HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 11:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
From where are they getting this 371' height?
The original site plan that was submitted on February 29 of last year showed the elevations listing the height as 371 feet 2 inches with 31 floors. There was an update about 2 weeks ago that showed the elevations listing it at 357 feet 2 inches with 30 floors. The elimination of the 31st floor chopped off 14 feet. The 31st floor was 14 feet slab-to-slab, as shown in the elevations.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 12:09 AM

We'll probably have to wait until the released elevations are attached to the site plan to know for sure what the height will be. That should be next week. This project has had several changes throughout its 10ish year history. I think it was originally proposed as 20-stories before the recession.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 9:59 PM

The elevations are attached to the approved site plan now. It did end up being 357' tall.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:11 PM

Was this project cancelled? I've always been interested in it and haven't heard any news in awhile.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Was this project cancelled? I've always been interested in it and haven't heard any news in awhile.
No. The last news we have is a December start.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:38 PM

This hotel is planned to be a Capella Hotel Group property. But about a week ago the Capella Hotel Group that was based in Atlanta was sold to a Singapore family and the HQ is moving from Atlanta to Singapore. This project was never listed on Capella's website, and there is no word about the project's status that I can find. The Capella Hotel Group was founded by one of the Ritz-Carlton co-founders.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/hotel-...l-group--12042

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This hotel is planned to be a Capella Hotel Group property. But about a week ago the Capella Hotel Group that was based in Atlanta was sold to a Singapore family and the HQ is moving from Atlanta to Singapore. This project was never listed on Capella's website, and there is no word about the project's status that I can find. The Capella Hotel Group was founded by one of the Ritz-Carlton co-founders.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/hotel-...l-group--12042

I wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't inevitably fall away from Capella. Honestly, after looking at other Capella properties and cities, the Mirabeau, in Austin, TX, didn't really match the rest of the brand.

Honestly, Austin always projects more relaxed, more hip, and less urban sophistication. Luxury properties always have that difficulty here -- how to be luxury without seeming stuffy and god forbid unhip.

If I was Richard Branson's team, Capella's CEO would be on my speed dial. That's a great opportunity to swoop in on if you're Virgin.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:50 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
...Luxury properties always have that difficulty here...
Can you give us some examples?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:05 AM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:23 AM

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:52 AM

That's a brand new BOKA Powell flipbook, but I just noticed that's the same project info they had in their older flipbook from February 2016. The project didn't include the condos in the approved and released site plan. For some reason the released site plan is no longer available on the approved permit. Maybe a server is currently down.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:25 PM

I like this revision

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:31 PM
Meh

Yeah, it's good. It has a quasi-Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it with the overhangs, materials, and colors.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Can you give us some examples?
Sorry, I just saw this question.

I was around for a good chunk of the Driskill's Hyatt transition, and a lot of the corporate struggle that I saw revolved around how to pitch what it knew about luxury into the Austin market. Hyatt's luxury competency comes from its Park brand, which is traditional, formal, somewhat severe (especially compared with Austin). And definitely informed by major/gateway market ideas. They keep pushing other hipper brands forward (Andaz, and the Unbound collection, which the Driskill is a part of), but especially on the corporate personnel side, getting more relaxed was a struggle.

The Four Seasons, also, has a rep for being a bit outside the brand standards you'd see in larger markets (one of their former sales people I know calls it the Three and a Half Seasons). They've definitely made it work the Austin way, but again a lot of it is more relaxed.

I've heard some inkling from the Fairmont folks, too, that getting rid of the neckties and wearing jeans on Friday is still a struggle.

My point isn't that luxury can't be done here, it's that people expect it to look and feel a certain Austin way, separate from what you'd get in New York or Chicago or San Francisco, and sometimes it takes brands longer than you'd think to get the message.

Last edited by We vs us; Nov 6, 2017 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:38 PM
Meh

I just noticed the little hole in the overhang on the right side there (I believe it's the southeast corner) - very Frank Lloyd Wright. In fact, it also reminded me of the First Pasadena State Bank building in Pasadena, Texas that is always compared to his buildings. It's a very cool and overlooked piece of Texas architecture.

Have a look. It's even fairly tall - 217 feet to the top of the sign.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...XLvQ00#imgrc=_

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Sorry, I just saw this question.

I was around for a good chunk of the Driskill's Hyatt transition, and a lot of the corporate struggle that I saw revolved around how to pitch what it new about luxury into the Austin market. Hyatt's luxury competency comes from its Park brand, which is traditional, formal, somewhat severe (especially compared with Austin). And definitely informed by major/gateway market ideas. They keep pushing other hipper brands forward (Andaz, and the Unbound collection, which the Driskill is a part of), but especially on the corporate personnel side, getting more relaxed was a struggle.

The Four Seasons, also, has a rep for being a bit outside the brand standards you'd see in larger markets (one of their former sales people I know calls it the Three and a Half Seasons). They've definitely made it work the Austin way, but again a lot of it is more relaxed.

I've heard some inkling from the Fairmont folks, too, that getting rid of the neckties and wearing jeans on Friday is still a struggle.

My point isn't that luxury can't be done here, it's that people expect it to look and feel a certain Austin way, separate from what you'd get in New York or Chicago or San Francisco, and sometimes it takes brands longer than you'd think to get the message.
Cool insight, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, it's good. It has a quasi-Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it with the overhangs, materials, and colors.
I get how you see that....! especially in pattern of the terra-cotta or copper detail

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:35 PM

Any news with this one?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:44 PM

There hasn't been any news on this one since the planned December start came and went. I don't think we've seen this rendering yet.

http://www.bokapowell.com/project/hotel-mirabeau/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 11:57 PM

Forgive me for bumping this thread with no real information, but I am very interested in this project. Is there any start date planned at the moment or is the project dead in the water. When searching about the project all I could find were these renderings that have already been posted. http://www.bokapowell.com/project/hotel-mirabeau/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin