HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:21 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-man View Post
they should hang one of the frieze sections in the great hall...or put one in the yankee museum
I work in the great hall of the stadium and having one around would be a safety issue. Also, these would be too large to be placed in the stadium museum. Each section of the facade weighs at least 10 tons. The sections themselves will be sold and auctioned off as one piece already sold for around $70,000. Whether all sections will be sold is yet to be seen but I'm sure one or two will be spared for public display, though probably not likely inside the new stadium.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 3:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/real_esta...ve_gate_2.html

Yankee Stadium fans pitch to save Gate 2: cheaper to save than tear down

BY Larry Mcshane
September 17th 2009

Backers of a plan to protect the old Yankee Stadium's historic Gate 2 are hoping for a dramatic save worthy of Mariano Rivera.

With the Parks Department committed to demolishing the gate, preservation proponents insisted Wednesday that rescuing the towering remnant of the Bronx ballpark was a relatively cheap and easy task.

The total cost could run about $1 million, a 10th of the estimate city officials gave for saving the slice of original Stadium architecture.

Contractors already are volunteering time for the task, and fund-raising could cover the rest, according to a press release from the Save the Yankee Gate 2 Committee.

"Preserving Gate 2 is the best way to provide the needed historical, architectural and cultural link back to the 1920s," said committee co-head Mark Costello.

Costello and company want Gate 2 incorporated as the entrance to the new Heritage Park, a 10-acre spread slated to fill the space once covered by the House That Ruth Built.

The Parks Department reiterated yesterday that it has no plans to spare Gate 2. Its proposal for Heritage Field still needs approval from the city's Design Commission.

Parks officials estimate preserving and stabilizing the gate - from creating a new structural system to restoring and rebuilding the gate - would cost $10 million.

They also say the gate was substantially altered during the 1970s renovation, although Costello insists about 80% of it is from the original construction.

Costello's group also is taking its appeal to the city's elected officials, sending out dozens of letters and planning a Monday meeting with the Bronx borough president's office.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/real_esta...ve_gate_2.html

Yankee Stadium fans pitch to save Gate 2: cheaper to save than tear down

BY Larry Mcshane
September 17th 2009

Backers of a plan to protect the old Yankee Stadium's historic Gate 2 are hoping for a dramatic save worthy of Mariano Rivera.

With the Parks Department committed to demolishing the gate, preservation proponents insisted Wednesday that rescuing the towering remnant of the Bronx ballpark was a relatively cheap and easy task.

The total cost could run about $1 million, a 10th of the estimate city officials gave for saving the slice of original Stadium architecture.

Contractors already are volunteering time for the task, and fund-raising could cover the rest, according to a press release from the Save the Yankee Gate 2 Committee.

"Preserving Gate 2 is the best way to provide the needed historical, architectural and cultural link back to the 1920s," said committee co-head Mark Costello.

Costello and company want Gate 2 incorporated as the entrance to the new Heritage Park, a 10-acre spread slated to fill the space once covered by the House That Ruth Built.

The Parks Department reiterated yesterday that it has no plans to spare Gate 2. Its proposal for Heritage Field still needs approval from the city's Design Commission.

Parks officials estimate preserving and stabilizing the gate - from creating a new structural system to restoring and rebuilding the gate - would cost $10 million.

They also say the gate was substantially altered during the 1970s renovation, although Costello insists about 80% of it is from the original construction.

Costello's group also is taking its appeal to the city's elected officials, sending out dozens of letters and planning a Monday meeting with the Bronx borough president's office.

As a Yankee fan I really don't understand how they can't keep something from the stadium. I know the city owns the building, but they have to realize how historic the place was. Keep something!! Please!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 2:16 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ve_gate_2.html

Last pitch to save Gate 2: Yankees fans battle to preserve famed portal to old stadium

BY Benjamin Peim
September 28th 2009

It's the bottom of the ninth and Yankees fans fighting to save Gate 2 of the old stadium are swinging for the fences.

The city Parks Department plans to seek preliminary approval next week for plans to commemorate the stadium at Heritage Field - the future park after the House That Ruth Built meets the wrecking ball. Gate 2 is not in the plans.

"If it gets approved, I think we're through," said John Trush, one of the fans fighting to save the gate.

The Parks Department presented its plans last May to the Design Commission, which approves all permanent works of art, architecture and landscape architecture proposed on or over city property. It granted preliminary approval, with the caveat they make revisions to better incorporate the stadium's history.

At next week's meeting, with Gate 2 crusaders making their pitch, the commission will decide the department's revised plans for the old Yankee Stadium.

A Parks spokesman said the revised design will have some of the old stadium's frieze, historical plaques and markers, and one of the baseball diamonds will follow the same alignment as the old infield.

Fans have organized over the Internet to try to save the gate, envisioned as a historical landmark and an entrance to Heritage Field for community sports use. They have met with various city officials, including from the Bronx borough president's office.

"Our chances were a million to one when we started this," said Trush, "and now it's 50-50."

City officials argue the gate would have to be stabilized and restored, which could cost $10million. They also question the gate's historical value, claiming it was significantly altered in the stadium's renovation in the 1970s.

But others disagree.

"The argument falls down when you take a look at the plans for the site," argued Bronx borough historian Lloyd Ultan. "Most of what they're saving is from the 1970s structure."

He said about 85% of the gate's structure is from the 1920s.

And the plan's backers said volunteer architects say saving the gate would cost as little as $1million.

Ultan argued that saving the gate "would serve the same function for future generations as the Roman forums serve in Rome today."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 9:14 PM
World Machine

Went to the new stadium for the first time for Saturday’s game against the Red Sox. For those who have already been you know it’s nothing short of amazing. I was very impressed and pleased with the finished product, and the fact that the BoSox lost made it even more enjoyable.

I would love if they manage to save this gate, wouldn’t really do much harm to save a standing part of this stadium that has been such a staple for the city; after all this isn’t Shea Stadium we’re talking about.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 6:21 AM

Yeah I had went to the new one back in July. It was real nice but it's going to take while to feel like home as this one did.

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/5375666...nner_Div#imgXR

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 6:57 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Demolition Update: Workers this past week began taking down the stadium's floodlights.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 11:39 PM
New Yorker for life

In my mind, the stadum's gone already.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 2:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 1:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 12:16 AM

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/5565373.php?

didnt they say reggie was buying those letters

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 4:10 AM
JACKinBeantown

Go Yankees!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:15 PM
New Yorker for life

BTW, not far from Yankeeland, the long awaited E. 153rd st bridge may have a new name when built...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...gEMI53FugB4YNN

'Jeter Bridge' is on deck for Bronx

By ANGELA MONTEFINISE
November 1, 2009

Big Apple women may soon be able to take a ride on Derek Jeter -- the bridge, that is.

Bronx leaders have proposed naming the soon-to-be-built East 153rd Street bridge for the Yankee shortstop.

"There have been conversations at the community board, and I know the idea is being examined," said Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr., a Bombers fan who confesses to a "man crush" on the Captain.

"It's something I am ready to support. We're moving on it."

The 512-foot-long "Derek Jeter Bridge" would span the Metro-North tracks that bisect East 153rd Street between Park Avenue and the Grand Concourse. It will cost $87 million.

Community Board 4 District Manager José Rodriguez confirmed that the idea was being considered.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/artcom/html/.../slide_23.html

More info
https://www.nysdot.gov/recovery/spon...pplication.pdf

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 4:41 AM

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/33067.php?

WAY TO GO YANKEES 27 TIME CHAMPIONS.

Last edited by genop; Nov 5, 2009 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 1:42 AM

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/5607097.php

oops how did that last one get in there?!?!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 4:15 AM
World Machine

Kind of sad to see the old black bleachers being torn up like that; but I think it's safe to say that the new home now indeed feels like home.

GO YANKEES!!!!! #27 and counting!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Kind of sad to see the old black bleachers being torn up like that; but I think it's safe to say that the new home now indeed feels like home.
All of that Yankee tradition just moved accross the street. Of course they won the title this year, the place had to be christened right...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 12:39 AM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 3:53 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

11/13/2009 10:21 PM
Bronx Residents Wait For Parks At Old Stadium Site
By: Dean Meminger

The Department of Buildings issued the permit to demolish the old Yankee Stadium only two weeks ago, and those who live nearby say they are still waiting for much-needed improvements for the area. Borough reporter Dean Meminger filed the following report.

More than a year since the Yankees played in their old stadium, but the "House That Ruth Built" is still standing.

"It continues to be a debacle. It was a great season for the Yankees, but unfortunately it is continuing to be a nightmare for the community and the city's tax payers," said NYC Park Advocates President Geoffrey Croft.

City officials initially said demolition of the stadium would begin in 2008 and finish this year, and then a park would be built in its place. But NY1 has learned the Department of Buildings issued a permit to tear down the stadium just two weeks ago.

Officials say the delay was partly due to a months-long squabble between the city and the team over who would profit from selling seats and other memorabilia that would be removed.

"It kind of makes me upset because that means that I still don't have my park and I am still inconvenienced," said a local.

The city's Economic Development Corporation says the demolition is now on schedule and should be completed next summer.

Then the city will build at the site Heritage Field, with ball parks to replace the ones that the new Yankee stadium built over.

Some replacement park land has already opened, including a waterfront park.

"The Mill Pond Park, the waterfront park, was two years behind schedule, and that was supposed to cost the taxpayers $12 million and not $64 million," said Croft.

Locals seem split on the replacement parks. Some like them, while others say the parks are not a home run.

While jogging on a running track in a replacement park built on top of a new stadium parking garage, Bronx-Manhattan State Senator Jose M. Serrano said people have to be patient, but the parks will be built.

"Well, I think the process has not moved as quickly as we would have liked, but progress is happening," said Serrano. "I think it is important that we elected officials and the community as a whole stay very vigilant on making sure the parks department and [Department of Transportation] do everything they said they were going to do."

City officials say Heritage Field should be completed by fall 2011, three years after the Bronx Bombers last played at the site.

Copyright © 2009 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 11:29 PM

some more pics from chopper 880
http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/5668694.php

I wonder how long until they start ripping out the dugouts.. if they havent already

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive