HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 4:56 PM
Kevin Folds Five

^ yep, it's 2010. If we could have skylights in 1970, there is no excuse we cannot now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 7:58 PM

Unbelivably disapponting. It's just one building, yes. But it was a significant building for its time and was one that provided a sense of occasion that I remember even as a little kid visiting the university with my older siblings. The fact that this is how we treat our more architecturally significant buildings in this region remains a sign of just how univiting the region is in general to bold and creative things.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 9:56 PM

Shame on the U of A.

HUB is one of Edmonton's defining structures, and is truly an experience.

Now one less (HUGE) reason to share defining architecture in Edmonton with anyone.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 11:01 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Just dusted off ye old sketchup and came up with some ideas.. from a crap armchair architect like myself.. goes to show this building could shine if given the proper attention.. it's an Edmonton institution!!!

(obviously not to scale, or to exact dimensions/current form )

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 11:04 PM
Community Guy

^NO NO NO... too much imagination and natural light. If you want to see the stars, go outside.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 11:14 PM
Kevin Folds Five

=/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 5:25 AM
serial audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
"There will still be significant natural light and $6.5M is still a significant sum to spend on a roof replacement."

You sound like the 'meh its good enough' in the opinion today! Significant natural light or total natural light? I am sure for a similar $ figure or not much more you would have been able to do all glass.

Classy!

I was just pointing out that there will still be natural light as the last few posts prior to mine seemed to be lamenting the complete loss of this feature. I'm not expressing support for or judging the architectural merit of the selected design. I didn't even know what it was going to look like until today.

What was the last major skylight built in the city?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 2:47 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ City Hall?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 3:41 PM

Phase 3 WEM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 4:04 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Didnt the muttart just replace all the glass. If not, City Hall has to be last major building built with a sizable glass roof.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
Didnt the muttart just replace all the glass. If not, City Hall has to be last major building built with a sizable glass roof.
City hall had glass replacement Mutart I believe had seals replaced.It didn't have full glass replacement.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^NO NO NO... too much imagination and natural light. If you want to see the stars, go outside.
Are we angry because the University isn't respecting the architectural significance of Hub? In which case the only acceptable solution should be to replace the skylight with a new one that has the same appearance.

Or are we okay with the university not preserving Hub, just as long as they do something cool to it?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 8:33 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
Are we angry because the University isn't respecting the architectural significance of Hub? In which case the only acceptable solution should be to replace the skylight with a new one that has the same appearance.

Or are we okay with the university not preserving Hub, just as long as they do something cool to it?
I am unhappy with the reno because they are principally the essence of the original design.

The current design is not "cool" it is awesome.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 9:16 PM

Okay, but then Kevin's design (which probably should be facing east ), and the Barry Johns' one don't really solve things either. They might look cooler from the outside, but from the inside it's still just a bigger clerestory or sawtooth. Bye bye sky, either way.

Did anyone notice this in the cdnarch article:

Quote:

the original HUB (note the configuration of the original skylights).
Was that really how Hub was built? And in one of the previous skylight replacements they went from the complicated East/West (no sky) clerestory shown in the model, to the what we have today?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Doesn't hub point north/south? :/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 11:24 PM

^ I just mean that the model makes it look like originally there was a metal deck roof with windows that faced basically east/west (and a little bit south), rather than actual skylights.

Which were then replaced with "clear double dome acrylic skylights"?

Which were then replaced with what we have today?

All of that is completely news to me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 1:33 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Crane operator has clear vision of U of A's future

Richard Warnica
Edmonton Journal

Friday, February 12, 2010

Tower Crane Three operates from the centre. It swivels from job to job between the other cranes, lifting and lowering loads.

With a boom that stretches 55 metres, Tower Crane Three can lift 12,000 kilograms. It stands 65 metres high and can work in winds up to 70 kilometres an hour.

On most weekdays and many Saturdays, Tower Crane Three is occupied by Robin Knaus, a 37-year-old Edmonton native who lives in Leduc with his wife and two children.

Knaus has operated cranes for PCL Construction for 10 years. In that time he has helped build many of the newer buildings at the University of Alberta...

rwarnica@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

Copyright © 2010 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...a4733&sponsor=

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 1:43 PM

U of A reels from $20M surprise cut
Staff layoffs likely as university copes with existing $59M deficit, provost says

Elise Stolte
Edmonton Journal

Thursday, February 18, 2010

An additional $20-million drop in funding for the University of Alberta will likely mean staff layoffs and fewer students on campus next year, says the provost.

The institution has been trying to balance a $59-million projected defi-cit since last fall, proposing $550 per student fees and unpaid holidays for staff. But administrators were handed an unexpected additional $20-million shortfall when the province cut funding targeted at new and growing programs in last week's budget...

estolte@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

Copyright © 2010 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...60fb1&sponsor=

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 1:42 PM

U of A president pleased with $1.9 billion commitment to research

Florence Loyie
Edmonton Journal

Friday, March 05, 2010

University of Alberta president Indira Samarasekera says the federal budget's commitment of $1.9 billion to post-secondary education shows the government recognizes research and innovation are crucial to economic growth.

"What this budget is signalling is that economic growth will come through industries of the future, and industries of the future depend on innovation and investment in (research and development) and people. Those three items are linked directly to post-secondary education so I see that has being crucial," Samarasekera said Thursday...

floyie@thejournal.canwest.com
© Edmonton Journal 2010

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...a32ea&sponsor=

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 1:14 AM

New 87 Ave Pedway

It appears that work will be starting soon on a wide pedway across 87 Ave connecting Education South and HMRC.

I spotted this on Friday and took pics today. This gap will be spanned (all pics by me):

Markings that give it away:

More markings. The bridge looks like it might be 30' wide:

Signage is up:

Front of HMRC:

Here's an example of foresight: HMRC was originally designed for an 87 Ave pedway, but nothing has happened for 22 years. Looking north from the 2nd floor (that office behind the door will be history soon):

After shooting these photos, I found this RFP:
http://www.dgmarket.com/tenders/np-notice.do~4872629
I see that there are plans for another pedway over 114 St. as well as the 87 Ave pedway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton