HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
Very off topic, but will we ever see any development on the land north of Cesar Chavez, west of Lamar, and south of the train tracks?

Seems like everything there now could be moved to a different location without much issue (besides money).
That is dedicated park land. There is a project known as the Lamar Beach Project which has been approved that will upgrade this area, but it will used in essentially the same manner. The YMCA will not move, and Austin Pets Alive plans to rebuild their facility. There will be some rearranging of the sports fields used by the West Austin Youth Association, an outfit with considerable political and financial clout. Trying to move the YMCA, Austin Pets Alive, and the WAYA playing fields would create a HUGE outcry. Not ever going to happen.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
That is dedicated park land. There is a project known as the Lamar Beach Project which has been approved that will upgrade this area, but it will used in essentially the same manner. The YMCA will not move, and Austin Pets Alive plans to rebuild their facility. There will be some rearranging of the sports fields used by the West Austin Youth Association, an outfit with considerable political and financial clout. Trying to move the YMCA, Austin Pets Alive, and the WAYA playing fields would create a HUGE outcry. Not ever going to happen.
Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 1:21 AM
World Traveler

Yeah, I go back and forth a lot on whether or not that area should change. While the land in that area could definitely be "better utilized" in some way, it's also nice to have the green space and recreational facilities right smack in the middle of everything. Plus, my wife likes to walk dogs for the Austin Pets Alive (or whichever one does that) when we're back in Austin on the hike and bike trail, so she'd be upset also... They still do that right? She'll be heartbroken if not...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 2:29 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've actually been trying to keep an eye on the same area, but north of the tracks. Around Baylor, Orchard, Pressler streets. That's bound to be developed in the future.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Yeah, I go back and forth a lot on whether or not that area should change. While the land in that area could definitely be "better utilized" in some way, it's also nice to have the green space and recreational facilities right smack in the middle of everything. Plus, my wife likes to walk dogs for the Austin Pets Alive (or whichever one does that) when we're back in Austin on the hike and bike trail, so she'd be upset also... They still do that right? She'll be heartbroken if not...
Still plenty of dog walking opportunities!!!!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I've actually been trying to keep an eye on the same area, but north of the tracks. Around Baylor, Orchard, Pressler streets. That's bound to be developed in the future.
There is a crane up there on the other side of the tracks now. I think it is just another five story apartment, but I am not sure. You know that the master plan calls for extending Pressler St. across (under) the tracks to connect with "Lamar Beach" and Cesar Chavez. It will supposedly enhance "connectivity" between Lamar Beach and the rest of the city. I predict lots of traffic issues, especially if they don't make it an underpass.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:33 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Still plenty of dog walking opportunities!!!!
Great, she'll be thrilled.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 6:34 AM

Frost Bank Tower night lighting

I've never noticed the Frost Bank Tower's lights on this late (1:30 a.m.). Usually the lights seem to be off at around 11:30 pm.

Anybody know what the lighting schedule is, and/or if this is to showcase skyline for big tourism event like ACL?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:59 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Ok, so which one of y'all is Pasken on shaggytexas?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Ok, so which one of y'all is Pasken on shaggytexas?
Yeah!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:50 AM

I was checking out the Sky Austin site at Lavaca & 17th St on Streetview, and noticed these "guests" at the Hampton hotel on the same intersection:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
What building is that obscures the view of Texas State Capital building, except for the visible spire? The view from my apartment in SW Austin is similar, but from a greater distance, in that you can only see the spire of the state capital building due to that building.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:20 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I was driving into work from Kyle and noticed I could see the Fairmont from the top of the hill just north of the 45/130 exit just north of Buda. I looked at Google maps and that's over 10 miles. I only mention this because we've talked about where around Austin we can see the spire.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by odelayjb View Post
What building is that obscures the view of Texas State Capital building, except for the visible spire? The view from my apartment in SW Austin is similar, but from a greater distance, in that you can only see the spire of the state capital building due to that building.
That's the Westgate Tower. It's a residential building that was built in 1967.
https://www.google.com/search?q=west...w=1920&bih=949

Quote:
I was driving into work from Kyle and noticed I could see the Fairmont from the top of the hill just north of the 45/130 exit just north of Buda. I looked at Google maps and that's over 10 miles. I only mention this because we've talked about where around Austin we can see the spire.
It's definitely sticking up in places. I saw it last week from FM 1626 in Hays County just as you pass the Hills Baptist Church. That stretch of the highway is way up on a hill and you can see several buildings. I could even see the the lights on the roof. That spot is just under 13 miles from it. I also saw it from Manchaca Road just before you get to William Cannon, and there's also a view of it from Manchaca Road north of William Cannon as you pass by Garrison Park.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:11 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's definitely sticking up in places. I saw it last week from FM 1626 in Hays County just as you pass the Hills Baptist Church. That stretch of the highway is way up on a hill and you can see several buildings. I could even see the the lights on the roof. That spot is just under 13 miles from it. I also saw it from Manchaca Road just before you get to William Cannon, and there's also a view of it from Manchaca Road north of William Cannon as you pass by Garrison Park.

Dang. I tried seeing what you saw on Google Street View from FM 1626. I think the Google car was on the wrong side of the road to be able to see the skyline over the trees. Need to be on the northbound side like you were.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 8:03 AM
Meh

I also saw the Austonian out on FM 967 west of 1626 a week ago. That was in the daytime and it was around 15 miles from downtown. I would imagine that you might be able to see the spire from that far away at night. The Independent should stick up there, too.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:01 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

What's your favorite Halloween candy?

I loved getting these:

Also loved getting Reese's cups.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
What's your favorite Halloween candy?

I loved getting these:

Also loved getting Reese's cups.
Three Musketeers, Milky Way, Almond Joy and Mounds were my favorites. Since I was diagnosed with Diabetes recently, I can't eat anything like that anymore. I can't eat any candy or sugary stuff. If I get any, you can have it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:25 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Three Musketeers, Milky Way, Almond Joy and Mounds were my favorites.
Did you really like these, or did you just make yourself like them because all your friends and family would happily get rid of them? haha

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Did you really like these, or did you just make yourself like them because all your friends and family would happily get rid of them? haha
After my dad rummaged through my Halloween booty, I was left with mostly crap like candy corn, bubble gum, the waxed paper wrap cheap kind, a few Tootsie Rolls, cookies, and apples. I was lucky to score any of the good stuff after Dad got his hands on my pillow case full of candy. But yeah, I really did like those. Probably partly to blame for my diabetes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin