HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think Kia is going to explode in the future, in a good way.

What they did with the Stinger GT was great. A lot of potential.

I think one day, Kia might go from the run of a mill brand, a cheap econobox brand, to something much more.

I'd keep an eye on them, a lot of potential of the current models are anything to go by.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 6:28 PM
BANNED

I was thinking about Volvo yesterday. they're already taking $1000 deposits for their new ev.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 9:56 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Can someone explain the draw to Subaru? They sell a ton. Styling is ok, I just don’t know much about them..

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 10:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ They are the "Patagonia" and "North Face" of cars especially if you live in more granola crunching colder climates. They are everywhere in New England and Colorado and I was going to trade in my Civic for an Outback had I stayed in New Hampshire several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think Kia is going to explode in the future, in a good way.

What they did with the Stinger GT was great. A lot of potential.

I think one day, Kia might go from the run of a mill brand, a cheap econobox brand, to something much more.

I'd keep an eye on them, a lot of potential of the current models are anything to go by.
Kia Optima's are sharp looking cars and wouldn't mind one at all. Better looking than most of the premium brands actually.

Stingers are really nice and very quick and a huge bang for the buck.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 11:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

Yeah they are quite nice. I think the Stinger GT (GT1/GT2) and the new GR Supra are very good for the price range.

Another value is the Q50 Red Sport.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 11:22 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ They are the "Patagonia" and "North Face" of cars especially if you live in more granola crunching colder climates. They are everywhere in New England and Colorado and I was going to trade in my Civic for an Outback had I stayed in New Hampshire several years.
Yeah there are lots here in California also and I know they have that reputation. Just wasn’t sure if there was more to it..

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
/\ My mother had the same problem with her 2007 Volkswagen. Any time we get a car that's not from an Asian manufacturer, it ends up being a piece of shit (Chevy Malibu, Volkswagen New Beetle, I guess Renault counts but that was a corporate car), and we're not a family that buys or leases new cars every few years...
Decades ago my mom had a Volkswagen and it was a total lemon. This was in the late 1970s. My parents bought their first Toyota in 1981 and they've been with that brand ever since.

And aren't Porsches and Audis really just expensive Volkswagens? They are pieces of shit too. I had a co-worker who had a Porsche and even though he bought it new, it was constantly in the shop. And the Audi owners I knew had issues with them as well; one of them ended up getting rid of it after a few years and he got an Acura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That's because they're really BMWs. After 3 years, most German cars start to develop issues. In the first 3 years, they're awesome though.
Yeah, BMWs are expensive to maintain and are not reliable at all. The same goes for Mercedes. I heard good things about the older ones (pre-1990s), but a friend of mine some years ago got a new Mercedes and within 6 months, it was in the shop because the driver's power adjustable seat needed to be repaired.

It's funny, because even though I drove a MINI and I knew it's owned by BMW, I still didn't consider it to be a German car, I guess because I knew of its British heritage. The window sticker even said that it was manufactured in Oxford, England. But I guess basically a MINI is a lower-end BMW but with very BMW problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Speaking of EVs and Mini Coopers, there is going to be a new electric Mini Cooper so that'll be cool to see. Honda also made a similar car called the E but unfortunately it won't be sold in the US bc Americans hate small cars. Such a shame because this would be a fun little city car to zip around in.
I read about that Honda E last year or the year before, and yeah, it's a shame they aren't gonna bring it to the US. They should at least bring them to California. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, BMW i3s seem to be very popular, so I would think that the Honda E would catch on here too.

Quote:
German cars if taken care of will not cause issues after 3 years. Problem is, folks like Bill and his wife Marianne don't do preventative maintenance, and so... if you let the noises one hears in the cars become louder, than... than... German cars become really expensive to fix.

Treat the German car with respect, and it will treat you right.
See my replies above.

Thinking about it now, when my MINI was new, the second year I had it, it had ignition coil problems. It was fixed under warranty, but then after the warranty expired, I had 2 more ignition coil problems. And then I had 2 or 3 leaking water pumps. The last straw was when oil somehow started leaking into a cylinder, and I was told that the engine head would need to be reshaped or redone, and it also needed other repairs, all totaling over $8,000. I said oh HELLZ no and got rid of the car.

And like I said before, it wasn't like I wasn't maintaining the car. I was doing everything I was supposed to... regular oil changes with the required full synthetic oil, regular brake flushes (the only car I ever had that required a brake flush ever 2 years!)... and still the car crapped out on me. Oh, and by the 3rd of 4th year I had it, it became a big oil burner. That was probably when the oil started leaking into the cylinder, and then the problem just grew from there. Apart from me having to put a quart or oil in it every 1000 mies (!), it never leaked oil onto the ground.

And just little things that you wouldn't expect to go wrong with a car, went wrong with it. The quality of the hardware seemed really cheap, too; the vanity mirror covers had hinges that broke, the windshield washer hoses had to be replaced because they cracked... it was just a frustrating piece of shit. While I had it, two different co-workers asked me about it because they were thinking of getting one. I told them about the problems and that they shouldn't get one; I said "It's fun to drive, WHEN IT'S WORKING, handles really well, it's distinctive-looking, but do yourself a favor and DON'T GET ONE."

I've had Hondas and a Subaru before, and they never gave me any of the problems I had with the MINI. And I tend to hang on to cars long; the MINI I had from 2012-2019---about 7.5 years. My first Honda I had for 9 years; my 2nd Honda I had for 10 years. My Subie---hehe, I only had for 2 years... it was an impulse buy when I got it, and I grew sick of it really fast, I guess.

I drive a Toyota now, which I got new last December, and I am LOVING it.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:

At least that interior is trippy and had some thought put into it. Unlike Tesla', which suck.
When my brother-in-law let me drive his Tesla Model 3, I actually liked the interior. Very minimalist dashboard, which weirded me out at first, but I also found it very functional and non-distracting... you get used to it, and it's actually quite pleasing to the eye. But it's all subjective of course.

But it was definitely fun to drive. Handled really well, and accelerates really quickly! I liked the regenerative braking, too; in fact I don't even think I really needed to step on the brake much when I was in regular traffic; it slows on its own when you take your foot off the accelerator, and it eventually stops. And you actually have to nudge the pedal to make it creep. It was the first and so far the only time that I drove an EV.

And I used to think that EVs would be boring to drive. All my previous cars were stickshifts; I thought I would never drive an automatic... but my current car is an automatic. It actually took me about a week to get used to after I first bought it, but I'm used to it now. Anyway, somehow the Tesla was fun to drive, even though you're not upshifting/downshifting/using your left foot. I think because in a Tesla, you still feel you have full control of the car---I was taking my foot off the pedal and learning how fast it slows down---and as I did that, I felt I was learning to fully adjust the car's speed, all with one pedal. Whereas with a conventional gasoline car with a traditional automatic transmission, you don't get that feeling (sometimes it shifts when you don't want it to, the engine braking isn't as good as with a manual, etc.).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ They are the "Patagonia" and "North Face" of cars especially if you live in more granola crunching colder climates. They are everywhere in New England and Colorado and I was going to trade in my Civic for an Outback had I stayed in New Hampshire several years ago.

Kia Optima's are sharp looking cars and wouldn't mind one at all. Better looking than most of the premium brands actually.

Stingers are really nice and very quick and a huge bang for the buck.
Does anyone know about their reliability? I have one acquaintance who has a KIA and she says it's not as reliable as her Honda was.

I know KIAs and Hyundais have 10-year warranties or something, which is great, but even though you'd be getting issues fixed for free, you would still be having the inconvenience(s) of having to get your car serviced, if they're not so reliable.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Can someone explain the draw to Subaru? They sell a ton. Styling is ok, I just don’t know much about them..
The fact that they are AWD really helps out in colder climates.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:34 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
The fact that they are AWD really helps out in colder climates.
Ok....I didnt realize they were all AWD

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 7:07 AM
video et taceo

The Korean manufacturers seem to be where the Japanese ones were in the late '80s.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

With electric eventually being mainstream, the way things are going with the carbon neutral approach, the auto manufacturers will have to really step it up to take that market share.

If its Ford or Toyota or Honda or BMW and so on.

The next "corolla" or "accord" of the electric world.

If they can price it under 30k or under 25k, whoever can make something appealing, and reliable... will take a nice chunk out of the market. Because the masses, realistically, under 30k is where its at.

That is kinda the big bummer at the moment. Yeah one can get a Tesla, but for the masses, 50k or more is a shit ton of money. Even with the whole fuel savings and 10 year savings factored into the equation, 50-60k+ is still massive for people or even couples outside of elite states like NJ or the state of NYC or expensive tech towns like Seattle or SF.

You won't be seeing folks in rural SC or rural Kansas buying electric. Just to damn expensive at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post

boxer engines and symmetrical full-time awd, totally different than how other companies do awd. (except audi's quattro to some extent)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
boxer engines and symmetrical full-time awd, totally different than how other companies do awd. (except audi's quattro to some extent)

I drove a 2000 Subaru Forester from 2000-2002.

The boxer engine has a lower center of gravity, so it helps with handling. I liked the symmetrical AWD; to me, it drove like a car with traditional longitudinally-mounted front engine/rear-wheel drive. There was no torque steer like you get with front-wheel drive, and the traction was really good when it was raining. You know how when it's raining and in a front-wheel drive car, when you accelerate quickly from a stop, sometimes the front wheels will spin (I guess a car with traction control eliminates or lessens that now; most newer cars have traction control, I believe)?. That didn't happen on my Forester; again, it drove like a car with rear-wheel drive.

I got rid of my Forester because I got sick of it really fast; it didn't handle as well as the previous car I had (a 1992 Honda Prelude, probably my most favorite car I've ever had), and the AWD actually eats into your gas mileage.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 6:11 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I drove a 2001 Legacy until 2018. It needed new brakes, the heat & AC didn't work anymore, and the body was getting a fair bit of rust at that point (probably in part due to being in a few accidents before I got it), and since I didn't need it for commuting anymore I scrapped it - but I could've kept it running as the engine was still in great shape even after 17 years and 350,000 km.

Great build quality, good gas mileage for a car of that era, great traction, and really fun to drive for a 170 hp station wagon. My mechanic and most "car guys" I know seem to swear by the quality of Subaru.

One of these bad boys (same colour too):

https://www.msmotorspdx.com/2001_Sub...OR_6684540.veh

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions