HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 5:24 PM

BC Covid-19 thread

In light of the evolving situation, and the tendency of the largest cities to become the focus of attention and discussion, I thought that there would be value in having a dedicated COVID-19 thread for Kelowna.

For myself, my employer has sent most staff who can work remotely home for the next 3 weeks, so I'm now officially a shut-in. I feel fortunate to have this flexibility in my role and appreciate that my employer has initiated this unprecedented pilot project.

I've let my apartment building managers know that I would be happy to help seniors in the building with groceries should the need arise. It definitely feels like a time we all need to pull together.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 18, 2020 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 6:23 PM

I saw that someone on a WS flight from Vancouver to Kelowna tested positive.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 11:01 PM

Maybe this should be for the rest of B.C. outside of the Lower Mainland?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Maybe this should be for the rest of B.C. outside of the Lower Mainland?
Good idea. I wonder if a mod can be of assistance to rename and sticky the thread?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Good idea. I wonder if a mod can be of assistance to rename and sticky the thread?
Done
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I saw that someone on a WS flight from Vancouver to Kelowna tested positive.
You mean WJ as in Westjet?

Here in Victoria, a buddy and I wanted to get a bite to eat last night but we couldn't find a restaurant seat in the city, it's all just take-out and delivery now

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 7:31 PM
BANNED

BC's covid statistics can be found here: https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded

As of today 99.9996% of British Columbians don't have covid, or 0.0004018% do have it

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 5:50 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

The media lies to us. I don't trust the things I hear.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
BC's covid statistics can be found here: https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded

As of today 99.9996% of British Columbians don't have covid, or 0.0004018% do have it
it is looking like 1% of BC has had COVID (number is likely higher). Another 1% or so has had the Vaccine. Still a long way to go.

The critical number driving all of this ICU beds in hospitals. We need to ensure capacity exists in the province to handle anyone who needs attention. That means keeping the number of active covid patients needing an ICU as low as possible.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
it is looking like 1% of BC has had COVID (number is likely higher). Another 1% or so has had the Vaccine. Still a long way to go.

The critical number driving all of this ICU beds in hospitals. We need to ensure capacity exists in the province to handle anyone who needs attention. That means keeping the number of active covid patients needing an ICU as low as possible.
Yup, and the predictions by epidemiologists that the medical system would be overwhelmed were not only wrong, they were wrong by many orders of magnitude. We not only flattened the curve back in April, we annihilated it (for a while here on the island we didn't have a single case of covid) but the government only barely turned down the hysteria. Covid has barely made a dent in the number of hospital beds, right now there are 248 people hospitalized in BC with covid which is insignificant to say the least but the government is reacting to this like it's the bubonic plague. 64 of those 248 people are in critical care and when you consider that this disease is really only dangerous to the very ill and very elderly, almost all of those people would be in hospital anyway. As far as your claim that 1% of BCer's have had covid, that's wrong. 82,473 people have had it out of a population of ~5 million that's 0.0164 of the population which means that 99.99% of BCer's have never had it. The problem is that, once government got on the hysteria/panic train, they've had a very hard time getting off it in spite of all the facts. Anyone that understands bureaucracy won't be surprised though, governments don't adjust well to change even glaringly obvious change.

Once again, have a look at the numbers:
https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
The media lies to us. I don't trust the things I hear.
We're not being lied to but what's happened is, the media's only reporting the stories that play into the fear/hysteria/panic narrative because they're in the business of selling fear, the more people are scared the more they'll tune into the news so it's a smart business move. The thing that pisses me off is that the government is too lazy/stupid to separate the wheat from the chaff by only providing us with the number of deaths and new cases in each health region which tells us almost nothing about how dangerous covid really is to the average British Columbian (not even slightly dangerous). Nor do they tell us what percentage of British Columbians have it. They also neglect to tell us the demographics of the victims-all vital information because it makes a pretty big difference knowing that the average covid victim is ~85 years old instead of 25. In other words, the government doesn't provide the public with a comprehensive view of what's going on thus it's hard to gauge what danger we're all in by failing to provide any context/perspective. I've also contacted the BCCDC to find out how covid compares to other diseases like the flu but they didn't have that info so it's hard to compare it to other virae.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 5, 2021 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:26 PM
Project manger

TIME TO REMOVE THIS. We dont have one for SARS.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
TIME TO REMOVE THIS. We dont have one for SARS.
Well, one of the market survey companies was doing a COVID survey just yesterday. Honest.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 7:54 PM
Project manger

So that means we should keep this thread on here because of a survey, where the last post was over 2 years ago?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia