HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:12 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Going through the main document it looks like they have that connection to the rail in mind. There is a diagram on page 27 which shows Denver Union station as precedent. It shows the bus terminal connecting to an LRT station.
That's awesome! I should read through that document. To think that those living in this area could hop LRT (utilizing existing rail bed, the rail cut and a corridor adjacent to Barrington St.) and get to Dal, Point Pleasant Park, Superstore, Via Rail station, downtown, Macdonald bridge, Stadacona, Irving Shipyard, and Africville all without utilizing any peninsula streets. Hook in a line from each of Bedford and Dartmouth and we'd have useful public transit.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Going through the main document it looks like they have that connection to the rail in mind. There is a diagram on page 27 which shows Denver Union station as precedent. It shows the bus terminal connecting to an LRT station.
It seems much more forward-looking than Cogswell. It is the kind of development the city should be looking at, and if this kind of planning is good for HSC then why not downtown? They have a golden opportunity right now before Cogswell is developed.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 9:57 PM

The plans are from May 2021. The world has completely changed since then, and not for the better. In January 1963 I was in Gdansk and the 'cold war' was in full swing. Crude oil was under $3 a barrel. The next 1-2 years will be very difficult. Be careful with your money. My wife tells me of the sales in stores in MicMacMall - discounts of 60 %. Businesses desperate to sell at any price because cash flow determines the death/survival of an enterprise. In No Frills at Wyse road I noticed seniors and others carefully scrutinising basic necessities. In many case the products are in smaller pakages for the same price as many months ago.
My Councillor is gung ho for an 8% tax increase !!

Last edited by Colin May; Dec 14, 2022 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
My Councillor is gung ho for an 8% tax increase !!
In Austinland there are only endless bushel baskets of taxpayer cash to spend on frivolous things. HRM refuses to accept any economic reality and can only spend, spend, spend. I understand they approved a new collective agreement for the fire department today that will enrich their 6-figure salaries considerably.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 2:01 AM

Here's a photo I took today of the progress:

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Primaris REIT Announces Acquisition of Atlantic Canada’s Premiere Shopping Centre Complex
November 20, 2023

TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Primaris Real Estate Investment Trust (“Primaris” or the “Trust”) (TSX: PMZ.UN) announced today that it has agreed to acquire Halifax Shopping Centre and the Annex in Halifax, Nova Scotia for aggregate consideration of $370.0 million, subject to certain conditions, to be satisfied by a combination of cash and equity. This high quality asset acquisition builds Primaris’ track record of successfully executing on its well defined growth strategy focused on market leading shopping centres.

“We are very pleased to add Atlantic Canada’s premiere shopping centre complex to the Primaris portfolio,” said Alex Avery, Chief Executive Officer. “This acquisition further demonstrates Primaris as an attractive buyer for Canadian pension fund vendors of market leading Canadian shopping centres, with multiple discussions continuing for further acquisitions. Primaris is uniquely positioned as a buyer, with institutional scale as the second largest owner-operator of enclosed shopping centres in Canada with proforma assets of approximately $3.9 billion, a differentiated financial model featuring a very well capitalized balance sheet, and a clear mandate for growth.”

Halifax Shopping Centre Property Highlights

Atlantic Canada’s leading regional enclosed shopping centre in the high growth market of Halifax, Nova Scotia;
Located at the gateway to the Halifax peninsula in central Halifax within the newly redesigned main mass transit node;
562,000 square foot mall located on 20.9 acres of land, for an approximate 70.0% site coverage;
$1,012 per square foot same store sales productivity and annual all store sales volume of $260.8 million as at September 30, 2023;
69.0% in-place occupancy, and 96.2% committed occupancy including executed leases commencing over the next few months as part of the Sears redevelopment including Simons, Winners, Dollarama and PetSmart;
$54.0 million Sears redevelopment substantially completed in 2023, and $70.0 million expansion, food court relocation and design upgrades throughout the centre completed in 2017;
BOMA BEST Certified;
Other large format tenants include Sport Chek and Zara;
Unique commercial retail unit (CRU) tenants to the region include Apple, Aritzia, Michael Kors, Victoria’s Secret, Browns, and Nespresso, and other notable CRU tenants include Sephora and Lululemon; and
No traditional department store.

The Annex Property Highlights

Open air centre located immediately adjacent to Halifax Shopping Centre;
Halifax Transit Mumford Bus Terminal on site, one of the city’s busiest terminals;
99.7% in-place occupancy, and 93.9% committed occupancy including the impact of Winners moving to Halifax Shopping Centre;
412,000 square foot shopping centre located on 26.7 acres of land, for an approximate 47.0% site coverage;
Site designated as a future growth node by the city, enabling phase I master planning application for approximately 1,800 residential units with mixed-use component, and future phases of approximately 5,500 residential units;
Large format tenants include Walmart, Sobeys, and Dollarama, with other notable inline and pad tenants including the NSLC, Mark’s Work Wearhouse, Shoppers Drug Mart, and the Bank of Montreal; and
Adjoining 187,000 square foot Mumford Road Office Complex with 95.4% in-place occupancy and 96.2% committed occupancy.

Halifax, Second Fastest Growing City in Canada

Halifax is experiencing significant population growth, and has been in the top-five fastest-growing Census Metropolitan Areas (CMA) in Canada for the past four consecutive years, according to Statistics Canada. In July 2023, the city recorded one-year population growth of 4.5%, the highest ever recorded for the city, and remains the second fastest growing CMA in Canada. The region is expected to grow by 18.4% by 2033, supported by attractive relative cost of living, growth in employment opportunities and significant infrastructure investments, far outpacing the national average of 13.6%, according to Environics Analytics.

Halifax has a diverse economy including wholesale and retail trade, healthcare, education, marine science, and a growing technology and innovation community of startups and scaleups. The largest employer is the Department of National Defense. The Port of Halifax welcomes approximately 1,100 commercial cargo vessels and 250,000 cruise ship passengers annually, and in 2022, the total impact of the Port of Halifax including Nova Scotia exporters on the Province of Nova Scotia was $4.9 billion in economic output with the direct portion being $3.0 billion. Halifax is home to five universities including Dalhousie University, St Mary’s University, and Mount Saint Vincent University.
https://investors.primarisreit.com/n...86yN-tf6N60i7g

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:47 PM

Drove by here on the weekend and see that exterior signage is up for Simons and PetValu. And from what I could see through the windows/entryways it looks like it should be ready to open soon.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:28 PM

Some recent photos of the progress found online:

https://twitter.com/Cove17/status/1756369341891633299

Dollarama will only be accessible from a separate entrance:

Last edited by q12; Mar 6, 2024 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Dollarama will only be accessible from a separate entrance:
Good.

I consider Dollarama an abomination in a high class mall like HSC. Best to keep it out of sight and out of mind.

They put a Dollarama in CF Champlain here in Moncton last year. unfortunately with an inside entrance, and right next to LL Bean too!!! The brightness from the ceiling mounted fluorescent lighting dazzles the eyes of unwary passers-by.

It seems like such a low brow outlier in an otherwise decent mall...........

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:45 PM

Level 2: Winners

This map shows it best with the exterior entrance for Dollarama next to the new Mall Entrance 8:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good.

I consider Dollarama an abomination in a high class mall like HSC. Best to keep it out of sight and out of mind.

They put a Dollarama in CF Champlain here in Moncton last year. unfortunately with an inside entrance, and right next to LL Bean too!!! The brightness from the ceiling mounted fluorescent lighting dazzles the eyes of unwary passers-by.

They have always been part of the Halifax Shopping Centre just in the HSC Annex across the street.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Good.

There are some folks, especially today’s economic climate, for whom stores like Dollarama are essential. I’m happy to see it included in the mall.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
There are some folks, especially today’s economic climate, for whom stores like Dollarama are essential. I’m happy to see it included in the mall.
It seems unlikely that such folks would make the upscale HSC a regular shopping destination.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It seems unlikely that such folks would make the upscale HSC a regular shopping destination.
Indeed. The general population is no doubt well served by the other 50 or so Dollarama locations elsewhere in HRM. They can be found in most seedy strip malls...................

As for the Dollarama at CF Champlain, if you position yourself correctly in the SE corner of the CF Champlain parking lot, you can see the signage for the CF Champlain store, as well as for the Dollarama in the Champlain Plaza across the street, as well as the Dollarama signage in the Atlantic Superstore Mall just across Hall's Creek in Moncton East.

Talk about blanket coverage!!!! I think there are over a dozen Dollaramas in greater Moncton.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
...if you position yourself correctly in the SE corner of the CF Champlain parking lot, you can see the signage for the CF Champlain store, as well as for the Dollarama in the Champlain Plaza across the street, as well as the Dollarama signage in the Atlantic Superstore Mall just across Hall's Creek in Moncton East.
Just as, until very recently, you could see three Tim Hortons from the Nantucket-Wyse intersection in Dartmouth.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:08 PM

Was there a dollar store in HSC before? Maybe where Lawtons is today? Or have I invented a false memory.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Was there a dollar store in HSC before? Maybe where Lawtons is today? Or have I invented a false memory.
I remember that too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Can't see why not, it's been just accross the street for years. HSC is more of an upscale mall for sure, but its not that upscale.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Can't see why not, it's been just accross the street for years. HSC is more of an upscale mall for sure, but its not that upscale.
It is very bougie these days.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
It is very bougie these days.
Somewhat

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth