HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
http://www.septa.org/media/50th/orig...l-service.html

I think that is necessary to organize a petition to do return the 24/7 subway service in Philly. Philadelphia DESERVES a 24/7 subway. Patco is 24/7, NYC subway ( 20 lines.... ), SIR, Path, L Chicago ( 2 lines ) are 24/7. Philadelphia is a great city and it HAD a 24/7 service until 1991 !!! Today Philly is less violent than 1991 and now it is possible to have CCTV in every corner of all the stations. hope that SEPTA realizes that..........
SEPTA Market-Frankford Line and Broad Street Line do run 24 hrs Friday through Sunday. They could maybe add Thursday too, but I don't know if there is currently enough demand for Monday through Wednesday.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
SEPTA Market-Frankford Line and Broad Street Line do run 24 hrs Friday through Sunday. They could maybe add Thursday too, but I don't know if there is currently enough demand for Monday through Wednesday.
I think that Septa could begin an 24/7 experiment the next summer and to see the results. I hope that somebody will organize a petition.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 12:10 AM

Well seeing how there was a petition for Philly Open Streets after the Papal Visit, I wouldn't be surprised to see one soon after SEPTA has announced their decision on 24/7 service.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 2:36 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Second Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for Philadelphia

Heavy Rail
Philadelphia / EL & Subway - 330,600 (2015) : 3.63% +

Suburban/Regional Rail
Philadelphia Suburbs / SEPTA Regional Rail - 128,700 (2015) : 0.70% +

Bus Ridership
Philadelphia / SEPTA Bus - 540,900 (2015) : 2.27% +
(Trolley) Philadelphia / SEPTA - 22,100 (2015) : 21.96% +

Light Rail
Philadelphia / Trolleys - 86,800 (2015) : -5.42%

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Second Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for Philadelphia

Heavy Rail
Philadelphia / EL & Subway - 330,600 (2015) : 3.63% +

Suburban/Regional Rail
Philadelphia Suburbs / SEPTA Regional Rail - 128,700 (2015) : 0.70% +
Can this be right? 2 1/2 times the number of people ride those two lines than ride the 12 suburban lines?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 5:02 PM

SEPTA - Positive Train Control (PTC)

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Can this be right? 2 1/2 times the number of people ride those two lines than ride the 12 suburban lines?
Since SEPTA hasn't expanded much in the last 40 yrs... Ridership hasn't grown all that much... If they had built the Boulevard Subway you could probably add 100k to that number.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Since SEPTA hasn't expanded much in the last 40 yrs... Ridership hasn't grown all that much... If they had built the Boulevard Subway you could probably add 100k to that number.
But I would have thought that the suburban lines would always have been higher. I ride regional rail every day, and trains are usually packed at rush hour, and even later into the evening. Even if the subway and el were packed all the time, there are only 2 lines vs 12 regional rail lines. It just doesn't seem to add up. A lot of subway riders go to and from the stadiums, I get that, but still it seems off. Just me.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 6:27 PM

The Market-Frankford Line runs 15 trains per hour in each direction during rush hour, six cars each. Broad Street Line runs approx 8-9 trains per hour during rush (and i think that's just local, not expresses), also six cars each. They then continue to run about every 10-12 minutes all day on both lines.

Regional Rail lines run every 15 minutes at most at rush, and then every 30-60 in off-peak hours, sometimes with 6 or more cars, but often with only 2 or 3.

I'm oversimplifying here, but point is that the heavy rail has way more capacity and moves way more people. The crowded RR trains certainly speak to demand for bigger trains and/or more frequent service, so there's absolutely room for ridership growth, but the MFL and BSL are the work horses of the system.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
But I would have thought that the suburban lines would always have been higher. I ride regional rail every day, and trains are usually packed at rush hour, and even later into the evening. Even if the subway and el were packed all the time, there are only 2 lines vs 12 regional rail lines. It just doesn't seem to add up. A lot of subway riders go to and from the stadiums, I get that, but still it seems off. Just me.
A couple things, if the subway and the El were regional rail, they would be considered two lines each as they pass through Center City. So it's actually 4 vs. 12. Although the regional rail lines are packed at rush hour inbound and rush hour outbound, frequency and non-peak use makes the difference.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:19 AM
Volatile Pacivist

And also, a longer distance line suburban or regional rail line will often seem more crowded than it's ridership figures would suggest because people are staying on the train longer riding longer distances. On urban rapid transit you have a lot more people getting on an off, and each one is counted toward the ridership. Sometimes there are even people just riding short distances like a couple stops within downtown or the central areas.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 11:02 AM

Are there any plans to expand the bike share program to nin downtown locations? My wife and I went for a walk through pennypack park on Sunday and we thought it would've been nice day for a bike ride. I would think they would get a lot of use since there are many entrances that they could put stations. I don't think they would need to redistribute bikes since many people wouldreturn them where they picked them up.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbride102 View Post
Are there any plans to expand the bike share program to nin downtown locations? My wife and I went for a walk through pennypack park on Sunday and we thought it would've been nice day for a bike ride. I would think they would get a lot of use since there are many entrances that they could put stations. I don't think they would need to redistribute bikes since many people wouldreturn them where they picked them up.
Good question. I was wondering how long it will be to put a bike station at the Wissahickon Transfer Station. This spot sits right at the nexus of Kelly Drive and the Lincoln Drive Trail which connects to Forbidden Drive, so you're talking about 12 or so miles of continuous paved park bike trails connecting the far northwestern end of the city to Center City. For the more ambitious (and likely those who already own bikes), it's also very close to the Main Street Topath which eventually connects to Valley Forge. Plus with 10 bus lines and a nearby train station, it's accessible to anyone in the city. To me, it's a no-brainer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:22 PM

I've also read about the east coast greenway but so very few people have even heard about it. I think it would be a huge boon to that project to have bikeshare stations along the route along with better signage/promotion. I think its a worthwhile project that should be funded as an infrastructure would. I believe that most people view biking as a leisure activity rather than an alternative to commuting due to the nature of jobs and workplaces. However bikeshare as a recreational activity could be profitable imo.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:12 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbride102 View Post
I've also read about the east coast greenway but so very few people have even heard about it. I think it would be a huge boon to that project to have bikeshare stations along the route along with better signage/promotion. I think its a worthwhile project that should be funded as an infrastructure would. I believe that most people view biking as a leisure activity rather than an alternative to commuting due to the nature of jobs and workplaces. However bikeshare as a recreational activity could be profitable imo.
AFAIK the ECG, Schuylkill River Trail, Great Allegheny Portage, and similar projects are run by suburbanite types who see biking as a recreational activity. The notion that bikes can be a mode of transportation remains limited to urbanites.

There still isn't a completed section of the ECG linking two Northeastern cities. Even the section between Philly and New York needs some more linkages.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 9:05 PM

I think a bikeshare program could serve both markets. Does not have to be one or the other.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 12:58 AM

Northeast Rail Report Proposes 2 More Amtrak Stops in Philly

Quote:
Big changes may be coming to Philly's transportation system—well, at least 25 years from now. The Federal Railroad Administration recently released its first draft of the Northeast Corridor Futures report and proposed four different alternatives for the future of the rail service, two of them involving Philly in a major way. The "Alternative 2" proposal would create a passenger stop at the Philadelphia International Airport. Currently, SEPTA's Airport Regional Rail Line and bus service are the only two forms of public transportation available. This would cost between $131 to $136 billion.

Quote:
"Alternative 3" proposes a massive transformation for the entire NE corridor and includes adding 10 new passenger stops, including one at the airport and another in downtown Philadelphia. This overhaul could cost up to $308 billion.

Want to weigh in? The Federal Railroad Administration is hosting public hearings in all the major cities that may be affected by the proposals. Mark your calendar for Monday, January 11 for the public hearing at 1234 Market St. in Philadelphia.
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...-in-philly.php

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 1:07 AM
Me?!?

The first new SEPTA train station to open in 20 years will begin operation this weekend.

The 9th Street Station in Lansdale will add a stop to the Doylestown Line, SEPTA officials said Thursday. Lansdale's existing station will continue to operate, they said, and all trains on the line will stop at the new station at 141 West 9th Street.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...vwAltf3VFp8.99

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Northeast Rail Report Proposes 2 More Amtrak Stops in Philly

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...-in-philly.php
surely that 308 billion was a typo...I remember they had brought costs down to 100 billion...308 billion is the cost of all the backlogged projects in every state... Surely they meant that...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 8:30 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

It looks like real time subway tracking is coming to SEPTA. This appears to be a pilot situation at 5th Street station on the eastbound side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation