HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's official...

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1766

NATIONALLY RENOWNED LEGENDS HOSPITALITY CHOSEN TO DEVELOP AND OPERATE
THREE-STORY OBSERVATION DECK ATOP ONE WORLD TRADE CENTER

Date: Mar 20, 2013
Press Release Number: 31-2013

A History of the construction of 1WTC?
I wonder if they will go into great detail about all the wasted, time, money design changes and corruption it took to get this project finished?

Man I hope they ditch the friggin ads and let people see the view and have some quiet time while they are up there, If I want to see guady flashing lights and ads I'll go to Times Square.
I do like Traynors Idea for projecting the names of the buildings, sites, etc on the glass for tourists to learn about NYC, but it will get in the way for photography, if it was kept on only one level I'd be OK with it.

At least the ad billboards in the obvservation deck will take everyones attention away from bitching about the spire/radome/mast cluster F#@%.
The closer this building gets to being finished to more it looks like it belongs as an attraction at Niagra Falls or Vegas, not an office tower with a view at the top.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:01 PM

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Mar 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post
At least the ad billboards in the obvservation deck will take everyones attention away from bitching about the spire/radome/mast cluster F#@%.
Only people with a nerdy interest in skyscraper architecture are bitching about the thing on the roof. Everyone else doesn't give two shits what it's called.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:04 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
There is no scandal. The original glass for the original type of base would have broken into dangerous shards. I don't get why you guys are so ignorant. Besides the new base is better because the base to the original Twin Towers were boxes as well. It is a symbolic gesture.
None of what you said refuted what I said. Yes the glass would shatter in trials. That is because they went with the cheap Chinese alternative somewhere back in 2007-2009 time period. They could have fixed the glass, but the cost and time of shipping the proper equipment to china was too high after the wrong equipment was already sent, and so everything was scrapped. The problem could have been avoided if the original glass maker was chosen as the contractor, instead they went to China and got shit. Now you call their mistake a 'symbolic gesture to the original towers'. That's a great cover for everything that has gone wrong on this project....

Also I would still like to make it clear that the glass going up is awesome, and I am sure to love it when its done. I am just sad for the prismatic glass and chamfered corners that we nearly got.

Last edited by fimiak; Mar 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:58 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I guess that's what happens when you get accountants and greedy pig developers running the show.
-
You're right, the PA andthe governor(s) deserve no blame at all.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:38 PM

So much arguing and bashing on this forum. Anyway, I may be one of the only few people who love nearly every aspect of this tower.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 8:28 PM

Why is nobody discussing the renewed potential for a restaurant at the top of 1WTC?? The renderings from Legends certainly show a restaurant, and yet I here nothing from the forum? What gives? It should be big news!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepandfetch View Post
Why is nobody discussing the renewed potential for a restaurant at the top of 1WTC?? The renderings from Legends certainly show a restaurant, and yet I here nothing from the forum? What gives? It should be big news!
Because the majority think its going to be a concession area. I however think it will be a real restaurant or at least I hope it is so when I go to the top I can eat with an amazing view

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
Okay. Okay. Add short sighted politicians to the mix as well. I count the PA as accountants in this case though. While we're at it let's just call them all a committy. And we all know how well those work don't we?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 11:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Only people with a nerdy interest in skyscraper architecture are bitching about the thing on the roof. Everyone else doesn't give two shits what it's called.
You're right, most people don't care about skyscrapers. But I don't know what people you would expect to find on a skyscraper forum. Regardless though,
that a lot of people may not care about something does not mean it should not be correct.

takegoro

isriya

Tin Can 1

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Why did they cut the tridents of the originals, and why is the silver colour cladding gone?
Hard to believe that they used to be part of the lobbies...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Okay. Okay. Add short sighted politicians to the mix as well. I count the PA as accountants in this case though. While we're at it let's just call them all a committy. And we all know how well those work don't we?
They sure dont seem to work much these days. This is one time when the blasé' attitude of New Yorkers really gets on my nerves. Public pressure is such a powerful force, and it's a shame because it seems like only Nimbys decide to wield that power in the realm of skyscrapers.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Man, I sure am going to miss those updates by Carlos. But I'm guessing he had to move due College, as I know he loved Queens more than anything. Wish you luck in Florida, Carlos.

pmarella

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmarell...n/photostream/

THAT photo is absolutely STUNNING! My lord, that is beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
Why did they cut the tridents of the originals, and why is the silver colour cladding gone?
Hard to believe that they used to be part of the lobbies...
Those tridents are what remained of the Twin Towers after 9/11 when they collapsed. They are nothing more than memorial pieces now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepandfetch View Post
It's not a real restaurant. It will probably be something like Sbarro's which was in the South Tower of the original World Trade Center.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:23 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I like the redesigned base a lot better then the original base. I think it's the glass they're using for the base that makes me like it.

Anyway, I'm sure this has been answered already in the 1500+ pages of this thread, but I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me approximately when the outside of this building (cladding, rings and spire) will be finished.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:12 AM

Last time I was told end of may for curtain wall to the top and end of march to mast erection. Don't know if the schedule has been pushed.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:40 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
You're right, the PA and the governor deserve no blame at all ? I don't know about that , it was Gov. Cuomo who replace Chris Ward, for Pat Foye as executive director for the Port Authority ! and trust me if Chris Ward was still in charge the decision to scrap the radome enclosure who have never been made , as well as all the other architectural mess ups.

http://buildingthefreedomtower.com/a-change-in-design/ http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/m...ticle-1.965069

Last edited by Yankee fan for life; Mar 22, 2013 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:48 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There's some odd, special quality about the New York skyline, maybe it's true of any skyline, but I find it especially true in Manhattan. You could build any slew of new and different buildings, but once complete, they fit. They just look like they belong, like they could've been there forever. It's pretty cool...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive