HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2161  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:26 PM
TallCoolOne's Avatar
TallCoolOne TallCoolOne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The First State
Posts: 259
^^^Awesome man (no apologies necessary).
__________________
"Does anybody remember laughter?"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125694656@N07/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2162  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:37 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Glad to see there is new interest in this whole thing.

I was talking about this with a bunch of people a while ago, and someone actually convinced me of the the merits of central pedestrian mall flanked by boulevard lanes and more developed frontage... and seeing this design i would be curious about all the alignments that could be done with removing the circle to return a grid pattern for the area.
I love it. Awesome job. It really shows you the potential capping the Expressway can bring. Could you imagine a park down Vine St capping the expressway with highrises lining both sides of the street?

Ahhh, I dream about it every time I walk by there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2163  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:26 PM
Mappy Mappy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 138
Added benefit of the capped 676 greenway (along with Spring Garden bike lane plan) is that it would keep the rail-park out of the city line are keep it open for this:



Its all there just waiting to be connected:
+Ridge Line Spur
+City Line
+shared section of Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge (could continue to 30th street station with propoer track and gage accomodations)
OR piggy-back Girard Trolley as a street car setup and connect to Please Touch and Mann Center
+less than 1/2 mile of connections

Links up
Old City (Market East transfers)
Franklin Square / Chinatown
Broad Street (BSL transfer)
CCP
Parkway/Rodin/Barnes/Dalian/etc
Art Museum/E.State Penn/Boadhouse Row/etc
Lemon Hill/Poplar St (new residential development area, commuters)
Zoo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2164  
Old Posted Yesterday, 5:32 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Added benefit of the capped 676 greenway (along with Spring Garden bike lane plan) is that it would keep the rail-park out of the city line are keep it open for this:



Its all there just waiting to be connected:
+Ridge Line Spur
+City Line
+shared section of Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge (could continue to 30th street station with propoer track and gage accomodations)
OR piggy-back Girard Trolley as a street car setup and connect to Please Touch and Mann Center
+less than 1/2 mile of connections

Links up
Old City (Market East transfers)
Franklin Square / Chinatown
Broad Street (BSL transfer)
CCP
Parkway/Rodin/Barnes/Dalian/etc
Art Museum/E.State Penn/Boadhouse Row/etc
Lemon Hill/Poplar St (new residential development area, commuters)
Zoo
Let me know when you run for mayor. You have my support!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2165  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:45 PM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 735
Mappy strikes again!

I really enjoy looking at the maps you create Mappy. Thanks!
__________________
"Life is what happens to you, when you're busy making other plans." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2166  
Old Posted Yesterday, 7:23 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Let me know when you run for mayor. You have my support!
I'm voting for him too. Mappy for Mayor 2016! 2015? Ahh who knows
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2167  
Old Posted Yesterday, 8:54 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 104
A++, Mappy! What would such an endeavor cost? No matter. You should really try to get it into the hands of Alan Greenberger, the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development. Or whoever replaces him when Nutter is gone (hopefully in a similarly development-minded administration).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2168  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM
TallCoolOne's Avatar
TallCoolOne TallCoolOne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The First State
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
A++, Mappy! What would such an endeavor cost? No matter. You should really try to get it into the hands of Alan Greenberger, the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development. Or whoever replaces him when Nutter is gone (hopefully in a similarly development-minded administration).

http://www.cap676.com/first-phase-of...ough/#more-122

The first phase of capping Interstate 676 has been funded and approved, but many people believe that this phase should go further. As part of a $120 million PennDOT project to revamp the western section of Interstate 676, a small section of the highway will be capped.

This project will likely not begin until 2015 as bids for the project will reportedly go out in December.




This is still on? Right?


__________________
"Does anybody remember laughter?"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125694656@N07/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2169  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM
rricci rricci is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 165
Once they cap the areas in front of the library and the new hotel, and spruce up Logan Circle (perhaps turning it back into a square and adding some greenery as proposed) this might be my new go-to spot. I live halfway between here and Rittenhouse Square. I typically choose the latter, but with improvements I think I'd choose the former. It all sounds beautiful. I would love to see them get rid of the center highway lanes of the Parkway and develop them with living and shopping options too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2170  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM
FourS FourS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 18
They're not capping everything, just the western of the two sections in front of the library. You can see it depicted as green in the above rendering.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2171  
Old Posted Yesterday, 11:50 PM
FourS FourS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 18
They are going to spruce up the rest of the area (and hopefully do something about the hobo encampments).
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:14 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.