HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:41 AM

That GoodLife is a horrible setup and it's so hidden away most people probably don't know it exists unless you work at one of the P&M towers. Was always surprised they didn't have a sign outside or in the concourse. It's smart for them to move.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
201 is dieing weird
Heard an unconfirmed rumour that Taylor McCaffrey LLP is looking at taking over TDS LLP’s spot at 201. They’re currently at 400 St. Mary.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:30 AM

^ A public announcement was already made to that effect.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
201 is dieing weird
Regina boys moved in and seem to be having a hard time figuring it out. The whole 'heritage building purchase for demo' thing is a prime example.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Regina boys moved in and seem to be having a hard time figuring it out. The whole 'heritage building purchase for demo' thing is a prime example.
They're probably used to doing whatever they want in Regina.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:45 PM

I wish them best of luck so we can get that surface lot filled in and have the current building filled with profitable businesses.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That is definitely true. Plus there is an old boys club in Winnipeg as I am sure you know.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Highrise adds to Winnipeg skyline
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...477164173.html
Article says to expect cranes on site by June/July

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:54 PM
keep the good times going

The architect of this project, Ray Wan, visited one of my classes yesterday to give a lecture on architecture and such. He spoke about the projects details and its construction methods. It is going to be steel construction and he said about 2 weeks a floor I think. He said all the components are prefab off-site and brought in. The glazing is supposed to be put up in two-floor tall components.
So hopefully fast construction?

Regarding the actual building, he said there are 395 units, a national restaurant on the main floor and amenities on the top floor. the space that was supposed to hold a grocery store is going to hold a national gym - the grocery store pulled out apparently because it wasn't feasible?

When he took questions I asked him about the timeline of construction - he gave me a beat around the bush answer but confirmed that construction has begun in Winnipeg square and that they have been testing the inherited foundation and doing the loud stuff late at night.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:17 PM

^ Thanks for the info, peg.

So is the gym space where Good Life Fitness is going to end up? I'm not surprised that it won't be a grocery store, there just isn't the critical mass around there to support one. Most of the new urban supermarkets in other North American cities that I've seen have been in neighbourhoods with multiple highrise residences within a few blocks to create a real critical mass of density. One tower, even if it's 300 Main's height, won't generate that on its own. Maybe if something ever gets built on the Skycity site then perhaps it could happen.

I'm also wondering if the potential is there for the gym to one day be replaced by something more substantial... ideally the atrium hotel (or office building) originally proposed for that site. If the gym is going to be a basic throwaway big box four walls-and-a-roof kind of thing sitting on top of Winnipeg Square, then it's not hard to imagine it getting replaced down the line by something bigger and more permanent.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Probably this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
That is definitely true. Plus there is an old boys club in Winnipeg as I am sure you know.
I'm not so sure... Winnipeg has a small concentration of trades that ultimately can shield business for themselves since the market is too small to have national companies swoop in. However you can't prevent anyone from outside a club of any kind from buying property they perceive to be valuable and developing it. Maybe some people are connected, but never to the point where they make it harder for other developers to do business.

Harvard seems less than savvy sometimes, atleast to out market. But they have the energy and money to make corrections quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
The architect of this project, Ray Wan, visited one of my classes yesterday to give a lecture on architecture and such. He spoke about the projects details and its construction methods. It is going to be steel construction and he said about 2 weeks a floor I think. He said all the components are prefab off-site and brought in. The glazing is supposed to be put up in two-floor tall components.
So hopefully fast construction?

Regarding the actual building, he said there are 395 units, a national restaurant on the main floor and amenities on the top floor. the space that was supposed to hold a grocery store is going to hold a national gym - the grocery store pulled out apparently because it wasn't feasible?

When he took questions I asked him about the timeline of construction - he gave me a beat around the bush answer but confirmed that construction has begun in Winnipeg square and that they have been testing the inherited foundation and doing the loud stuff late at night.
Those assembly methods are definitely supposed to build faster, and be lighter. They should be able to build this some 6 months quicker than a comparable concrete highrise or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Thanks for the info, peg.

So is the gym space where Good Life Fitness is going to end up? I'm not surprised that it won't be a grocery store, there just isn't the critical mass around there to support one. Most of the new urban supermarkets in other North American cities that I've seen have been in neighbourhoods with multiple highrise residences within a few blocks to create a real critical mass of density. One tower, even if it's 300 Main's height, won't generate that on its own. Maybe if something ever gets built on the Skycity site then perhaps it could happen.

I'm also wondering if the potential is there for the gym to one day be replaced by something more substantial... ideally the atrium hotel (or office building) originally proposed for that site. If the gym is going to be a basic throwaway big box four walls-and-a-roof kind of thing sitting on top of Winnipeg Square, then it's not hard to imagine it getting replaced down the line by something bigger and more permanent.
Grocery isn't a question of critical mass right now.

Grocery across the country is not performing well... with loblaws doing alright, Save-On stagnant, and the rest losing money. Factor in everyone's fear of Amazon's next move, nobody is willing to make big plays anywhere now, never mind downtown Wpg. I think Wpg is heading in the right direction to theoretically support a grocery store, and downtown's population growth is doubling the city average. Plenty of smaller projects throughout downtown and the exchange have helped, so I think the problem is more the grocery industry than our downtown.

The centre portion is definitely the best location for the gym, so I'd imagine that's where it's going. They'd only sign a long term lease, so to hope for something else down the road would be whimsical. Good Life is a great tenant to have anyway. I've also heard that parts of the centre portion are not nearly as strong as initially suggested by the original developer, so hoping for 4+ stories at any point would have been unrealistic.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 4:57 PM

Considering work has been underway on this project for some time and it is also above grade can we have the thread title updated to included U/C (under construction)?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:06 PM

Things are getting busy on site

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:11 PM

YESSSSSS!!!!! Crane coming as the crane at TNS comes down.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:42 PM

love how the ARTIS building looks in that photo

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:44 PM

At first I wasn't sold on how both segments have different colour patterns, but from far away it kind of appears like two buildings which is cool. I'm very curious to see how the mall will be integrated. Will the skylights open to above and be like a multi-level mall?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:16 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Super hyped!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:08 AM
GQMF

I'm so excited!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 5:14 PM

So glad to see this Under Construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan