HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:23 PM

Went for a short walk downtown today, I figure any news is good news:

Hance Park revamp is well underway with much of the west end closed off and construction vehicles actively working. This is for the playground, though I’m not sure if they’ll be working on other improvements for the park master plan.

Link Phase 2 is working on the 4th floor

A new bike repair shop opened next to the new tattoo place in the Carly’s building.

Tons of workers on the roof of the bar next to Matt’s Big Breakfast.

The Berger/Sunbelt Holding Project (now the ‘Edith’) at Central/Adams is headed to DRC soon, they are really pushing for construction on this one and soon.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Went for a short walk downtown today, I figure any news is good news:

Hance Park revamp is well underway with much of the west end closed off and construction vehicles actively working. This is for the playground, though I’m not sure if they’ll be working on other improvements for the park master plan.

Link Phase 2 is working on the 4th floor

A new bike repair shop opened next to the new tattoo place in the Carly’s building.

Tons of workers on the roof of the bar next to Matt’s Big Breakfast.

The Berger/Sunbelt Holding Project (now the ‘Edith’) at Central/Adams is headed to DRC soon, they are really pushing for construction on this one and soon.
Thanks for update and excellent news on "The Edith". Did we ever get a final height and rendering for the project?? Last rendering differed greatly from the initial proposal and sounded like it would go through some additional changes??

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:40 PM

The bike shop is the guys who owned Slippery Pig, they were locked out of their location at montecito and 7th Avenue a couple of months ago and this new shop will be repairs only, no sales. I would say it's a highly unintelligent choice to open given their rent costs and proximity to a full service and established bike shop but I wish them well.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Thanks for update and excellent news on "The Edith". Did we ever get a final height and rendering for the project?? Last rendering differed greatly from the initial proposal and sounded like it would go through some additional changes??
I’ve seen a few renderings of street perspectives and site plans but nothing that shows the whole building. The site plan I have from March 24th indicates it’ll be 17 floors, 231 feet.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
I’ve seen a few renderings of street perspectives and site plans but nothing that shows the whole building. The site plan I have from March 24th indicates it’ll be 17 floors, 231 feet.
Would you be able to share the latest site plans or post screenshots of them?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Would you be able to share the latest site plans or post screenshots of them?
Sure! I can post them later, they’re a bit small but I’ll make the best of it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 12:33 AM

I never did hear what is going on on the south side of the convention center, where they have been working for months???

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I never did hear what is going on on the south side of the convention center, where they have been working for months???
Light rail work and permanent underground shoring wall

Quote:
Sure! I can post them later, they’re a bit small but I’ll make the best of it.
Awesome thanks!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks!
ASU Diablo, here's a few of the site plans. Nothing spectacular, but it shows how the structure will address the corner.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
ASU Diablo, here's a few of the site plans. Nothing spectacular, but it shows how the structure will address the corner.

For sure looks better than the last rendering but still not as nice as the OG

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 9:59 PM
Modulator

Some minor updates since I have not been downtown in a week.

1. ECO Phx finally has a trailer and some trucks onsite. Looks like work is about to commence on it.
2. Both AC Hotel and Wexford are topped out.
3. Link 2 is flying. Elevator core is already up to 6th floor with 3 floors completed.
4. X has completed 11 floors with elevator core up to the 13th floor. Starting to look big when walking down Van Buren.
5. Derby is also flying along. The Angels mural is starting to become completely blocked. This is the only part I hate about Derby. I've always liked the mural regardless of how I feel about the business, c'est la vie.
6. Aspire is about to go above ground level.
7. ASU is on 4th floor.
8. Adeline is on the 5th floor.
9. Minor work going on for O'Neil/Fore residential. Only 1 bulldozer was onsite when I walked by. Hopefully it ramps up the pace.
10. The Fillmore is starting to rise above ground.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 11:42 PM
self-important urbanista

Interesting post from CityLab about the value of balconies during the pandemic. Thankfully, we don’t have the type of strict lockdown implemented in Italy, Spain, and France where bicycling is banned and walking is limited to a short distance from one’s home at certain times of day. If ever that did happen here or if I were high-risk enough to not want to go out at all, having a balcony would be essential to retaining my sanity.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2020/04...g-laws/610162/

In terms of how this relates to the thread, I remember a while back someone posted that Kenect has no balconies. I wonder if tenants are going to be more reluctant to rent without that amenity in light of the current situation.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Interesting post from CityLab about the value of balconies during the pandemic. Thankfully, we don’t have the type of strict lockdown implemented in Italy, Spain, and France where bicycling is banned and walking is limited to a short distance from one’s home at certain times of day. If ever that did happen here or if I were high-risk enough to not want to go out at all, having a balcony would be essential to retaining my sanity.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2020/04...g-laws/610162/

In terms of how this relates to the thread, I remember a while back someone posted that Kenect has no balconies. I wonder if tenants are going to be more reluctant to rent without that amenity in light of the current situation.
Yup, I posted about Kenect not having balconies. Fortunately pre-leasing doesn't begin until around July and Kenect is still a good 6 months out from opening. So I'm not sure it will be a big issue by then. At least I hope not.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Apr 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:28 PM

You're over thinking this. If someone can't afford a balcony they get a place without.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Some minor updates since I have not been downtown in a week.

1. ECO Phx finally has a trailer and some trucks onsite. Looks like work is about to commence on it.
2. Both AC Hotel and Wexford are topped out.
3. Link 2 is flying. Elevator core is already up to 6th floor with 3 floors completed.
4. X has completed 11 floors with elevator core up to the 13th floor. Starting to look big when walking down Van Buren.
5. Derby is also flying along. The Angels mural is starting to become completely blocked. This is the only part I hate about Derby. I've always liked the mural regardless of how I feel about the business, c'est la vie.
6. Aspire is about to go above ground level.
7. ASU is on 4th floor.
8. Adeline is on the 5th floor.
9. Minor work going on for O'Neil/Fore residential. Only 1 bulldozer was onsite when I walked by. Hopefully it ramps up the pace.
10. The Fillmore is starting to rise above ground.
Nice update Ronnie! And good news about ECO PHX. This is one I really wanted to see get going and then hopefully once McKinley Court wraps up, Residences on 2nd can get started.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You're over thinking this. If someone can't afford a balcony they get a place without.
He wasn't discussing the affordability of a balcony. He was commenting on if people would want a place without a balcony at a time when no one can go outside due to covid-19.

Also, strange this topic came up at this moment. Here is an article article about getting people back downtown once this is over and Kenect is specifically mentioned as a watching point whether people will start signing leases this summer with an epidemic on our hands.

https://www.bisnow.com/phoenix/news/...ix-back-103975

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 4:19 PM
Modulator

Haven't been checking permits much lately, but got around to checking a few projects today. These may be something, may be nothing.

Permit was submitted to Phoenix for a fire hydrant flow test for the proposed Central Park development on the 14th. These are usually submitted not long before construction starts to ensure they have enough water pressure during construction. No other permits were submitted though. So only taking this with a grain of salt.

Central Station submitted a civil place holder and inventory permit on the 4th. Also taking this with a grain of salt as no other permits have been submitted. However, glad to at least see some permitting going on though during this epidemic. Gives me some hope that not all is lost just yet

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Apr 21, 2020 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Or they make other tradeoffs like choosing an older building, leasing a smaller place, or settling for a less conveniently located apartment in order to be able to afford a balcony. As result, I’m not overthinking at all but instead suggesting that a balcony might become a more valuable amenity that affects the appeal of an apartment more now than ever before.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
He wasn't discussing the affordability of a balcony. He was commenting on if people would want a place without a balcony at a time when no one can go outside due to covid-19.
Yes, I read his comment and yours. I am competent to read the English language.

If someone wants to live downtown in a high rise and balcony buildings are out of their price point the'll make do. It's no different than a garage, pool, soaking tub or any other feature. If you can't afford it you don't get it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 6:08 PM

Biggus is correct. Everyone can't have everything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest