HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
Optimized profile descent (OPD) arrivals. Around 2014 we got these arrivals that allowed aircraft to descend all the way down to 4 thousand feet without control instructions but there were some issues with how they were built. We would typically break them off of the arrival to fly over the Round Rock area for sequencing. The arrivals were fixed last December so now there aren't nearly as many aircraft that have to be vectored over Round Rock.
ATCZERO, my wife asked me to ask you to put it back the way it was. We enjoyed the flyovers. Thank you in advance.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Why do I seldom see incoming aircraft fly over my house anymore...just northwest of 45 and 130 in Round Rock?
I live behind Dell-RR (AW Grimes and SH45) and I see them fairly regularly, although it has decreased from what I used to see, although I admit I am inside more often than I used to be.

I have seen the incoming BA 747 a few times this week once they started landing from the north, and it even came right over my apartment today coming in from the NE before they turned directly south. Thought that was kinda cool

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 8:25 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Supposedly the process for getting a new tower has already been started. One of the issues identified with the current tower is that it's too short. It would have to be taller.

The skybridge connecting the terminals would allow 2 B737s to pass side by side underneath or a single B787 or larger to pass underneath. A gate in the middle (10 maybe?) would go away to allow the bridge. The southern terminal would extend a little to the West but can't extend to be a mirror image of the current terminal because of the de ice facility and new taxiways that would pass south and west of the de ice facility. The terminal would extend West almost to taxiway Charlie. Also, there would finally be a ramp control.
What about bigger planes, could a 747 pass under the bridge and if not, why not build higher to accommodate taller aircraft?

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 11:58 AM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
What about bigger planes, could a 747 pass under the bridge and if not, why not build higher to accommodate taller aircraft?
Design group 5 aircraft (767, 787, 747, A310 etc) can pass under one at a time.

Design group 3 aircraft (737, A320, E170 etc) can pass under two at a time side by side.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Design group 5 aircraft (767, 787, 747, A310 etc) can pass under one at a time.

Design group 3 aircraft (737, A320, E170 etc) can pass under two at a time side by side.
I would assume or hope that this bridge has moving walkways, I kinda wish the path was underground but that would be way more expensive.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:48 PM

747 taxing under walkway London Gatwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
r

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:02 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 6:59 PM

Does anybody know why the new ABIA retail and cell phone lot hasn't opened yet? The airport website says it was supposed to open in 2017. When I've driven past it over the last few months, it looks like they've stopped working on it even though it looks close to being finished.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
Does anybody know why the new ABIA retail and cell phone lot hasn't opened yet? The airport website says it was supposed to open in 2017. When I've driven past it over the last few months, it looks like they've stopped working on it even though it looks close to being finished.
I’ve wondered the same thing. Do the stores have to be open before we can park there?

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:45 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
I’ve wondered the same thing. Do the stores have to be open before we can park there?
I think the new cell lot is open. I used one the other day. It's big and near the west runway. However, it could have been a temporary one.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I think the new cell lot is open. I used one the other day. It's big and near the west runway. However, it could have been a temporary one.
That’s the temporary one, yeah.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:53 PM

So, I tweeted at the airport to ask about the cellphone lot. The reply is that there are permitting issues and the revisited ETA is the end of the year. *meh.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:18 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
So, I tweeted at the airport to ask about the cellphone lot. The reply is that there are permitting issues and the revisited ETA is the end of the year. *meh.
Permitting challenges? They are the city...permitting themselves, correct?

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
That certainly is screwy. Maybe it's a problem with the underground gas tanks they put in or something like that. Thanks for checking with the city on this!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:30 AM

A Queen and a Prince

t

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:01 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
ATCZERO, my wife asked me to ask you to put it back the way it was. We enjoyed the flyovers. Thank you in advance.
Do not worry, the new approaches put the planes lower and more frequently over my house in North Central Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO
Optimized profile descent (OPD) arrivals. Around 2014 we got these arrivals that allowed aircraft to descend all the way down to 4 thousand feet without control instructions but there were some issues with how they were built.
I checked the OPDs, and it looks like they are supposed to be north of me (flying north of and along 183) but they are flying between 183 and 2222. Is this a case of me misplacing them in the air, or are they flying South of where the the OPD is?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:42 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
Do not worry, the new approaches put the planes lower and more frequently over my house in North Central Austin.

I checked the OPDs, and it looks like they are supposed to be north of me (flying north of and along 183) but they are flying between 183 and 2222. Is this a case of me misplacing them in the air, or are they flying South of where the the OPD is?
It might take me a few days but I'll try to find a way to overlay the arrivals on Google maps and link it so you can see the exact points they fly over.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
It might take me a few days but I'll try to find a way to overlay the arrivals on Google maps and link it so you can see the exact points they fly over.
Hey....if I give you fifty bucks would you put them over my ex-wife's house????? If you cannot do all then how about every flight between 10pm and say 7am.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
That certainly is screwy. Maybe it's a problem with the underground gas tanks they put in or something like that. Thanks for checking with the city on this!
You probably all figured this out, but I did mean "revised." It annoys me that autocorrect thinks it knows better than me...

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Hey....if I give you fifty bucks would you put them over my ex-wife's house????? If you cannot do all then how about every flight between 10pm and say 7am.
You may as well also ask him for BA191 to do a 360 around your ex’s house . Or an MD80.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:56 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

So it seems for the time being that there are no more announcements for major route additions. Seems like May was pretty active when it came to route announcements over the past few years. I assume it has to do with lack of gate space and that we will hear about a multitude of route announcements once the east pier is open.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin