HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:48 PM

Hopefully, this developing postcard will lead to a more convenient and exciting Saskatoon. One step at a time!

Last edited by Ricopedra; Apr 1, 2018 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 3:41 PM

I wonder if it would make sense for them to put in the last underground parking section sooner than later, would make less of an impact on people living there when they do decide to put the last tower up. If they don't the parking could always be used for the area.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am surprised that the window panels on the condo portion are so "broken up". I thought the spans between the window frames would have been wider for more of an unobstructed view.
Although its difficult to tell from the photos, only a few full floor to ceiling panes have been installed. No doors or opening windows have been installed. These unfinished spaces are the big black gaps in the photos and give it a chunky look. I haven't actually looked, but I think the "number" of panes is the same as shown in the renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
It looks like the penthouse level/20th floor has a higher ceiling, and it covers more of the floor plate than in the original renderings. It makes sense as local bigwigs would want to live there!
I agree the photos appear to show a higher ceiling on the penthouse level, but it may just be an optical illusion. I can't remember what the renderings show. That got me thinking about the penthouse level. I think there is supposed to be a patio all around the condos, which of course will have a fantastic view, but it might make it difficult to see the river from indoors (except in the distance).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 1:57 AM

hee you go Alt there is a plan of penthouse on page 12

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:10 AM

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I wonder if it would make sense for them to put in the last underground parking section sooner than later, would make less of an impact on people living there when they do decide to put the last tower up. If they don't the parking could always be used for the area.
While it would certainly make things much easier going forward, the problem is that all of the tower loads need to be transferred down through the parkade to the foundation. Therefore, the layout of the tower core at a minimum would have to be finalized potentially years before the construction of the North Tower. Generally, the more integrated the design of the parkade and tower, the better.

As it is, the parkade currently being excavated does extend considerably beyond the footprint of the East Tower, and runs along 19th street close to what will someday be the footprint of the North Tower.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:34 PM

Thanks Crisis

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:56 PM

On Global news this morning they were showing a shot of the Idylwyld Bridge and from the angle they showed it looked like the Red Crane has been erected at the office tower site. Is that the case? Have not been by the site for some time, now.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:19 PM

Yup, it's been up for a few days.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:29 PM

^^Check out posts #1117+ by Alt_Center from March 17 on the previous page for a few good looks at it!>)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:17 AM

Mar. 26 2018 pictures

More glass and progress on parkade excavation.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:48 PM

That's a deep hole! Do they have to go down further yet, or can they start the concrete work soon?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
That's a deep hole! Do they have to go down further yet, or can they start the concrete work soon?
still have 1.5 storeys to go. i believe its 4 levels of underground. I dont think they can begin until the whole parkade is dug out.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 6:25 PM

Does is look like this condo has concrete walls dividing each condo? I live in a concrete condo and I'm fairly sure I have concrete on both ends of my condo - I never hear a single thing from neighbors because of it. I know that would be a huge extra cost - is it normal not to do it anymore?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 7:00 PM
Community Guy

^Typically you do not have concrete party walls unless for shear which would be strategically placed. Generally speaking, you will have:

1/2"gypsum-6"steel stud-6" insulation-1/2"to2"airspace and then the reverse on the other side to achieve an STC of around 55 which is typical for residential units.

http://www.iklimnet.com/hotel_design...es/expose1.gif

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 10:07 PM

Post 1131, first pic nicely shows the diff between ensuite walls and the units themselves. I lived in a condo on the 28th floor in Van for a year and never heard a neighbour, ever, through the walls.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Post 1131, first pic nicely shows the diff between ensuite walls and the units themselves. I lived in a condo on the 28th floor in Van for a year and never heard a neighbour, ever, through the walls.
Except those would be steel studs. As wood construction is not allowed for buildings over 4 Storeys (yet) in the Province of Sask.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 8:57 AM

^? Wooden studs in a Van high-rise? Do you mean the wooden bldg @UBC? Anyway back to this building. With all the glass does it have any special properties for noise reduction/ heat retention? I can't remember seeing any specifics. I'll take a look-see.

Last edited by Ricopedra; Apr 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Q

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 5:45 PM

I am hearing mid April for more concrete work at the Office Tower Parkade.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 8:04 PM

That'll be nice to what's already been done;>)

Last edited by Ricopedra; Apr 5, 2018 at 2:37 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan