to devolve and become increasingly less intelligent:

Quote:
Can Lincoln Park prices support a 200-unit transit-oriented development project?

That was the big question raised by audience members at a meeting for the resurrected Lincoln Centre development Tuesday night. Such projects allow developers to reduce the required number of off-street parking spaces in residential developments if they are within 600 feet of a transit station.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...g-lincoln-park
Or maybe it's just DNAinfo since they go on later to say that only one resident asked such a mind numbingly stupid question.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Holey shit

Im going right to the website right now to get me a room.

http://chicagoathletichotel.com/
honestly the rooms look like the least exciting part of the project. theyre humble which i appreciate, but not anything fancy considering the price. altho i like the bathrooms a lot. the common areas are the real knockouts tho.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:38 AM

Quote:
honestly the rooms look like the least exciting part of the project. theyre humble which i appreciate, but not anything fancy considering the price. altho i like the bathrooms a lot. the common areas are the real knockouts tho.
I think it's that the style of the rooms are trying to evoke, because I was in them and they certainly weren't cheap. Everything in them was custom designed. That said, most of the rooms are pretty compact: just big enough for a bed, dresser, and desk, but the bathrooms are consistently luxurious. The large bathrooms paired with comparatively small rooms seems to be a trend that I've noticed in other new hotels.

Certainly the number of common areas available to guests and the finishes throughout the hotel and the location are driving the price much more than the small rooms and general lack of views (more than half of the rooms must look into alleys and other buildings).

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM

Quote:
honestly the rooms look like the least exciting part of the project. theyre humble which i appreciate, but not anything fancy considering the price.
I really liked the masculine, turn-of-the-century feel of the rooms despite their cozy size.
It's also really hard to argue with the view of the lake and park.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:38 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I like that idea a lot—a lot better than this goofiness:
But do we have a shortage of units on the South and West Sides? We've been losing hundreds or thousands each year to neglect and abandonment. Seems to me we have a shortage of willing residents.
I'd argue that on much of the South Side, we have both a lack of willing residents and a shortage of suitable units. You're not going to get a lot of families moving into an area like Washington Park or Englewood, but you can attract some level of individuals who are not as risk-averse as parents are but who may not want to live in buildings that have been through the ravages of time, but also want to be within a five minute walk of a train station.

If it worked to create islands of stability, it could lead to re-opening stations that no longer exist, running more frequent trains, and, eventually, supporting additional lines (long term). You could TIF them to support dedicated police to those areas until they stabilized, too.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:39 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Crubed Chi has updated renderings for the O'Hare Intermodal goliath that started construction last week - Ross Barney is the architect, which is pretty cool (they also designed the recently opened River walk).

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:37 PM

I rode the brown line today for the first time in a long time, and I noticed this project I don't recall ever hearing about:

According to the geocode, it was around Hill and Orleans.. looks like it may be attached to Walter Payton Prep.

Last edited by wierdaaron; May 29, 2015 at 6:48 AM. Reason: smaller thumbs

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I rode the brown line today for the first time in a long time, and I noticed this project I don't recall ever hearing about:

According to the geocode, it was around Hill and Orleans.. looks like it may be attached to Walter Payton Prep.
It's an expansion of WPP: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...de-gym-theater

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 11:12 PM

Shout out to my school!! Although many of us still think the TIF money would have been better spent elsewhere. Heck, even though the money couldn't have gone out of its district, opening another elementary school or giving a portion of it to Jenner would have been helpful.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 12:02 AM
TL;DR

Not often that I say this, but wow, this project got so much better the second time around. Rotating the building mass up against the L tracks will help deaden the sound of trains, and opens up a cool twin-tower effect on Lincoln.

The material change is also awesome, I love this kind of terracotta paneling.

Odd that this development could have been ripped right out of the Childrens Hospital plan, from its height to its density to its parking ratio, but the neighborhood doesn't seem to be concerned in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Updated proposal for the Apollo Theater development on Lincoln:

In other news, NIMBY's continue to devolve and become increasingly less intelligent:

Or maybe it's just DNAinfo since they go on later to say that only one resident asked such a mind numbingly stupid question.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:01 AM

Let's just be glad that not many Lincoln Parkers are upset with this plan.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Let's just be glad that not many Lincoln Parkers are upset with this plan.
That's because it is pretty much as of right.
It's a massive site already zoned B3-3

The only thing they are asking for is the height

Seat of the pants measurement makes me think they are not even asking for the TOD FAR bump. Density is below allowed.
Frankly, the unit mix is excellent, meaning that the building itself will contain a robust community and be able to weather variations in housing demand. And the new massing and materials are incredible improvements.

Sorry, I spoke too soon.
They may be asking for 25 more units than allowed under TOD, unless they can define some of the studios as efficiencies.

Last edited by PKDickman; May 29, 2015 at 3:03 PM. Reason: spoke to soon

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Shout out to my school!! Although many of us still think the TIF money would have been better spent elsewhere. Heck, even though the money couldn't have gone out of its district, opening another elementary school or giving a portion of it to Jenner would have been helpful.
From the city's perspective, this has to be considered an investment. One of the things that sends families - families that buy homes - from Chicago to the burbs is education. When daughter/son doesn't get into a selective enrollment high school, they bolt for the suburbs and New Trier et al. By spending TIF funds on these high performing high schools, the city hopes mom and dad stay in Chicago. It's a priority of the Emmanual admin to expand Jones College Prep, Walter Payton Prep, and others so that more families with high school-aged children stay put. There's a huge demand from families of all income levels for these schools. They are, after all, some of the best public schools in the nation.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 3:45 PM

Yeah I understand why that is the case but elementary schools are necessary as well, especially for South Loop. I know many parents who wished there were more options other than South Loop Elementary and National Teacher's Academy, which is why they wished the old Jones College Prep building would be converted into a neighborhood school.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 7:49 PM
THAT Guy

Harpo Studios redevelopment

Possible development north of 1K Fulton

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development