HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:21 PM
Voice of the Modern World

This will basically end San Antonio's shot at MLS expansion.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
This will basically end San Antonio's shot at MLS expansion.

SAN ANTONIO SPURS NBA SEASON STARTS TOMORROW!!!
GO SPURS GO!!!
IT'S AWESOME BEING AN NBA CITY!!!!!

I'm thinking an MLS team is on it's way to SA!!!!

GOOD LUCK AUSTIN ON TRYING TO GET YOUR FIRST PRO SPORTS TEAM!!!!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The owner of the team mentioned that he expected public financing on a stadium with either city, but we all know that isn't going to happen here.
for what it's worth

"A spokesperson for the relocation effort said Tuesday morning that public funding would not be sought for a stadium."

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...g-move-austin/

Edit: the actual quote is here

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171...team-is-moving

"Precourt also said he and and his group are not asking for public tax dollars and are not asking either Columbus or Austin to build a stadium. "

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
for what it's worth

"A spokesperson for the relocation effort said Tuesday morning that public funding would not be sought for a stadium."

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...g-move-austin/

I'm glad you caught that cause I misread the quote I was looking at earlier, was still in a morning haze.

Edit: the actual quote is here

"Precourt also said he and and his group are not asking for public tax dollars and are not asking either Columbus or Austin to build a stadium. "
I'm glad you caught that. I misread the quote as I was still in a morning haze.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NBA SEASON STARTS TOMORROW!!!
GO SPURS GO!!!
IT'S AWESOME BEING AN NBA CITY!!!!!

I'm thinking an MLS team is on it's way to SA!!!!

GOOD LUCK AUSTIN ON TRYING TO GET YOUR FIRST PRO SPORTS TEAM!!!!
I don't see why both cities couldn't have a team.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yowza, that's exactly what I was thinking. And there's probably a zero chance of them building anything along the river, especially near downtown. Not to mention if they play at UT, there would be a ton of empty seats that at the very least would look horrible for gauging its popularity here. They should save the rent money and put it towards a purpose built stadium in Columbus like I think they would prefer to do anyway. Its kind of cool that Austin is the attractive bridesmaid that encourages bargaining chipping.
The quote about a "pristine, waterfront development" makes me think that they are close to sealing a deal at the Statesman site. We'll see.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Well at least this news clears up the matter of why the MLS trademarked two Austin team names back in August. Obviously there are some behind the scenes activity that has been going on for awhile.

As far as location, the Statesman site or thereabouts comes to mind right off the bat (or I should say off the foot...) as there are few locations along the river that would be a viable candidate. They will not be building a stadium on existing parkland south of the river. So the area around the events center is out of consideration from the get go.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
They will not be building a stadium on existing parkland south of the river. So the area around the events center is out of consideration from the get go.
Why don't you think they would build there?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Why don't you think they would build there?
It's public parkland for one thing and it has a use. Secondly there would be protests like you have never seen if a private venture was to be built over some of this city's most precious assets. It's not going to happen.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:46 PM

Here's a quote from the team's owner:

Quote:
He dispelled rumors that the team has an agreement to play temporarily at the University of Texas stadium in 2019 while a new stadium is built.
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...n-texas-101717

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Statesman site or thereabouts comes to mind right off the bat .

Austin already has an international sporting event in F1, soccer would be a better fit but in my honest opinion Major League Baseball would be more prestigious. Imagine how this place would rock when the Yankees visit for a weekend triple header.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 8:53 PM

This could also change MLS expansion plans according to SI:

Quote:
A source with knowledge of the situation says that if Columbus moves, and thus opens up some real estate in the Midwest, it will dramatically increase the chances that Cincinnati and even Detroit get expansion teams and essentially kill the chances of San Antonio. The source said owner Anthony Precourt would only move Columbus to Austin and is not considering a move to Detroit, Cincinnati or anywhere else.
https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/17...innati-detroit

The weird thing about this if it happens is that there was virtually no effort put forth by the city or any private group to bring MLS here. Other MLS expansion hopefuls have made major plays along with stadium proposals.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This could also change MLS expansion plans according to SI:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/17...innati-detroit

The weird thing about this if it happens is that there was virtually no effort put forth by the city or any private group to bring MLS here. Other MLS expansion hopefuls have made major plays along with stadium proposals.
>>The source said owner Anthony Precourt would only move Columbus to Austin and is not considering a move to Detroit, Cincinnati or anywhere else.

Apparently he can _only_ move to Austin, no where else (until 2023).

"Precourt’s purchase agreement included a promise to keep Crew SC in Columbus for at least 10 years, as well as an escape clause in the event Precourt decided to move the team to Austin."

Okay, it doesn't actually say no where else, but I think that's implied (otherwise it would be relevant information in the discussion).

>>The weird thing about this if it happens is that there was virtually no effort put forth by the city or any private group to bring MLS here

We don't know how much effort has been going on behind the scenes. There still has to be a stadium (apparently privately funded). That either has been or will be major effort.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 9:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Speaking of which, there's a lot of Austin bashing happening on Twitter from our neighbors to the south. It's a shame.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:16 PM
World Traveler

I think Austin and San Antonio can both support MLS teams, and the rivalry that would come from that would be a lot of fun also. MLS is not the same as NFL, MLB, or NBA...their markets aren’t the same. I think it could totally work.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 10:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It's public parkland for one thing and it has a use. Secondly there would be protests like you have never seen if a private venture was to be built over some of this city's most precious assets. It's not going to happen.
Good Point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think Austin and San Antonio can both support MLS teams, and the rivalry that would come from that would be a lot of fun also. MLS is not the same as NFL, MLB, or NBA...their markets aren’t the same. I think it could totally work.
The MLS has told San Antonio officials in the past that they will never put teams in both San Antonio and Austin.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:25 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'd say the American Statesman site is indeed the spot that is being hinted. Was watching KXAN and apparently the trust holder sent a document last week regarding a soccer stadium but that was all that they were able to get. It sounds like intersted parties are keeping their mouths shut. What it confirms at least is that it's the top candidate for a stadium.

We should be hearing more since the Crew owner will be here talking with interested parties.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:53 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

They could fit a Toyota Field-sized stadium on the AAS site and still have room. They could surround it with something like Dallas' Victory Park or Arlington's future Texas Live! developments with bars, restaurants, and hotels that would help bring in money year-round. If they, or some other developer, could get their hands on the TXDot buildings, the development around the stadium could be a very dense, party atmosphere all year.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I'd say the American Statesman site is indeed the spot that is being hinted. Was watching KXAN and apparently the trust holder sent a document last week regarding a soccer stadium but that was all that they were able to get. It sounds like intersted parties are keeping their mouths shut. What it confirms at least is that it's the top candidate for a stadium.

We should be hearing more since the Crew owner will be here talking with interested parties.
But it won't be cheap, the land, demolition, and let's not forget that removing the equipment inside is going to be very heavy and expensive. Its going to take a developer with deep pockets just to prepare the site for any kind of construction. Plus, why bother building a permanent soccer field at COTA if in a few years you can use / share a larger venue downtown? I would love to see a special event center built on the AAS site, I even posted a rendering on a thread, but I wouldn't put any money on it ever happening.
Amazon H2 has a better chance of landing in Austin than MLS. The AAS site is going to be redeveloped into something that will make money for the developer...condos, office space, retail, and restaurants. No one is going to want to pay for a stadium / park there.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:

If it is the Statesman site, I find it hard to believe that the Columbus Crew ownership could ever turn that down no matter what Columbus has to offer. Best site in the fastest growing city in country seems like an easy winner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin