HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Out of curiosity, once the bypass is fully completed, how will the highways (Ring Road especially) be renumbered? xD
If past experience in Regina is any indication, the new bypass will be designated Highway 1 and the old bypass/Ring Road will have no highway number at all (or will keep the Highway 6 designation until the west bypass opens.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Eastbound, 80 at Pilot Butte, westbound, 110 through Pilot Butte.
OK I was westbound.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
What I find more interesting is that the NW part of Ring Road (9th Ave North) Pasqua St to Pinky Rd, will now be the completion of the "Ring" when the West Bypass opens. I hope the city has recognized that traffic volumes on that stretch will increase somewhat dramatically. The 50,000+ VPD will increase as people in the North use it to get to TCH Westbound as oppose to using Lewvan or the Ring Road east to bypass rail tracks.
Didn't we already have this discussion on here somewhere... won't the drive time be very, very similar from the Bypass split (Tower Rd) to go a) via the Bypass to Hwy 11 versus b) via Vic/Ring/9th to Hwy 11 (given lights, less free-flowing design, and reduced speeds on portions)?

I agree that some people will use 9th Ave to access Hwy 11 via the west Bypass, but I would think a significant portion will continue to use Lewvan/Pasqua or Albert. Really only starts to make sense for people west of McCarthy to use 9th/West Bypass to access Hwy 11, no?
(I don't live in the north, so I'm not sure of traffic patterns - so I recognize I may be completely off-base here).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Didn't we already have this discussion on here somewhere... won't the drive time be very, very similar from the Bypass split (Tower Rd) to go a) via the Bypass to Hwy 11 versus b) via Vic/Ring/9th to Hwy 11 (given lights, less free-flowing design, and reduced speeds on portions)?

I agree that some people will use 9th Ave to access Hwy 11 via the west Bypass, but I would think a significant portion will continue to use Lewvan/Pasqua or Albert. Really only starts to make sense for people west of McCarthy to use 9th/West Bypass to access Hwy 11, no?
(I don't live in the north, so I'm not sure of traffic patterns - so I recognize I may be completely off-base here).
I wouldn't say highway 11 would be the issue. I would think people going west on highway 1 that live in the north. Instead of dealing with lights on lewvan or the trains on Ring Road just take 9th go to the WRB south to highway 1. Also makes the trip from the Northend to the south end of town and vice versa potentially quicker to take the new "west" Ring Road. No trains and faster speed limit.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say highway 11 would be the issue. I would think people going west on highway 1 that live in the north. Instead of dealing with lights on lewvan or the trains on Ring Road just take 9th go to the WRB south to highway 1. Also makes the trip from the Northend to the south end of town and vice versa potentially quicker to take the new "west" Ring Road. No trains and faster speed limit.
Oh, OK - gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense (especially the train avoidance factor).

Similarly, I expect people in the south end will use the Bypass to get from Albert to Vic East. Not the impact on City roadways that you're describing in the north, but one of many shifts in urban traffic patterns that the Bypass will prompt.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, OK - gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense (especially the train avoidance factor).

Similarly, I expect people in the south end will use the Bypass to get from Albert to Vic East. Not the impact on City roadways that you're describing in the north, but one of many shifts in urban traffic patterns that the Bypass will prompt.
Indeed. The good thing here. As oppose to Saskatoon. Is that 9th Ave North has the room to become a limited access freeway as there are only 4 cross roads and a lot of room for interchanges. Circle Drive North by comparison is crammed right in.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think Highway 11 has more Regina-originated traffic than TCH West. TCH obviously has a lot more through traffic, but in my experience a lot more people from Regina drive to Lumsden, Regina Beach, Saskatoon, Battleford, Edmonton than to Moose Jaw, Swift, MH, Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I may be wrong but I think Highway 11 has more Regina-originated traffic than TCH West. TCH obviously has a lot more through traffic, but in my experience a lot more people from Regina drive to Lumsden, Regina Beach, Saskatoon, Battleford, Edmonton than to Moose Jaw, Swift, MH, Calgary.
That is likely the case. And for highway 11 most north Enders will use the Traditional routes north. Those in Westhill and McCarthy Park may choose North via the WRB. I think the main increase in Traffic will be inner city. I myself would rather chose unimpeaded free flow travel than traffic lights, or trains anyday.

Time will tell. Although I can be fairly certain highway 6 through traffic to highway 11 will take WRB as oppose to RR or Lewvan. Somewhat strange too, and I know it was a money thing. That they didn't extend WRB to highway 6 north.

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Mar 21, 2018 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
I fully expect that The Ring Road section of the TCH will be renamed TCH 1A.

What I find more interesting is that the NW part of Ring Road (9th Ave North) Pasqua St to Pinky Rd, will now be the completion of the "Ring" when the West Bypass opens. I hope the city has recognized that traffic volumes on that stretch will increase somewhat dramatically. The 50,000+ VPD will increase as people in the North use it to get to TCH Westbound as oppose to using Lewvan or the Ring Road east to bypass rail tracks.
I'm fairly certain that the route to no go north from Regina is to use the bypass around the south side. I don't think the bypass was ever supposed to represent a "ring".

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I'm fairly certain that the route to no go north from Regina is to use the bypass around the south side. I don't think the bypass was ever supposed to represent a "ring".
Correct. It just happens to complete the Ring Road. Not in name but physical connection. And regardless will become a popular road used by city inhabitants. Similar to how the South-East portion of Ring Road was built as a bypass in the 70s has become a primary North South connector for city residents

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Correct. It just happens to complete the Ring Road. Not in name but physical connection. And regardless will become a popular road used by city inhabitants. Similar to how the South-East portion of Ring Road was built as a bypass in the 70s has become a primary North South connector for city residents
That is the main reason it has been placed close to the City, at least on the E and W sides. Bypass critics never seemed to grasp that. I live the in SE and use highway 11 many dozens of times per year. I will definitely be using the WRB, if not the new south bypass. Just avoiding the summer construction and trains makes it worthwhile.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:

I can't see that happening, realistically. You'd have to drive a few kilometers (6km?) south of the city on #6 to meet up with the bypass, and then head east. Getting from S. Albert to Vic E. is actually not that bad, and usually only takes 10-15 minutes.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I can't see that happening, realistically. You'd have to drive a few kilometers (6km?) south of the city on #6 to meet up with the bypass, and then head east. Getting from S. Albert to Vic E. is actually not that bad, and usually only takes 10-15 minutes.
I would also be surprised if that was the case. However if it is at 4:30-5 on a weekday and your destination is east of town that option I 100% get

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
I would also be surprised if that was the case. However if it is at 4:30-5 on a weekday and your destination is east of town that option I 100% get
Yes, sorry - that's what i meant. Those times where traffic on Arcola or Vic E is bumper-to-bumper, I'll use the Bypass to skip most of it. But yeah - just heading to Costco's current location or Home Depot at a non-peak period? Ring Road.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:29 AM

The first bridge on #6 South looks like it could be open any day now. They were moving pylons today to prepare for traffic to go over the bridge. I was told April 1 was the planned day for the bridge to open. They have started to move dirt east of #6 again so things could pick up quite a bit after Easter.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
The first bridge on #6 South looks like it could be open any day now. They were moving pylons today to prepare for traffic to go over the bridge. I was told April 1 was the planned day for the bridge to open. They have started to move dirt east of #6 again so things could pick up quite a bit after Easter.
Thanks for the update! Will be great not to have the detour anymore!

The detour to Pinky Road is no longer in place and they have started putting the framing outriggers on the NB to WB ramp bridge at that overpass. Also have framing pieces for the last bridge to be built.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
I drove through it in both directions yesterday and the traffic barrels are all in place. I get the impression that it will still be a few weeks before traffic can go over the overpass, but the lines are painted and aside from the markings at either end to connect to the existing non-bypass Highway 6, it's pretty much ready to go.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I drove through it in both directions yesterday and the traffic barrels are all in place. I get the impression that it will still be a few weeks before traffic can go over the overpass, but the lines are painted and aside from the markings at either end to connect to the existing non-bypass Highway 6, it's pretty much ready to go.
Their twitter feed stated late last week that it would be open this week. Same with the Eastbound closure of the TCH for a month at Pinky to go around the last bridge structure they have to put up at that interchange.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
It’s open today. Traffic is now going over the bridge. The bridge itself hasn't been paved yet, but it will likely stay how it is until traffic can be diverted to the second bridge once it opens.

Last edited by TannerF; Apr 2, 2018 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
It’s open today. Traffic is now going over the bridge. The bridge itself hasn't been paved yet, but it will likely stay how it is until traffic can be diverted to the second bridge once it opens.
I assume it's just traffic related to the bypass construction that is using the bridge, not actual everyday traffic?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan