HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

535 Mission in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:56 PM

It should be noted that the hearing for this project was delayed to August 2, I believe (2 week delay). Commissioners Moore and Sugaya complained that they did not have adequate time to examine the environmental documents.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 5:02 PM

I do like how all of these buildings (555 Mission, 535 Mission - future, Millenium, Foundry Square) are doing a good job in terms of blocking the ugly view of the current Transbay Terminal from Mission and Howard streets.

Does anyone know if there are plans to construct any more high rises on the huge area of parking lots between Howard & Mission and 1st & 2nd streets? That seems like a prime area for more development.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 9:57 PM
BANNED

^^^There's a project which may even be entitled on Howard next to Foundry Square IV (presently a parking lot). It actually dates from the dot-com boom days but I think has now been redesigned as a "green" building. Further down the block (toward 2nd) is a lot (presently with a lowrise building on it) that shows up as a highrise site in plans for the TransBay neighborhood.

You can actually see both these projects on this render--they are in front of the far left end of the terminal building, one shown as approved and one as proposed:

And, of course, the render shows the terminal itself taking up the rest of the space on that block. If you recall, the Century would have been there but the land was taken by eminent domain for the terminal.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^There's a project which may even be entitled on Howard next to Foundry Square IV (presently a parking lot). It actually dates from the dot-com boom days but I think has now been redesigned as a "green" building. Further down the block (toward 2nd) is a lot (presently with a lowrise building on it) that shows up as a highrise site in plans for the TransBay neighborhood.

You can actually see both these projects on this render--they are in front of the far left end of the terminal building, one shown as approved and one as proposed:

And, of course, the render shows the terminal itself taking up the rest of the space on that block. If you recall, the Century would have been there but the land was taken by eminent domain for the terminal.
Interesting, although tough to tell from the drawing exactly what will be going on there. I do recall hearing about the Century. It looks to me from the pictures that the lots that I was referring to are depicted as a combination of low rises and parks. I think that could work, as long as there will be numerous shops and restaurants in those areas.

I heard someone mention once that Foundry Square IV was to be considered as a 30 story building. I don't recall where that was from.

Also, is the other lot you're referring to right across the street from Umbria (Howard & 2nd)? That would be a nice site for another development as well.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
I heard someone mention once that Foundry Square IV was to be considered as a 30 story building. I don't recall where that was from.

Also, is the other lot you're referring to right across the street from Umbria (Howard & 2nd)? That would be a nice site for another development as well.
Here's a map from the Transbay Redevelopment District by way of San Francisco Cityscape:

509 Howard/ Foundry Square III may eventually be developed into a 500' tower, but it will be years off.

As the parking lot at Howard and 2nd, it'll become Tishman Speyer's 222 Second St.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Interesting, although tough to tell from the drawing exactly what will be going on there. I do recall hearing about the Century. It looks to me from the pictures that the lots that I was referring to are depicted as a combination of low rises and parks. I think that could work, as long as there will be numerous shops and restaurants in those areas.

Foundry Square IV is built--it's on the northwest corner of 1st & Howard. The remaining lot on the southwest corner would be Foundry Square III if built.

You asked about the block between Howard and Mission. The park and lowrises are on the block between Howard and Folsom.

The diagram posted by FourOne Five shows the proposed building on Howard near Second, but not the one next to Foundry Square IV (both on the north side of Howard and both shown on the rendering I posted) because that building, as proposed, would not exceed the existing height limit.

There is a proposal for the lot across from Umbria also (southwest corner of 2nd & Howard) but that's not one of the ones I was talking about since it's on the block between 2nd and New Montgomery.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 4:53 AM
BANNED

I did some more research. This is the project next to Foundry Square IV:

Quote:
Developers dust off plans to build SoMa office tower
San Francisco Business Times - January 5, 2007
by J.K. Dineen and Ryan Tate
A stealth contender among the next crop of downtown San Francisco office buildings, 524 Howard St. seemed to have fallen off the map.

But perhaps not for long, according to developer Higgins Development Partners, which owns the parcel along with financial partner Pritzker Realty.

A 23-story building designed by HellerManus, 524 Howard St. was approved in 2000 and put on ice after the tech boom soured. On a mid-block site between First and Second streets, the project will include 202,000 square feet of office space. Swinerton is the contractor.

With rents rising rapidly in the south financial district, it's time to dust off the plans, said Nader Shah, senior VP of Higgins Development Partners.

"We believe the market has come back and we'll be taking a hard look at it in the first half of 2007," he said.

Higgins, based in Chicago, developed the 820,000-square-foot Yahoo headquarters in Sunnyvale and the Hyatt Center, a 47-story tower in Chicago.

The building at 524 Howard St. would be its first project in San Francisco.
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...wscolumn1.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Well, after even more time with Google, I found this:

Quote:
Commercial Real Estate News

SF Office Market: 11M SF in the Pipeline

By Brian K. Miller of GlobeSt.com
Friday, June 22, 2007 - SAN FRANCISCO-There are approximately 23 office projects totaling 11 million sf in the city’s development pipeline, according to a new compilation by the local office of Jones Lang LaSalle. The total includes 2.4 million sf under construction; 890,000 sf that are entitled but not yet under construction; 2.67 million sf for which entitlements are being sought; and four projects totaling four million sf that are in earlier stages of development.

“The city does not publish a list of pending developments,” says JLL’s San Francisco managing director Chris Roeder. “We did some research ourselves to try to sort it out and see how the future development is affected by Proposition M.”

Established in 1986 to control economic growth and development, Prop M caps the amount of high-rise office development that can be approved for development at 875,000 sf per development year, which runs October through September. That means it would take eight years for all of the un-entitled projects in the development pipeline to be approved for development.

“For probably only the second time since Prop M was passed we are going to be in a position where developers aren’t going to be able to develop as much square footage as they would probably like to,” Roeder tells GlobeSt.com. “The limited amount of future development increases the value of entitled and un-entitled land. Coupled with high construction costs, I don’t think we will see any great deals in the next three to five years.”

The 2.4 million sf under construction is divided among six projects. Two of those projects--Foundry Square I by Wilson Meany (400 Howard St.; 335,000 sf; 10 stories) and the new Federal Building (1000 Mission; 600,000 sf; 18 stories)--have no availability. A third project, Shorenstein’s 409-411 Illinois St. (five stories; 450,000 sf), is 50% preleased.

No preleasing has been announced for the other three projects that are under construction. The projects are 555 Mission St. (559,000 sf; 33 stories), which is being developed by Tishman Speyer and Morgan Stanley; 500 Terry Francois Blvd. (258,538 sf; six stories), being developed by Lowe Enterprises; and the 185 Berry St. addition (175,000 sf; two new floors), which is being developed by Rreef.

All of the projects under construction are scheduled for delivery in 2008 except the federal building, which was recently completed. None of the projects under construction is trying for LEED certification from the US Green Building Council, according to JLL.

The project entitled but not yet under construction include 330 Bush St. by Shorenstein (350,000 sf; height TBD); Foundry Square III by Wilson Meany (505 Howard; 220,000 sf; 10 stories); 524 Howard St. by Higgins Development and the Pritzker family (275,000; 23 stories); and 44 Fourth St. by Jamestown Properties (110,000 sf; height TBD).

The largest of the projects currently seeking entitlements are 222 Second St., a 617,000-sf project for which Tishman Speyer is seeking LEED certification; 40-90 First St., a 520,000-sf development by Solit Interest Group; Piers 27-31, a project by Shorenstein and Farallon that tentatively includes 440,000 sf of office; 1401 Third St., a 420,000-sf project by Catellus; and 535 Mission St., a 293,750-sf project by Beacon Capital Partners for which LEED certification is being sought.
Source: http://www.cityfeet.com/News/NewsArt...9&PartnerPath=

222 Second is, I believe, the lot across Howard from Umbria.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:15 AM

a couple of the projects on the map from cityscape have changed since the drawing was made -

222 second street will not exceed the height limit ( see http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfi...g/FinalNOP.pdf )

350 mission is also going to be within the 550' height limit, and most likely quite a bit less.

the project being referred to on howard is by heller manus - 524 howard - http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...ancisco-ca-usa

as noted above, approved, but not built. (thank god )

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
The Planning Commission hearing on this building has been rescheduled for July 19 vs July 12.
Does anyone have any more information about this?

14a. 2006.1273EKBX (I. WILSON: (415) 558-6163)

535 MISSION STREET, South side between 1st and 2nd Street, Lots 68 and 83 in Assessor’s Block 3721 – Request under Planning Code Section 309 for Determination of Compliance and Request for Exceptions to setback and separation of towers, ground level wind currents, and bulk requirements, for the construction of a 27-story (plus mechanical penthouse), approximately 380-foot tall building containing approximately 293,760 square feet of office space, approximately 3,700 square feet of retail space, and approximately 12,600 square feet of parking on one underground level, with approximately 32 parking spaces using valet operation. The Project also includes approximately 6,000 square feet of open space in a combination of exterior open space, interior greenhouse and improvements to Shaw Alley. This project lies within a C-3-O (Downtown Office) District, Transbay C-3 Special Use District, and is within a 550-S Height and Bulk District.

Preliminary Recommendation: Approval with Conditions

(Continued from Regular Meeting of July 12, 2007)

From http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_page.asp?id=64147

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 2:47 AM
BANNED

From Planning Commission Agenda today (August 2, 2007)

Quote:
REGULAR CALENDAR

12a. 2006.1273EKBX (I. WILSON: (415) 558-6163)
535 MISSION STREET - south side between 1st and 2nd Street, Lots 68 and 83 in Assessor’s Block 3721- Request under Planning Code Section 309 for Determination of Compliance and Request for Exceptions to setback and separation of towers, ground level wind currents, and bulk requirements, for the construction of a 27-story (plus mechanical penthouse), approximately 380-foot tall building containing approximately 293,760 square feet of office space, approximately 3,700 square feet of retail space, and approximately 12,600 square feet of parking on one underground level, with approximately 32 parking spaces using valet operation. The Project also includes approximately 6,000 square feet of open space in a combination of exterior open space, interior greenhouse and improvements to Shaw Alley. This project lies within a C-3-O (Downtown Office) District, Transbay C-3 Special Use District, and is within a 550-S Height and Bulk District.
(Continued from Regular Meeting of July 19, 2007)

12b. 2006.1273EKBX (I. WILSON: (415) 558-6163)
535 MISSION STREET - south side between 1st and 2nd Street, Lots 68 and 83 in Assessor’s Block 3721 – Request under Planning Code Section 321 for approval and Determination of Compliance for the construction of a 27-story (plus mechanical penthouse), approximately 380-foot tall building containing approximately 293,760 square feet of office space, approximately 3,700 square feet of retail space, and approximately 12,600 square feet of parking on one underground level, with approximately 32 parking spaces using valet operation. The Project also includes approximately 6,000 square feet of open space in a combination of exterior open space, interior greenhouse and improvements to Shaw Alley. This project lies within a C-3-O (Downtown Office) District, Transbay C-3 Special Use District, and is within a 550-S Height and Bulk District.
(Continued from Regular Meeting of July 19, 2007)
It seems to be rolling through the approval process. If 12b gets the nod, is it not then approved by the Planning Commission (unless some NIMBY appeals)?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2007, 11:49 PM
BANNED

The "Building Green" supplement to the SF Business Times has, on page 13, what appears to be a rendering of the new design for 535 Mission and to my eye it's a stunner. I can't find it anywhere in postable form, though--even as something I could take a screenshot of (I even sent this as a "tip" to Socketsite in hopes they'd come up with a version of it that could be posted but so far they haven't). For those who want to search (and I tried), they list the architect as HOK (wasn't it Heller-Manus once?) and the contractor as Swinerton. The developer is Beacon Capital and Strategic Partners IV--and they say "Available space 300,000 sq. ft in third quarter of 2009"

As to the design, think a slightly miniaturized, glass curtain-walled St. Regis (I'm thinking here of the sloping facet on the corners and the high (lighted??) crown screen).

Counting floors on the rendering, I got 26.

To reemphasize, if they want the space available 2 years from now ("third quarter 2009"), they are going to have to start shovelling pretty soon.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 1:07 AM
Green Berniecrat

This is encouraging news, and I trust that you have good judgement on the renderings you found

I agree, in order to fulfill that date, some activity should be seen soon.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 2:59 AM
BANNED

You need trust me no more: I found it (isn't that "Eureka!" ):

Source: http://www.greenbuild.com/projects/535mission.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:11 AM

^^ Looks nice.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
^^ Looks nice.
Well, yeah. For emphasis, let's do 'em, side by side:

We have Heller-Manus:

Source: http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7263/sftower8wx0.jpg

And we have HOK:

Source: http://www.greenbuild.com/projects/535mission.html

I'd say that's an IMPROVEMENT!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:18 AM

/\ /\

Thumbs up! Nice quality for a building of that height.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 4:11 AM
Green Berniecrat

Geez, I wouldnt even bother putting them next to each other. The difference is clear. I couldnt agree more, this is a vast improvment over H-M. I do see a resemblance to the upper portion of the St. Regis' tower.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 3:54 PM
Sonoma Strong

well lets see.... hok is world famous
heller is just local um, shit

a VAST IMPROVEMENT!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 6:23 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice! That will look so good next to 555. Great find, BT!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive