HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 9:33 PM

September 5, 2013

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 1:43 AM

man... that's just so much construction. nevermind the development, ITS TOO MUCH FOR MY BRAIN! arrrgh!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 2:02 AM
Meh

Tower crane permit for the library. There will be two cranes. It says the hook heights will be 166 and 215 feet.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...09.12.2013.pdf

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 12:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
man... that's just so much construction. nevermind the development, ITS TOO MUCH FOR MY BRAIN! arrrgh!
Ha! I like this library much better than Seattle's. It won't be a classic like New York's or Los Angeles', but it will be nice.

Seattle

seattletimes.com

New York

teleread.com

tripadvisor.com

Los Angeles

irisreading.com

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 5:19 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...s-forward.html
Quote:
Oct 25, 2013, 12:28pm CDT
Austin's central library construction moves ahead

Robert Grattan
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

Austin's new central library is set to take another step forward pending City Council approval of a $2 million amendment with the project's architects.

The amendment would fund services including construction administration, reviewing contractor submittable, progress meetings and recording progress, among others. The amendment also includes the next phase of post construction warranty phase services. Council is expected to pass the item at its Nov. 7 meeting.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:56 PM

November 6, 2013

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 5:00 AM

Cool. I appreciate the update.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:00 PM

A few more renderings I found. I really hope it ends up looking like this!

http://www.lakeflato.com/projects/au...tral-library/#

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 9:30 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Knowing Lake/Flato, it will look very much like that.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 11:39 PM
Member since 2001

Nothing against Lake|Flato; but; this structure does nothing for me...architecturally. Austin had an opportunity to design and build a "world-class" architectural piece...and we get something that is not dissimilar from a number of small-scale buildings being constructed throughout Austin.

The city cannot, currently, force private developers to construct something which would be deemed "world-class" (by architects emanating from outside Austin)...so, it is left up to the city to choose to separate themselves from other cities on the planet (architecturally). Having said that, we have Morrison and Tovo on council...if it were up to them, the most architecturally pleasing building Austin would get is a one-story grass hut.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Nothing against Lake|Flato; but; this structure does nothing for me...architecturally. Austin had an opportunity to design and build a "world-class" architectural piece...and we get something that is not dissimilar from a number of small-scale buildings being constructed throughout Austin.

The city cannot, currently, force private developers to construct something which would be deemed "world-class" (by architects emanating from outside Austin)...so, it is left up to the city to choose to separate themselves from other cities on the planet (architecturally). Having said that, we have Morrison and Tovo on council...if it were up to them, the most architecturally pleasing building Austin would get is a one-story grass hut.
I disagree. Architecture can be both world class and regionalist. The fact that we have such a strong regionalist architecture aesthetic is an indication that we are well on our way to becoming world class. We do not need to imitate anybody else.

This building is going to be spectacular, and yet very much of Austin. While it has a lot of similarities to City Hall, it will be unique and complementary to it's older cousin. I am very much looking forward to its presence on Shoal Creek, and can't wait to sit back on one of the reading porches enjoying an interesting book on architecture.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 4:35 PM

The word for regional architecture is 'vernacular'. As much as I dislike some of Lake|Flato's work, I do think they are contributing to the development of a vernacular architecture. I don't mind that the building is not a "world-class" or "iconic" architectural piece. It's interesting-looking and familiar.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 6:59 PM

I am actually in agreement in the regional feel of the building and that it was a good decision. World-Class architecture is rarely welcoming and that is very important in a public building like this. I think the building is very Austin has an immediate welcoming presence to it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
The word for regional architecture is 'vernacular'. As much as I dislike some of Lake|Flato's work, I do think they are contributing to the development of a vernacular architecture. I don't mind that the building is not a "world-class" or "iconic" architectural piece. It's interesting-looking and familiar.
Vernacular refers to a way of building endemic to a particular locale, using (primarily) local materials. It is embedded in the culture of a place and not typically designed by architects. 19th Century German-immigrant built stone buildings with timber porches and balconies are Central Texas vernacular.

Regionalist architecture is contemporary building designed by architects that often reflects the local vernacular and uses local materials but is executed in a contemporary way with contemporary building materials and technologies.

Vernacular and regionalist are similar but not the same.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 1:32 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Relevant discussion for the new central library:

https://medium.com/the-magazine/11776eba0257

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 10:33 PM

Construction Update

They are still digging...

You can now clearly see where 2nd street is going to cross Shoal Creek and run next to the library site to West Ave.

Has anyone got a timeline for the construction of the 2nd street bridge? I heard, years back, that they were going to build it in conjunction with the library. This would minimize the time that Shoal Creek Trail / Lance Armstrong Bikeway was closed.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 9:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

They need to complete the entire stretch of 2nd in conjunction with both projects. It would be stupid to wait to build the bridge and would only cause more traffic headaches let alone confusion.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 7:20 PM

It seems like this one is moving incredibly slowly. They started digging in July. It's almost March. Does it really take 7 months to dig a hole?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 9:15 PM

The library site didn't have work onsite on saturdays for the longest time which I'm sure is because this is a city project and not private...

Regardless, I mean yeah it's definitely taking forever, but if it's scheduled to open in 2016 I'm sure it'll be done by then since Seaholm is slated for 2015 if I'm not mistaken, and it's a much larger project at that.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:56 PM

I do wish it would speed up. 2016 seems so far away for such a small building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin