HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
There are also the popular Time Out Markets in several cities (including one in Montreal).

https://www.campaignlive.com/article...arkets/1579701
I don't know Montreal's but the one in Lisbon is wonderful - I couldn't get enough of it when I was there last winter.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:42 PM
菠蘿油

Montreal's is a little disappointing because of its location in the Eaton Centre. The food is great but the atmosphere feels a bit like a shopping mall food court that is trying to be a nightclub.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 10:40 AM
Reason and Freedom

Commercial Drive, Vancouver

Commercial Drive is one of the inner city neighbourhoods on Vancouver’s Eastside. Located about 5 kilometres east of downtown, Commercial Drive is an unpretentious older working class/creative/Little Italy-type neighbourhood that stretches from East Hastings to East Broadway (about 22 blocks). Here’s a bit of the neighbourhood on a nice but somewhat mellow spring day:

Video Link

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 3:40 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^ My neighbourhood strip.

I've always had a soft spot for Commercial Drive, but my wife was not a fan when she first moved into the neighbourhood. It was just a bit too eclectic and unpredictable for her. There's nothing like The Drive in East Asia, so it can be a bit in-your-face (it's got its good days and bad days) if you're coming from the orderly and conservative streets of Seoul. She's mellowed on it a bit, but still has no love for the corner of Broadway and Commercial to 12th street.

Last edited by giallo; May 8, 2023 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 3:49 PM

I remember years ago when I was a student, I had a friend who lived around that area and it had a reputation at the time for being a bit rough and having a seedy underbelly. Is it still like that or has it gentrified over the last 20+ years?

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Are you actually bragging about not knowing Time Out ? Come on dude, educate yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Out_(magazine)

So sorry I've never heard or seen Time Out magazine. No need to be rude. Also I don't recall bragging that I haven't heard of that publication.

"They are hard to avoid completely if you have an interest in cities."
Apparently this is not the case.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 4:02 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I remember years ago when I was a student, I had a friend who lived around that area and it had a reputation at the time for being a bit rough and having a seedy underbelly. Is it still like that or has it gentrified over the last 20+ years?
It's definitely a lot better, but it's still got its problems.

Grandview Park tallies the odd murder here and there, and while a nice place in the daytime, it becomes a bit of a party at night (especially in the warmer months).

Commercial Drive, south of Broadway is a bit of a disaster. That area is in serious need of redevelopment, but like most of the Woodlands area, it's extremely hard to do anything thanks to a few dozen neighbourhood activists that will fight any kind of investment/development. As of now, it's got some great little restaurants (between Broadway and 12th), but the streets are home to a very high percentage of alcoholics. I'm not sure why they've congregated to this part of the city in particular, but it's a boozy little strip.

The main strip and the side streets are fantastic though; blocks and blocks of beautifully-kept heritage homes along leafy streets.

Last edited by giallo; May 8, 2023 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
So sorry I've never heard or seen Time Out magazine. No need to be rude. Also I don't recall bragging that I haven't heard of that publication.

"They are hard to avoid completely if you have an interest in cities."
Apparently this is not the case.
I wonder if there is a generation gap at play here... before smartphones, Time Out was practically a necessity if you were visiting a large, strange city. I remember visiting NYC around the Y2K era and every newsstand sold them, you had to have one to find out the events, showtimes, etc.

But I can't remember the last time I bought a print copy. It has to have been over a decade ago.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I already commented on that issue 2 and a half years ago

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I don't know Montreal's but the one in Lisbon is wonderful - I couldn't get enough of it when I was there last winter.
The Lisbon location is fantastic, although it's kind of sad that their former main market sat unused for more than a decade and was then picked up by a multinational brand to cater to English-speaking tourists.

Can you imagine if Time Out took over Atwater or Jean Talon markets and greeted everyone in English? Man, that would not fly.

I feel like the Portuguese really sold their great cities out to tourists - even more so than other European 'hot spot' places.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 8:07 PM
Reason and Freedom

Beach Avenue, West End, Vancouver

A stroll through a part of the beach district in Downtown Vancouver’s West End neighbourhood:

Video Link

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
A stroll through a part of the beach district in Downtown Vancouver’s West End neighbourhood:

Video Link

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 2:59 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Commercial is probably Vancouver's most "complete" high street. If you live along the Drive you can really do any & all of your errands & shopping in small, local shops within a few blocks; and it's got a huge array of restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. to keep one occupied - all in pleasantly dense, attractive, human-scaled environment. This is probably in part because the Drive exists as a bit of an island: it doesn't really link up with any other retail strips and is cut off from other core neighbourhoods by industrial areas & rail yards, and is otherwise surrounded by residential areas. It's almost like it's own little town - makes for a tight-knight, centralized neighbourhood though.

It's got a slightly-above-average-by-Vancouver-standards homeless presence, but otherwise it's never struck me as being a particularly rough place either - just a bit gritty. For me, it's a comfortable place and made for a pretty seamless transition coming from the west end of Toronto.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 5:05 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Commercial is probably Vancouver's most "complete" high street. If you live along the Drive you can really do any & all of your errands & shopping in small, local shops within a few blocks; and it's got a huge array of restaurants, bars, entertainment, etc. to keep one occupied - all in pleasantly dense, attractive, human-scaled environment. This is probably in part because the Drive exists as a bit of an island: it doesn't really link up with any other retail strips and is cut off from other core neighbourhoods by industrial areas & rail yards, and is otherwise surrounded by residential areas. It's almost like it's own little town - makes for a tight-knight, centralized neighbourhood though.

It's got a slightly-above-average-by-Vancouver-standards homeless presence, but otherwise it's never struck me as being a particularly rough place either - just a bit gritty. For me, it's a comfortable place and made for a pretty seamless transition coming from the west end of Toronto.
I think I might have a bit of a slightly different focus on what makes a “complete” street. What you said is true and I just want to add that Commercial Drive is too car-centric to be that. Get rid of the road side parking first and enlarge the sidewalks. It’s ultimately a 6 lanes road with some “parklets” and is not comfortable to walk along never mind bike along.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 6:02 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I think I might have a bit of a slightly different focus on what makes a “complete” street. What you said is true and I just want to add that Commercial Drive is too car-centric to be that. Get rid of the road side parking first and enlarge the sidewalks. It’s ultimately a 6 lanes road with some “parklets” and is not comfortable to walk along never mind bike along.

I said it's a complete high street - as in, it fully serves as the commercial & social focal point of the neighbourhood. It has all of the businesses, services, and community & social spaces needed to allow to for daily life to be conducted on foot - without needing to leave the neighbourhood. Within a 5 minute walk of my apartment I've got multiple grocers, pharmacies, bakeries, butchers, liquor stores, banks, post office, weed shops, barbers, hardware stores, clothing stores, restaurants, bars, cafes, venues, community centre, parks, and so on. If Commercial doesn't fit the bill for being a fully-equipped high street, then where else in Vancouver does?

Taking away a lane of traffic to widen the sidewalks & add a bike lane would definitely be a big improvement in improving the public realm, but doesn't change the fundamental purpose of the street. Also, north of 1st Ave (which is the best part of the street) it's 2 lanes of traffic with a parking/patio lane.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
In the Spring, patio space takes over a lot of the curbside lane. In essence widening the sidewalk. And there is a large stretch of Commercial that is 4 lanes.

As far as complete, I would put Mt. Pleasant ahead of Commercial Drive, even though Mt. Pleasant emerged quite a bit later than Commercial. More nightlife options than Commercial. Mt. Pleasant is more densely populated than Commercial, so that's probly why it has surpassed it.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 6:46 PM
Reason and Freedom

Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver

Lower Lonsdale is one of the neighbourhoods within the City of North Vancouver, which is situated on the other side of the harbour from downtown Vancouver.

This video focuses mainly on Lonsdale Quay and The Shipyards, which form a part of the neighbourhood’s waterfront district. It’s pandemic era, unfortunately, but there’s still a faint pulse:

Video Link

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Montreal's is a little disappointing because of its location in the Eaton Centre. The food is great but the atmosphere feels a bit like a shopping mall food court that is trying to be a nightclub.

I just had a look at their website, reminds me a little of Eataly in Yorkville, a kind of dining and market experience. I checked out Eataly for the first time a few weeks back, such a tough place to visit on a Keto diet. So many good looking fresh pastas I've never seen before ready to take home.

[IMG]Yorkville in December, Toronto. Eataly on Bloor Street by Greg S, on Flickr[/IMG]

source: https://d1jie5o4kjowzg.cloudfront.net

Last edited by TorontoDrew; May 17, 2023 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 12:04 PM
Reason and Freedom

Denman Street, West End

A good video of Denman Street on a beautiful spring day.

Running along the outer western edge of Vancouver’s West End neighbourhood, Denman Street is the last commercial street on the downtown peninsula before the peninsula ends in Stanley Park.

It’s not quite summer but the neighbourhood’s quintessential West Coast, international vibe comes through here:

Video Link

Last edited by Prometheus; May 29, 2023 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 4:03 PM

Nutana is Saskatoon's best neighbourhood:

- The city's best neighbourhood high street (Broadway Ave) with shopping, restaurants, bars, music venues
- Proximity to the river (parks, trails, summer days on the sandbars)
- Proximity to Downtown (a walk across the bridges on a summer night to a DT pub or festival A+)
- A true mix of housing from turn of the century mansions to apartments and condos
- Majestic elm tree canopies
- Walkable/bikeable

Other strong contenders:

- Riversdale, west of Downtown, is still rough around the edges and with an edgier and possibly more interesting character than polished Nutana. Very good restaurants and other attractions around 20th St, which may have more long-term potential than Broadway as a longer street. Proximity to the river, Victoria Park, River Landing, Downtown.
- Caswell Hill, also with some rough spots, but with a great park, tree-lined centre boulevards, and beautiful homes on rare hillside topography. 33rd St is the dog-eared main street but not without its charms and future potential.
- City Park with perfect narrow streets of character homes laid out along the river, great coffee, the river, weir, and train bridge, Kinsmen Park, and Downtown next door.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Nutana is Saskatoon's best neighbourhood:

- The city's best neighbourhood high street (Broadway Ave) with shopping, restaurants, bars, music venues
- Proximity to the river (parks, trails, summer days on the sandbars)
- Proximity to Downtown (a walk across the bridges on a summer night to a DT pub or festival A+)
- A true mix of housing from turn of the century mansions to apartments and condos
- Majestic elm tree canopies
- Walkable/bikeable

Other strong contenders:

- Riversdale, west of Downtown, is still rough around the edges and with an edgier and possibly more interesting character than polished Nutana. Very good restaurants and other attractions around 20th St, which may have more long-term potential than Broadway as a longer street. Proximity to the river, Victoria Park, River Landing, Downtown.
- Caswell Hill, also with some rough spots, but with a great park, tree-lined centre boulevards, and beautiful homes on rare hillside topography. 33rd St is the dog-eared main street but not without its charms and future potential.
- City Park with perfect narrow streets of character homes laid out along the river, great coffee, the river, weir, and train bridge, Kinsmen Park, and Downtown next door.
Nutana is absolutely the best neighbourhood in Saskatchewan. The high street is so strong that a lot of folks refer to the neighbourhood as Broadway.

Cathedral is the closest equivalent in Regina, just not nearly the scale of Nutana.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada