HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Gardens at Market Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:44 PM

Onsite drilling began this morning.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

Are there any photos of what was there before? I hate seeing old buildings get torn down, even if they were "boring".

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:10 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Are there any photos of what was there before? I hate seeing old buildings get torn down, even if they were "boring".
This was essentially the crappiest most nondescript block downtown. A true void.

more info on tenants

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Quote:
May 16, 2013, 11:25am EDT

The Gardens gets the go ahead downtown

Millcraft Investments now has the full approval from the City of Pittsburgh to build its new The Gardens mixed-use development just off Market Square and a mix of prospective tenants to help get the $90 million project going.

The basic outline of the plan: a 176-room Hilton Garden Inn Hotel, 125,000 square feet of multitenant office space and retail totaling 28,000 square feet, with a 300-space parking structure.

Jason Stewart, the director of agency leasing in the Pittsburgh office of Jones Lang LaSalle, expects interest in the office space to come together more quickly now that the project has all its approvals.

“Now that the city of Pittsburgh approvals has provided the utmost certainly in the project, we’re probably going to see the activity increase in the next 30 to 60 days,” said Stewart.

According to the city, the Gardens received full approval from the board of the planning commission on Tuesday for a project designed by Miami-based Arquitectonica that calls for a structure comprising companion 18- and 11-story buildings on one site. The project had to overcome challenges from neighboring property owners over how big and how close the new development would be to them.

That included firms in the neighboring Benedum-Trees building right behind it.

Jon Harrigan, CEO of Pennsylvania Commercial Real Estate Inc., which both occupies and manages Benedum-Trees, said his company was satisfied with a compromise to move a garage entrance in the rear of the Gardens project onto Forbes Avenue.

“I think everybody has been satisfied and I think it’s a good compromise,” he said.

A key component of the project is the degree to which Millcraft and its partners have helped to provide a significant portion of the new building’s tenants.

To start, Millcraft is a franchise operator for the Hilton Garden Inn, so the firm’s hospitality arm will run the hotel.

Millcraft is teaming with Turner Construction, which will be a partner, to build the structure and move its offices there. Stewart estimated the construction firm will take 20,000 to 25,000 square feet in the building.

A Millcraft restaurant concept, Jacksons Restaurant, is expected to open its second location there. Herky Pollock, an executive vice president for CBRE who is representing the retail space in the building, also worked to bring Burgatory to the development, a business in which he is a partner.

Stewart expects the project to find a niche with office tenants who want newly built office space but aren’t big enough to take a large lease in other new office projects in or around downtown.

With it now broadly expected that a new office project needs to be half-leased to generate financing, Stewart expects Turner’s presence in the building gives a decent head start to reaching a decent occupancy level.

The office space is being marketed for lease at between $33 and $35 per square foot, according to the March 8 issue of the Commercial Real Estate Guide published by the Pittsburgh Business Times.

Construction is expected to begin soon this year.

Tim Schooley covers retail, real estate, small business, hospitality, arts and entertainment, government and media. Contact him at tschooley@bizjournals.com or 412-208-3826.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...for-a-new.html

Quote:
Aug 14, 2013, 2:03pm EDT

Fifth Third Bank is scouting for a new office downtown

Look for Fifth Third Bank as a potential tenant in a new office building in downtown Pittsburgh.

The Cincinnati-based Fifth Third Bancorp (Nasdaq: FITB) is facing the end of its lease for its 30,000 square foot regional headquarters in the Gulf Tower next year and is scouting the market, with one potential prospect expected to be The Gardens development just off Market Square.

Julie Fallon Hughes, Fifth Third Bank’s Pennsylvania market president, wouldn’t discuss where it was looking but did confirm the search, and that the bank is closing in on a choice.

While Millcraft has established a couple restaurants in the building’s first floor, the company is still seeking to land office tenants beyond Turner Construction, which will also be the construction company for the project. My sources familiar with the bank’s search but who spoke anonymously to protect their business relationships tell me that Millcraft is courting Fifth Third for The Gardens, a new development that could offer the opportunity for both office and retail space, giving the bank a potential branch location in a thriving part of downtown.

Millcraft Investments President Lucas Piatt wouldn’t comment about Fifth Third Bank. Piatt said he expects to be able to announce some new deals with tenants, both office and retail, soon.

“It’s going well,” he said. “We have several letters of intent out which we expect to have executed shortly.”

Construction on The Gardens is expected soon.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 9:22 PM

Construction starts tomorrow!

Millcraft to break ground on hotel-office complex in Downtown Pittsburgh

August 20, 2013 3:18 pm

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A major Downtown redevelopment is about to move from the drawing board to the dirt.

Washington County developer Millcraft Investments will break ground Wednesday on the $95 million Gardens at Market Square complex on Forbes Avenue near Wood Street.........

Read entire article at:http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...wntown-700052/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 11:38 PM

Post Gazette article failed to mention that groundbreaking was only ceremonial. Actual construction start date yet to be determined.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:25 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
Post Gazette article failed to mention that groundbreaking was only ceremonial. Actual construction start date yet to be determined.
Nothing out of the ordinary. I have never worked on a project which commenced immediately after the ceremonial groundbreaking.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 3:50 PM

No it's not out of the ordinary though it certainly does happen same day or same week sometimes. The post gazette article said the project will "break ground" on Wednesday and mentioned nothing about a ceremony which is what actually occurred without a single piece of dirt moving except for the dust kicked up by the politicians loafers. I can't say I'm surprised by inaccurate or false information in the PG. Regardless, the actual groundbreaking shouldn't be too far off with tenants being signed up and the dispute with the owners of the Benedum-Trees building resolved.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 11:53 AM

Heavy equipment is now on site. There are at least two pieces on site including a driller. I couldn't see too much as I was driving by and the site's perimeter is surrounded with fence, covered by promotional material.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 6:20 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...the-money.html

Quote:
Dec 19, 2013, 3:57pm EST Updated: Dec 19, 2013, 6:30pm EST

Millcraft shows us the money (Video)

The money is fully in place to build the Gardens at Market Square, the hotel-office-retail-parking development by Millcraft Investments long in development.

The company announced today "it has finalized and closed on project financing for the Gardens at Market Square." The final price tag: $104 million. The project, according to Millcraft, is expected to generate $4,000,000 in local taxes annually and result in a 700 jobs.

The funding list is long: M&T Bank, ERECT Funds, Strategic Investment Funds, Urban Redevelopment Authority, various New Markets Tax Credit lenders, TIF bonds, a grant through Allegheny County Gaming and Economic Development Fund grant, and Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program grant money from the state.

Here's how Lucas Piatt, president and chief operating officer of Millcraft, put the news:

“What started out as a vision seven years ago has finally become reality. Millcraft Investments is happy to be a part of the continued redevelopment of the core of downtown Pittsburgh that began more than eight years ago, and we are proud of the team of professionals who have worked tirelessly to make this project a reality.”

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 5:30 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I have been waiting for this forever.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 1:08 PM
Ex Houstonian

I thought construction was supposed to start months ago. Let's hope it really starts this time.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 3:05 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I thought construction was supposed to start months ago. Let's hope it really starts this time.
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201401080115

Quote:
Section of Forbes Avenue in Downtown Pittsburgh to close today

January 8, 2014

By Jon Schmitz / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Forbes Avenue will close long-term today between Wood Street and Market Square, the city of Pittsburgh announced.

The 16-month closure is to accommodate construction of The Gardens at Market Square, an 18-story office-retail-hotel complex on the south side of Forbes. The travel lane and both parking lanes will close but sidewalks will remain open.

Forbes Avenue between Market Square and Stanwix Street will be converted from one-way to two-way traffic during the closure, to provide an alternate access route to Market Square.

Jon Schmitz: jschmitz@post-gazette.com, 412-263-1868 and on Twitter @pgtraffic.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 8:50 PM

Yes! I figured construction would start soon after the deep freeze since financing finalized in the end of December. I was thinking of walking by today but figured I'd wait one more day to get a little more pleasant weather. Now I suspect that I may have missed the start of construction...
I'll confirm or deny this tomorrow but it's clearly going to be soon with Forbes shutting down today. It should be able to be moved to the under Construction thread almost right away as I don't believe that there will be any below grade levels and doubt caissons will be used.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 12:27 AM

The closure of Forbes and thus the arrival of construction equipment was delayed one day by the light snow last night. Crews could not do the necessary street painting on the Stanwix side of Forbes in order to make the street two ways. Closure is to happen tonight into tomorrow per Post Gazette.
I'm going to E-mail Millcraft and see if a webcam is planned and encourage them to do so if not

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:01 AM

Section of Forbes Avenue Downtown closed for construction

January 12, 2014 11:23 PM
By Lauren Lindstrom / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

After a section of Forbes Avenue closed Thursday evening, some local business owners had to find alternate routes for deliveries.

The street closure, which affects Forbes Avenue between Wood Street and Market Square, accommodates construction of The Gardens at Market Square, an 18-story office, hotel and retail complex. Driving and parking lanes are closed, but sidewalks remain open. .....

Read entire article at:http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201401130078

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 10:13 PM

Survey crews from Triad Surveys INC. out of New Kensington were working on site today. They left plenty of flags and markers in the soil. The site can be seen clearly as the advertising wrap has been taken down from the chain link fence surrounding the area.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 12:30 AM

There are a few more pieces of equipment on site including the construction trailer. The sidewalk is entirely ripped up and it appears the on-site rubble has been sifted as there are a few small piles of old wood, concrete bits, and metal. Two guys were sealing and painting the first couple outside floors of the building which will be abutting the Gardens.

[IMG]
20140131_161355 by quickest_1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 1:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

The first crane is coming on the site next week.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:27 PM

The basement of the old George Aiken's chicken is visible again.

[IMG]
20140203_155254 by quickest_1, on Flickr[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive