HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 10:23 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post

I think the 747 always takes off and lands on the west runway (35L/17R).
They usually request to land the West runway but can land the east runway no problem. I had to assign them the east runway last week. They almost always depart the West runway.

You can listen to the controller pilot communications on liveatc.net to listen for what runway BAW is assigned. Listen on Radar East (127.22). Blink and you'll miss it. 😉

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
They usually request to land the West runway but can land the east runway no problem. I had to assign them the east runway last week. They almost always depart the West runway.

You can listen to the controller pilot communications on liveatc.net to listen for what runway BAW is assigned. Listen on Radar East (127.22). Blink and you'll miss it. 😉
Out of curiosity, how does the heat impact ops? I know we don’t have the altitude issue but it must mean longer takeoffs?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Anyone know what happened with the new cell phone lot and retail center? I thought it was supposed to open end of last year.
Its opening this weekend as Austin Airport Food and Fuel with 120 space parking lot. There will be a Java and Subway moving into the space next to it soon. They are also adding an airport themed playground.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 11:34 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how does the heat impact ops? I know we don’t have the altitude issue but it must mean longer takeoffs?
Longer landings and longer takeoffs. It's common for a fully loaded JFK, BOS or LGA flight to request the West runway because of weight.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 11:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I know there are people that make the drive up, but without some sort of statistics I wouldn't be willing to state that AUS gets a substantial amount of traffic from San Antonio (certainly not enough that SAT will either suffer or benefit from other airlines trying to retaliate against DL's growth at AUS). Even though it's not that far, traffic is still pretty variable; we quit making that drive after we missed a flight out of SAT because there was a wreck on 35.

On the other hand, my parents (who live in Georgetown) have no issues with driving to DFW to catch a flight to Europe, so ... who can say?
Not sure if there is any recent data out but a few years back there were some stats released by the airport that showed how many people (more likely the frequency they travelled) in each county in central, south and east Texas who used ABIA in a year. I'm pretty sure the number they showed for Bexar county was well over 100K. Interestingly enough, it showed many counties closer to Houston that had fairly high numbers of people using ABIA.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Not sure if there is any recent data out but a few years back there were some stats released by the airport that showed how many people (more likely the frequency they travelled) in each county in central, south and east Texas who used ABIA in a year. I'm pretty sure the number they showed for Bexar county was well over 100K. Interestingly enough, it showed many counties closer to Houston that had fairly high numbers of people using ABIA.
A contributor to that may be the simplicity of ABIA's layout, at least for now. Once you get into the main terminal and upstairs, you go left or right depending on your gate number. No other major airport I've travelled into is as easy to navigate. I might choose to drive to a further away airport to avoid the complexity of the larger airports if I lived in Houston, or Dallas. Travelling for me now is more and more infrequent and I don't need the stress of trying to figure out where the hell I'm supposed to be. That's why I tend to get there way before I need to. Really the toughest part is finding a parking spot. The shuttle service is spot on from there.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 5:56 PM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:44 PM

British Airways Aircraft Change

British Airways’ new schedule for AUS is a 747 for the Spring and Summer season and then a 773 for the Fall and Winter season. 773 service begins October 28th and runs til March 31st. Then the 747 takes over again.

According to wiki, don’t know how accurate it is but BA has 12 773s in the fleet and 3 on order. Seating arrangement is 14F, 56J, 44W, 183Y for a total of 297 pax. Their 789 seats 216 pax, a sizable upgrade and a much longer plane.

Last edited by masonh2479; Jun 28, 2018 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
British Airways’ new schedule for AUS is a 747 for the Spring and Summer season and then a 773 for the Fall and Winter season.
Wow, starting this fall? Or next?

<edit>
NM, just answered my own question (yes, from Oct 28-March 30): https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...craft-changes/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Wow, starting this fall? Or next?

<edit>
NM, just answered my own question (yes, from Oct 28-March 30): https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...craft-changes/
Yeah just edited that info in , confirmed it by dummy bookings on BA’s site. The huge upscale in capacity is really impressive. From a 788 to a 789 to a 747 and 789 combo and now a 747 and 773 combo, nice!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah just edited that info in , confirmed it by dummy bookings on BA’s site. The huge upscale in capacity is really impressive. From a 788 to a 789 to a 747 and 789 combo and now a 747 and 773 combo, nice!
Yeah, BA only has one configuration on the 773. (I always check Seatguru).

At the same time <whiny voice> I actually *like* the 789. The windows are huge; even if you’re in the center section you can still see out.

Fingers crossed we get the refurbed 744s next summer!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, BA only has one configuration on the 773. (I always check Seatguru).

At the same time <whiny voice> I actually *like* the 789. The windows are huge; even if you’re in the center section you can still see out.

Fingers crossed we get the refurbed 744s next summer!
You’ll really like the 773 I got the privilege to fly in one from LAX to LHR and it was increasingly spacious. I’ve been inside the 787 003 or 004, don’t remember which in Seattle and it’s windows were huge, if you look at videos online for the 773 each first class seat gets two windows spaced closely together.

I agree on the 747 and really wish we would get the nice version, the one we have now is a shame. Nice plane on the outside but not on the inside.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 11:55 PM

New cell phone lot opens next month.
https://youtu.be/hTJ8f5Ud55I

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Pretty cool. I'll be interested to see if the gas prices are truly "competitive" like they mention in the video.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
Pretty cool. I'll be interested to see if the gas prices are truly "competitive" like they mention in the video.
I kinda doubt they will be, but people will still flock there because it’s really the only option iifc.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:00 AM

I have been thinking today about our service to London and completely forgot about Virgin Atlantic. If all of these Delta rumors come true I would say it is very probably that Virgin Atlantic would come on in, considering they are practically owned by Delta. To be honest I think BA will kick Norwegian out and Virgin Atlantic will stop on in after Norwegian leaves and will fly to Heathrow, not Gatwick.

If the Amsterdam service comes to fruit, will it be on Delta or KLM, I would prefer KLM because they would add a new livery to watch.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
I kinda doubt they will be, but people will still flock there because it’s really the only option iifc.
Might still be cheaper than what the rentals charge.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:52 AM
Just Some Dude

The wife, daughter, and myself will be on a Condor flight heading out directly from Austin to Frankfurt, Germany in late August. It was a nice direct flight for a good price. Felt good to be able to catch such a flight out of Austin without layovers or having to travel to another airport like Houston or Dallas. It's a Boeing 767-300ER.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I have been thinking today about our service to London and completely forgot about Virgin Atlantic. If all of these Delta rumors come true I would say it is very probably that Virgin Atlantic would come on in, considering they are practically owned by Delta. To be honest I think BA will kick Norwegian out and Virgin Atlantic will stop on in after Norwegian leaves and will fly to Heathrow, not Gatwick.

If the Amsterdam service comes to fruit, will it be on Delta or KLM, I would prefer KLM because they would add a new livery to watch.
The rumors were pretty consistently that AMS would be on DL. Apparently when they brought the equipment in to load/unload the 763 they left it here, which was one of the telltale signs the service would come back on that aircraft in some capacity.

VS is, I suppose, a possibility, but they’re kind of conservative in adding new routes. If I were going to bet, I’d say AMS and then somewhere in Asia first before expanding Europe.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 6:27 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
As someone who works overnight near the airport, I wish they would have addressed if this will be a 24 hour convenience store. I really hope it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin