HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:30 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
About a month ago, we were informed about Living Furniture coming to Pflugerville. They just started turning dirt about that time. As of now, huge foundations have been poured and construction on the buildings is on its way. This complex is going up really quick. There are signs on the east side of Heatherwilde and Toll Road 45 telling of more retail coming soon. Just came back from the ever expanding Stone Hill Center, and I can tell you the construction activity in this neck of the woods is amazing. As Downtown Austin grows taller, Pflugerville is gobbling up and developing horizontally. Not bad for a small town of less than 100K. What I like about Pflugerville's sprawl over Round Rock's is that all the development is pretty much compacted from 685 and Pecan St. north to the 45 / 130 intersection, and now just a few miles west on 45 to Heatherwilde. All the major retail centers are accessable using 45 and 130, and 685 south from there to Pecan, (1825).
I agree and pflugerville feels more fresh to me. Round rock does not feel like a true Texas surburb to me.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:40 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
https://communityimpact.com/austin/l...-concept-plan/

Quote:
Tonight, Lakeway City Council reviewed a concept plan presented by developer Legend Communities founder/principal Haythem Dawlett and Chief Operating Officer Bill Hayes for a town center—Lakeway City Center—to be located off Lohmans Crossing and behind the Oaks at Lakeway shopping center.

Hayes estimated the project cost would possibly exceed $500 million; take seven to 10 years to complete; and include a full-service hotel, a variety of homes, a community venue, a village green space, retail and office space. He also said the proposal includes a performing arts center or, in the event the center is not approved by City Council, an alternative concept, such as a movie theater with dining.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:57 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I agree and pflugerville feels more fresh to me. Round rock does not feel like a true Texas surburb to me.
Just curious, what do you mean by Round Rock not feeling like a "true Texas suburb"?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:10 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Just curious, what do you mean by Round Rock not feeling like a "true Texas suburb"?
It's hard to explain, me and a few friends who are not from Texas, but have explored all the big cities in Texas, comment how The Woodlands or even Plano are massive master-planned suburbs. Austin doesn't seem to have any like that, maybe Cedar Park or lakeway? I hope I making sense.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
It's hard to explain, me and a few friends who are not from Texas, but have explored all the big cities in Texas, comment how The Woodlands or even Plano are massive master-planned suburbs. Austin doesn't seem to have any like that, maybe Cedar Park or lakeway? I hope I making sense.
I don't think Round Rock or Cedar Park have ever had master plans. Round Rock has been around since the 1800's and has grown organically, like San Marcos or New Braunfels - it's not master-planned like Woodlands or Plano. I don't think Austin really has any truly master planned suburbs outside the city proper.

Although, communities like Bee Caves have new master-planned "central districts" - I think there is a master plan underway for Cedar Park as well.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:53 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I don't think Round Rock or Cedar Park have ever had master plans. Round Rock has been around since the 1800's and has grown organically, like San Marcos or New Braunfels - it's not master-planned like Woodlands or Plano. I don't think Austin really has any truly master planned suburbs outside the city proper.

Although, communities like Bee Caves have new master-planned "central districts" - I think there is a master plan underway for Cedar Park as well.
Good points and makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:58 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Okay, I think I follow. I see Round Rock as endless sprawl in a lot of ways, but Sighaven's point that Round Rock has somewhat grown organically makes sense as well...especially when compared to The Woodlands or Plano. So far as Round Rock goes, I know they've done some things for their historic downtown, but I really wish they would do more. It's really a neat area - same with Georgetown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Okay, I think I follow. I see Round Rock as endless sprawl in a lot of ways, but Sighaven's point that Round Rock has somewhat grown organically makes sense as well...especially when compared to The Woodlands or Plano. So far as Round Rock goes, I know they've done some things for their historic downtown, but I really wish they would do more. It's really a neat area - same with Georgetown.
Except Georgetown's downtown is very walkable, block after block, north to south, east to west. Heck, Taylor has more of a distinguishable downtown than Pflugerville or Round Rock. Neither of those two cities really have a destination downtown. If they didn't have water towers with the names of the towns on them, you might think you're still in the burbs of Austin. In over 30 years living here, I have never wanted to visit downtown Round Rock or Pflugerville. I have however, checked out Georgetown, many times, San Marcos, and Taylor. Also Fredricksburg, Lockhart, and even Luling and Bastrop.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:24 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Except Georgetown's downtown is very walkable, block after block, north to south, east to west. Heck, Taylor has more of a distinguishable downtown than Pflugerville or Round Rock. Neither of those two cities really have a destination downtown. If they didn't have water towers with the names of the towns on them, you might think you're still in the burbs of Austin. In over 30 years living here, I have never wanted to visit downtown Round Rock or Pflugerville. I have however, checked out Georgetown, many times, San Marcos, and Taylor. Also Fredricksburg, Lockhart, and even Luling and Bastrop.
I definitely agree with Georgetown especially. I meant to emphasize that I wish Round Rock did more (and, for that matter, that Georgetown would do *even* more). Round Rock has a quaint little downtown area that could be so much more.

Pflugerville doesn't have much of anything, same with Cedar Park.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:47 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...IZgqwsOWWhVUJ/
Quote:
Pflugerville Council mulls partnering in estimated $1.2B project

Mike Parker Austin Community Newspapers Staff
5:01 p.m Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017

The Pflugerville City Council is considering whether the city should partner in a development project, which developers say could be the difference between a $400 million project with a sprawling parking lot to a $1.2 billion project with a hotel, amphitheater and other community amenities.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 12:31 AM

Kalahari Resorts has a nice sign out by Hwy 79 and it looks like a welcome center is open. They renovated the old farm house on the land for their RR headquarters and welcome center. I typically don't drive on 79 so I was surprised to see a lot of development ahead of Kalahari's groundbreaking. By 2020, the section of 79 from Mays Street to Red Bud will be almost unrecognizable. With the Dell Diamond in the mix, this is going to be an interesting stretch of road. The Salt Lick is well positioned for the onslaught.

The HUGE Living Furniture site looks like they have most of the foundations poured for the warehouse, store, and surrounding retail and restaurants. There's a crane in place so I'm expecting vertical construction to begin soon. I have never seen cement slabs this big before, we're talking quite a few acres worth. Just like the transformation of that stretch of 79, 45 east is experiencing some major changes. There is another huge warehouse under construction just to the west.

There's quite a bit of construction action going on 15 miles north of all the excitement in Austin. Maybe not as glamourous as Austin downtown, but pretty amazing just the same.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:32 AM

Mixed used development called "The District" coming to Round Rock

Quote:
By Iain Oldman
Nov. 8th 2017

Mark IV Capital Inc. announced Wednesday it will build The District, a master-planned residential and commercial development at SH 45 and North Greenlawn Boulevard in Round Rock.

A memorandum understanding between Mark IV and the City of Round Rock directs the California-based real estate firm to invest $200 million of private capital in the development, which will bring residential, retail and office space to the southern end of Round Rock.

The development will be located on 65-acres of property and will provide approximately one million-square-feet of mixed-use space.

The District will also feature an estimated 900 units of residential space.
https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...ng-round-rock/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:55 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ian-style.html
Quote:
In Georgetown, 164 acres to become Italian-style village

By Daniel Salazar – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
6 hours ago

Jay Wolf saved up and, eventually, began to purchase land.

Now, that land, which sits near I-35 and State Highway 29, has sprouted developments such as the Wolf Ranch Town Center shopping mall and the 755-acre Wolf Ranch residential community.

But they don’t want to build another “cookie-cutter” mixed-use development.

Instead, Wolf Lakes Village will be modeled after a classic Italian village reflecting a region’s specific architecture and culture.

The project will break ground sometime in the spring, she said.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:55 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-downtown.html
Quote:
Hutto turns dirt for a new, true downtown

6 hours ago

There’s no doubt in Helen Ramirez’s mind: The Co-Op District is Hutto’s most important development undertaking in the city’s modern history, said the assistant city manager.

When it’s complete, a new city hall, library and other public amenities will be flanked by at least $100 million of private development that may include luxury apartments, restaurants, retail and office space, a movie theater, a hotel and conference center, plus much more.

Construction on the 40,000-square-foot city hall, two parking garages and infrastructure such as roads started last month. The first structures are expected to be ready for move-in by Christmas 2018.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:56 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...parks-big.html
Quote:
Boosting Bell Boulevard: Cedar Park's big revitalization effort
Master developer to be sought soon

By Daniel Salazar – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
6 hours ago

It’s no secret that Cedar Park is one of the fastest-growing communities around.

The Williamson County suburb has seen big development spring up along FM 1431, U.S. Highway 183-A and around the HEB Center at Cedar Park.

But central parts of U.S. 183, which is also called Bell Boulevard, have become stagnant, even generating declining sales tax revenue, said Assistant City Manager Katherine Caffrey. That’s unusual for a city used to seeing growth.

“Our plan in 2018 is to get a master developer on board to begin executing the community’s vision,” Caffrey said.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:58 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ts-moving.html
Quote:
'TOD' district in Leander gets moving

6 hours ago

It’s been about a decade since Leander started touting TOD — transit-oriented development — around its train station that takes residents all the way to downtown Austin.

After a slow start, major tenants are bringing big buildings to life around the station — most notably Austin Community College and St. David’s HealthCare, two powerhouses in the region.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:00 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...er-pegged.html
Quote:
Water park, resort and convention center pegged near Dell Diamond

6 hours ago

When the Kalahari Resort and Convention Center opens in Round Rock, residents and businesses will gain a huge asset.

In addition to capital investment stipulations, the deal requires the company to hire and maintain a workforce of at least 700. Kalahari plans to build a 975-room hotel and 200,000-square-foot water park while the city has committed to building a 150,000-square-foot convention center on the site along U.S. 79 across from the Dell Diamond minor league baseball stadium.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:57 AM
World Traveler

Wow, that's a lot of stuff happening around the metro. I'd still love to see more height around I-35, 45, and Mopac. That area could use some true density and walkability.

Same goes for 183 and 45 for that matter.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Lol. I think they're 10 years late on the Tuscany in Texas trend.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:23 PM

They have a YouTube animation about the Italian village in Georgetown.

https://youtu.be/ehNnzdYj-sM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin