HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:26 PM
Community Guy

Blatchford Energy Centre complete & residential construction begins
September 20, 2019

Mayor Don Iveson, Councillor Bev Esslinger and Mutti Homes celebrated two major milestones at Blatchford today. The milestones are the completion of the first Energy Centre for the community District Energy Sharing System and the start of residential construction as Mutti Homes broke ground for the first townhomes.

Energy Centre One holds the key mechanical equipment for the District Energy Sharing System. Connected to a 570-borehole geoexchange field, the Energy Centre will deliver a reliable, renewable, environmentally-friendly source of heating, cooling and hot water for residents. This first Energy Centre, including the 570-borehole geoexchange field, cost $19.4 million to design and build and was completed on time and on budget. The first phase of the system will serve multiple residential stages in the community.

“Blatchford’s first Energy Centre, combined with the community’s energy efficient buildings and geoexchange field, plays a critical role in achieving an almost 75 per cent reduction in neighbourhood greenhouse gas emissions that come from buildings and homes compared to a standard community,” said Jason Meliefste, Acting Deputy City Manager, Integrated Infrastructure Services. “Given the prominence of this building in Blatchford’s future Civic Plaza, it was also designed to be a showpiece for sustainability and will allow future residents and visitors to see a renewable energy source in action.”

Today also marked the beginning of residential construction in Blatchford as the first homebuilder, Mutti Homes, broke ground. In addition to starting construction on their first townhome units, Mutti Homes also announced they have purchased another parcel of land in Blatchford. Their next nine townhomes will be located across from their current site and are now pre-selling.

“I have long believed in the power of cities to tackle some of the great challenges of our time, including looking at how we can play a role in confronting both the causes and the impacts of climate change,” said Mayor Iveson, “These two milestones demonstrate exactly what we are trying to accomplish with Blatchford. We have created a community-scale source of renewable energy which will connect to energy-efficient homes built by homebuilders who are as committed to our vision as we are.”

For more information:
Energy Centre photos and district energy video and fact sheet
Builder renderings

Media contact:
Lauren Bridges
Senior Marketing Strategist
Communications and Engagement
780-496-5868

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 7:26 PM
Community Guy

The LRT is coming.

https://blatchfordedmonton.ca/lrt/

The transit mall design will feature:

A separated commuter cycle track along the entire length of the LRT.

Very few crossings for vehicle traffic which will limit commute time and promote safety for pedestrians and cyclists.

Public plazas designed next to the LRT stations will add extra amenity space to the community and a chance to sit and sip your coffee (or tea) while waiting for the train.

Treed boulevards along the length of the tracks which will make the LRT corridor feel more like an active community street meant for walking and cycling.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 1:05 AM

That actually looks good......

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:39 AM

It looks fantastic. Need the pace of development to pick up in a big way to see it look anything like that in our lifetimes.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:58 PM
Community Guy

Drove by last weekend... fair amount up already.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:20 PM

I checked it out last weekend and the progress I have seen so far doesn't impress me considering how fast suburban developments go. There was a farmer's field (Edgemont) not far from my house that started construction at the same time as Blatchford; guess what, that entire field is about 75% done so far.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 5:02 PM
Community Guy

Community News
Biggest Colour Trend This Season: Green
Our construction season at Blatchford is about to bring a whole lot of life to the community. From an apple tree fruit orchard to wetlands, crews are focused on completing the landscaping in the first stage of the community and around the stormwater pond.

Let’s take a closer look at the first two (of many) green spaces that are now under construction in Blatchford!

Littlewood Park
The first pocket park in the community is being built right across the street from the townhomes that are currently under construction. Littlewood Park will be packed with amenities, including 56 community garden plots, a fruit orchard with 4 different types of apple trees, a plaza and additional green space for future picnics and pups to enjoy.

Plus, to make sure even the littlest residents have a place to play, a playground will be built in Littlewood Park. The playground will have equipment specially designed for 2-5 year olds and a separate area that will have equipment for older kids who are 5-12 years old.

Blatchford Park
A great central park for a great central community. Located in the centre of the neighbourhood, Blatchford Park will have plenty of open spaces, two ponds, treed areas and extensive trails.

Construction crews are already on site building the view deck over the first pond and preparing to landscape the surrounding area. The landscaping won’t stop at the edge of the pond though, as crews will be adding native vegetation and wetland plants right into the water to create a naturalized wetland area. Crews will also be installing amphibian habitats to ensure our frog friends have a place to call home!

Naturalized wetlands play an important role in sustainability. In addition to providing habitats for birds and beneficial insects, the plants help to capture and absorb pollutants, cleaning the water before it makes its way to the drainage systems, and eventually the North Saskatchewan River.

This year, crews will also be completing the landscaping around the pond, including building a shared use path for residents and visitors to enjoy.

Be the First to Live the Blatchford Life
Our builders have been busy connecting with home buyers as they continue to build homes for families to enjoy in the future. Looking to make the move this year? Visit our website to learn more about our builders and the homes now selling.

New home construction is moving fast on site! Here are the latest photos from Ocheller by RedBrick, Encore Master Builder and Mutti Homes.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:56 PM

The Stage 1 Parcels map on the City of Edmonton website has expanded to show the future properties adjacent to the current area under construction. This includes more fee-simple and condo townhomes, as well as condo apartments. There are also 2 more street names showing: Cedric Mah Road and Tony Cashman Road.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:02 PM
Community Guy

I was impressed to see so much up when I drove by the other day.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:28 PM

The Blatchford Renewable Energy Utility has launched a website. This site has a lot of information on how the district energy system will function, as well as information for the initial residents who will access this system for heat, cooling and domestic hot water.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 10:49 PM
Community Guy

While not exactly*** as originally sold/offered/planned, in 20 years it will be a pretty cool community.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:17 PM

This is an image of the Stormwater Management Facility from atop the hill in Blatchford, along with the rendering of it below.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
This is an image of the Stormwater Management Facility from atop the hill in Blatchford, along with the rendering of it below.

Water area looks quite reduced from the render. On the left in the photo is there a larger water area?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 10:26 PM
Community Guy

Also, hard to appreciate the scale.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Water area looks quite reduced from the render. On the left in the photo is there a larger water area?
it doesn't look that much smaller than shown the site plan given that it's a storm water pond and not the recreational body of water that was initially contemplated.

the vantage point in the photo is overlooking the "viewing deck" identified by the circled 32 in the plan and looking south. based on that, it would appear the east end of the pond as seen in the photo extends almost as far north again as it does to the south.

it looks like there might have been some minor reconfiguring to the peninsulas and islands but overall it seems pretty true to the plan. having said that, the water level being seen here is about as high as it will ever get given the rainfall we've had over the past 6 weeks. over time it will develop more like marshland than a lake (as shown in the rendering).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:47 AM

Blatchford posted few more pictures of the SWMF on their social media feeds:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 5:28 PM

^I wish they kept that waterfront/boardwalk along the eastern edge... among many other things i wish they kept.

In reality i would've loved something usable like the Glenmore reservoir in Calgary. Need not be even close to that big, but something substantially sized for recreational use.

This, however, will likely be littered with goose droppings in the summer

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 6:38 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:24 PM
Community Guy

A good amount of photos/updates on a sister page:

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...4#post-1645490

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:00 AM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton