HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:05 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Cool, so what’s Garfield House?lol
Dude! I think we had nearly 2 pages of discussion on this in the last week and it's request for a zoned height increase. How did you miss it??

Proposed 285' footer at the SE corner of Garfield and 6th St. on the current Growhouse lot. It's the one the developer just offered the city a $100,000 donation towards workforce housing in return for approving the additional height. Renderings: https://imgur.com/gallery/XYdfAI8?nc=1

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:35 AM

I didn't know what it was, either.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:42 AM

I was actually more confused about Jefferson Place. Is that including the Barrister project or just the Jefferson Place building?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Dude! I think we had nearly 2 pages of discussion on this in the last week and it's request for a zoned height increase. How did you miss it??

Proposed 285' footer at the SE corner of Garfield and 6th St. on the current Growhouse lot. It's the one the developer just offered the city a $100,000 donation towards workforce housing in return for approving the additional height. Renderings: https://imgur.com/gallery/XYdfAI8?nc=1
Nice, didn’t know the name of that one

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
I was actually more confused about Jefferson Place. Is that including the Barrister project or just the Jefferson Place building?
I would like to know this as well. Maybe we can get another paragraph telling us we should already know.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 2:19 PM

The renderings on the barrister thread have the barrister building incorporated into the Jefferson place

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
The renderings on the barrister thread have the barrister building incorporated into the Jefferson place
I'm fully aware of that. We've been following that project for years.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:21 PM

Oh I see just want if it's one or the other I misunderstood

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:50 PM

I'm sure the plans have changed again. So i'm anxious to see new renderings as well.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Oh I see just want if it's one or the other I misunderstood
My apologies - I didn't mean to sound bitchy in my response.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
My apologies - I didn't mean to sound bitchy in my response.
No need to apologise I just misunderstood your reply that's all enjoy your weekend

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:29 PM

16 Things To Look Forward To This Fall In Downtown Phoenix

Pretty cool article on DTPHX with some updated renderings, ground-breaking dates, and dining-related items.

In regards to Monroe Street update below and the Subway permanently closing, can't wait to see what goes in there. It was such a prime location to be wasted on a Subway lol

Highlights -
Quote:
Downtown Dine Out
As the weather cools off, head to Monroe Street near Cornish Pasty and Seamus McCaffrey’s to dine outside. Starting on Friday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m., you can bring your favorite takeout to the temporary activation. Downtown Dine Out is also open on Saturday evening, Oct. 10, as well as Oct. 16 and 17 and Oct. 23 and 24.

Blanco Tacos & Tequila Rendering

The Edith

A small surface parking at the corner of Central Avenue and Adams Street (next to Hanny’s restaurant) will be transformed into a luxury hotel and office tower called The Edith. Slated to break ground this fall, The Edith adds 218 hotel keys and 20,000 square feet of office space to the Downtown Core.

https://dtphx.org/2020/10/06/fall-th...ntown-phoenix/

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 7:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Pretty cool article on DTPHX with some updated renderings, ground-breaking dates, and dining-related items.

In regards to Monroe Street update below and the Subway permanently closing, can't wait to see what goes in there. It was such a prime location to be wasted on a Subway lol

Highlights -

https://dtphx.org/2020/10/06/fall-th...ntown-phoenix/
That section between Renaissance and Edith is going to look great!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:05 PM

I haven’t been able to spend time in Downtown Phoenix yet, but seeing these renderings it makes me wonder if there are any pedestrian only streets? Even if it is just a small section I think it would be very cool for the area. Seems like somewhere close to Roosevelt close to the arts and restaurants would be very popular. In such a car centric city it probably isn’t popular tho.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:05 PM

Great to know that the Edith will be breaking ground this quarter.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
I haven’t been able to spend time in Downtown Phoenix yet, but seeing these renderings it makes me wonder if there are any pedestrian only streets? Even if it is just a small section I think it would be very cool for the area. Seems like somewhere close to Roosevelt close to the arts and restaurants would be very popular. In such a car centric city it probably isn’t popular tho.
Not yet, but there are a couple things in the works:
  • A light rail 'hub' is under construction, and once complete Central Ave. between Washington and Jefferson will be transit/pedestrian only
  • Although not a 'street' per se, the developments west of Central between Van Buren and Fillmore are being built around a 'paseo' for pedestrians that should provide some nice pedestrian routes.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:30 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
There was a proposal by Councilman Nowakowski to make this happen on Adams Street a few years ago. It did not move forward, and I think that was for the best. As said above, the block of Central between Washington and Jefferson will be limited to pedestrians, trains, and buses in the future. I think that will be okay because the transit hub will generate significant foot traffic in the area.

If you have a chance, I suggest reading Jeff Speck's "Walkable City." The author is a strenuous advocate of pedestrian-oriented cities, but he argues that most pedestrian malls have been failures that have overcompensated for years of car-centric planning by going too far in the other direction. The result has been numerous pedestrian malls that have choked all business activity and have been resuscitated only when they were reopened to traffic on a limited basis.

There are a few success stories like 16th Street in Denver, but there are many more failures. For that reason, this is an area where cities should proceed with caution, narrowing streets and adding bike lanes, but not closing them to cars completely unless they already have a great deal of pedestrian activity at all times, not just during special events.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Not yet, but there are a couple things in the works:
  • A light rail 'hub' is under construction, and once complete Central Ave. between Washington and Jefferson will be transit/pedestrian only
  • Although not a 'street' per se, the developments west of Central between Van Buren and Fillmore are being built around a 'paseo' for pedestrians that should provide some nice pedestrian routes.
In addition, the Adam Street Activation Study actually recommended that it be built in such a way that it can quickly be closed-off for activities/street festivals and not be a permanent pedestrian mall. I think we've seen these designs and recommendations be incorporated into the redevelopments by Hyatt, Renaissance, etc. Before Rona, I've seen Adams closed due to the Renaissance Hotel hosting events on the street, think dining tables, games, and buffets.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:11 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
In addition, the Adam Street Activation Study actually recommended that it be built in such a way that it can quickly be closed-off for activities/street festivals and not be a permanent pedestrian mall. I think we've seen these designs and recommendations be incorporated into the redevelopments by Hyatt, Renaissance, etc. Before Rona, I've seen Adams closed due to the Renaissance Hotel hosting events on the street, think dining tables, games, and buffets.
Thanks for adding that detail. That was a better outcome for Adams Street. I just wish the Renaissance Hotel renovation had added more shade to the street instead of those pointless metal slats overhead.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There was a proposal by Councilman Nowakowski to make this happen on Adams Street a few years ago. It did not move forward, and I think that was for the best. As said above, the block of Central between Washington and Jefferson will be limited to pedestrians, trains, and buses in the future. I think that will be okay because the transit hub will generate significant foot traffic in the area.

If you have a chance, I suggest reading Jeff Speck's "Walkable City." The author is a strenuous advocate of pedestrian-oriented cities, but he argues that most pedestrian malls have been failures that have overcompensated for years of car-centric planning by going too far in the other direction. The result has been numerous pedestrian malls that have choked all business activity and have been resuscitated only when they were reopened to traffic on a limited basis.

There are a few success stories like 16th Street in Denver, but there are many more failures. For that reason, this is an area where cities should proceed with caution, narrowing streets and adding bike lanes, but not closing them to cars completely unless they already have a great deal of pedestrian activity at all times, not just during special events.
You hit it right on the head, Exit. It seems counterintuitive that pedestrian malls should fail when a current lesson of resurrecting downtown involves improving walkability. I noticed that the thriving pedestrians malls I’ve been to are all bookended with destinations. 16th St in Denver draws you to Union Station or City Hall in the opposite direction. The ped mall in South Beach draws you right to the coast. Adams is bookended by the CC and Symphony Hall but I doubt this is enough to create year-round foot traffic, especially with ‘Rona.

Unfortunately, your typical American downtown (outside of New York, Chicago, etc) just doesn’t have ability to be sustained solely on transit/foot traffic. Now it doesn’t mean we should go to the other extreme and shaft the pedestrian and cater only to drivers as that entails its own negative consequences. It’s a balance for sure.

I‘m not too worried about the closing of Central between Washington and Jefferson though. It reminds me of the main plaza in Zagreb that is closed to all traffic but is criss-crossed by the city’s trolleys. It’s a fun place to watch people transfer between lines, run into nearby cafes, or just hang out. Maybe this could be our ‘Plaza’ people refer to as a meeting point.

I’m actually reading ‘Walkable Cities’ right now, spot on with the recommendation!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest