HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
I don't see much of a point tbh to even share
Canadian Cities on this Murder Rates Thread.
Outside of the US (& maybe a couple other countries).
The Murder Rates are just to low
for the statistics to be of any real value to anyone.
Montréal , 70+ in the 90's. steady decline since then.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Is this only within the city limits or does it include unincorporated areas also?
Vegas PD covers the entire county/metro, so I'm guessing that's the county/metro murder total. Still seems kind of high for vegas though, at this point in the year.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah but Murder is the worst kind of CRIME their is. You can't bring someone back from the dead, its not like your Jesus. This is a Crime the United States suffers from more than Canada (& many other developed countries). Even if there are as many (or more Armed Robberies, Rape, Auto Thefts, Vandalism, Arsons, & Home Invasions) etc. It would still make Canada a safer country overall because less of the population is being "killed". (Which is much more important anyways). After all injured people survive. People who experience Trauma/ Rape Victims can also SURVIVE. But those that where shot dead are dead, & theirs nothing u can do to bring them back. This is why Canada is a safer country than America. (Less People are shot dead on any given day). These people have families, they are a son/ daughter, a brother/ sister, a friend, a boyfriend/ girlfriend, a Spouse, a Father/ Mother etc. (These are REAL Physical Human Beings that are dying here, lets not get away from this). Yes some of them are People involved in Gangs/ Criminal Activities but their still PEOPLE & so are the innocent by-standards that get caught up in it alot more than some other countries. You can't take away from the fact that their real "HUMAN BEINGS". Who cares if it is happening only in "certain places" (or not to the vast majority of people). This is a weak excuse/ reason to downplay what is physically TAKING PLACE. (I understand Americans are patriotic/ love their country sure), but when is the rest of the world or your own Government going to say that "enough is enough" & help you guys reach a reasonable solution in your inner cities? If ur "safety" is compromised in any sort of way then so is your "Quality of Life" as well. (Because you need to be ALIVE in order to enjoy your "Quality of Life" in the first place). So for that reason "Murder" in particular is an important crime to have less of (NOT MORE).

PS. (I don't hate Americans), I just wish you guys actually CARED more about your OWN Citizens being killed unnecessarily by Gun Violence.
Just cause ur population is ginormous doesn't mean that 1 life doesn't matter. EVERY LIFE Matter's! 200 Murder's is STILL 200 Murder's who cares
if a City Has Millions of people?
You claim that what you care about here is that lives are being lost and that this is the most important thing. Why then do you focus so much on murder? Something like twice as many Americans die in car accidents than they do from murder each year. Why are you not focusing on that. It makes absolutely no sense and betrays your argument.

By the way, I am not saying that the United States doesn't have a higher violent crime and murder rate than it should. I am just questioning your premise that somehow no one here cares about human life. I am also not a U.S. citizen though I do live here.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

She's been identified as a Portland resident, 18 year old Haruka Weiser. The local Portland news is running some stories about her, but if your local Austin news releases any more information, please let us know.

It seems like it was just completely random. Tragic.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...n_found_d.html

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:34 AM

As of April 7th, Detroit is up to 60 for the year.

The most recent homicide was determined after a driver was speeding and caused a car accident that killed a nearby pedestrian.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
She's been identified as a Portland resident, 18 year old Haruka Weiser. The local Portland news is running some stories about her, but if your local Austin news releases any more information, please let us know.

well, they got him (or think they did; innocent till proven guilty): http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...weiser-n552991

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
You claim that what you care about here is that lives are being lost and that this is the most important thing. Why then do you focus so much on murder? Something like twice as many Americans die in car accidents than they do from murder each year. Why are you not focusing on that. It makes absolutely no sense and betrays your argument.

By the way, I am not saying that the United States doesn't have a higher violent crime and murder rate than it should. I am just questioning your premise that somehow no one here cares about human life. I am also not a U.S. citizen though I do live here.
Because Murder is more preventable that Impaired Driving/ Pedestrian Fatalities (or Motor Vehicle Fatalities). Every country has those. But NOT every developed Country has as many Murder's as the US. (So obviously its more preventable since other countries are proof of this). & NO it doesn't make any sense or betray's my arguement at all. Why are u downplaying the Murder Statistics they should be lower & they easily COULD be lower as well. Don't act like Americans cannot take back their neighborhoods & be tougher on crime than they should be because some American CITIES have already done this! So it can be done nationwide as well. (Don't pretend like it can't). Their are a few US Cities with comparable crime rates to Canadian & European Cities. Keyword "A FEW". This means the vast majority still are higher than they should be. Its the same country so whats the excuse then? New Orleans or Memphis are quick examples. Far smaller than NYC or San Diego but their Per-Capita Murder Rates are way, way, higher. If NYC & San Diego could bring their crimes down then why can't some other U.S. Cities follow the same lead?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 8:41 PM

Memphis is a lost city. Like Baltimore. Detroit. No one cares.

Its young black men killing young black men. And as long as its just black people killing black people, no one cares.

This is how hipsters can be proud of living in a place like Chicago in their relatively safe area of town while people living literally miles away live in warzones.

As long as poor blacks kill majority other poor blacks, no one will care. Period.

And as long as the police are demonized and constantly told to WORK WITH THE COMMUNITY, nothing will happen. Parts of Chicago and Memphis have no community. You have warzones. And good citizens, who commit no crime, but are too poor to move will LOVE to see a robust police presence, where they can walk around and not be SCARED of the same young men who hurt the entire neighborhoods they live in.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Memphis is a lost city. Like Baltimore. Detroit. No one cares.

Its young black men killing young black men. And as long as its just black people killing black people, no one cares.

This is how hipsters can be proud of living in a place like Chicago in their relatively safe area of town while people living literally miles away live in warzones.

As long as poor blacks kill majority other poor blacks, no one will care. Period.

And as long as the police are demonized and constantly told to WORK WITH THE COMMUNITY, nothing will happen. Parts of Chicago and Memphis have no community. You have warzones. And good citizens, who commit no crime, but are too poor to move will LOVE to see a robust police presence, where they can walk around and not be SCARED of the same young men who hurt the entire neighborhoods they live in.
There are even examples of this mentality in this thread. Specifically when Chicago gets bashed for its insane amount of murders there's usually somebody that will remind you that its all concentrated in the bad areas and that most of the city is safe. As if thats some sort of justification. If find those comments pretty offensive and I don't even have anything to do with Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
There are even examples of this mentality in this thread. Specifically when Chicago gets bashed for its insane amount of murders there's usually somebody that will remind you that its all concentrated in the bad areas and that most of the city is safe. As if thats some sort of justification. If find those comments pretty offensive and I don't even have anything to do with Chicago.
How is that more offensive than someone bashing Chicago and someone else saying in response that NYC is much safer?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 4:43 AM
Meh

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 4:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post

Yeah, it sucks. It's been all over the news here.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...19246175-story

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...18572378-story
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...19425405-story

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 5:20 AM

It was also the lead story on NBC Nightly News one night this week. Any time a female is murdered on a college campus it makes bigger news than most murders. At least the murderer was quickly caught. Even with this being Texas, I don't think he'll get the death penalty. He's 17 and has had what will be played up by the defense as a "troubled life".

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Because Murder is more preventable that Impaired Driving/ Pedestrian Fatalities (or Motor Vehicle Fatalities). Every country has those. But NOT every developed Country has as many Murder's as the US. (So obviously its more preventable since other countries are proof of this). & NO it doesn't make any sense or betray's my arguement at all. Why are u downplaying the Murder Statistics they should be lower & they easily COULD be lower as well. Don't act like Americans cannot take back their neighborhoods & be tougher on crime than they should be because some American CITIES have already done this! So it can be done nationwide as well. (Don't pretend like it can't). Their are a few US Cities with comparable crime rates to Canadian & European Cities. Keyword "A FEW". This means the vast majority still are higher than they should be. Its the same country so whats the excuse then? New Orleans or Memphis are quick examples. Far smaller than NYC or San Diego but their Per-Capita Murder Rates are way, way, higher. If NYC & San Diego could bring their crimes down then why can't some other U.S. Cities follow the same lead?
US cities are very diverse and that includes the causes and conditions from which crime occurs as well as the social and economic factors. Canada, and to a certain extent, Europe does not have these same factors.

Car accident are pretty cut-and-dry no matter where you go.

Last edited by animatedmartian; Apr 10, 2016 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
US cities are very diverse and that includes the causes and conditions from which crime occurs as well as the social and economic factors. Canada, and to a certain extent, Europe does not have these same factors.
Is this ignorance (because Canadian and European cities are very diverse, in many cases moreso than US cities) or veiled racism (because when you say "diverse" you mean something else)?

In either case, stupid post...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 12:56 PM

Bah, the Martian is not a bad guy, but just one of those ultra proud Americans sometimes...

The thing is we do have some social ideal and some policies trying to stick to it here, which avoids lots of murders.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Bah, the Martian is not a bad guy, but just one of those ultra proud Americans sometimes...
I don't really care for people who make ignorant and arrogant posts like these:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=105

Get corrected and still perpetuate the same bullshit on this forum years later. These people are not here to learn or to interact with others and make the forum an enjoyable place.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Is this ignorance (because Canadian and European cities are very diverse, in many cases moreso than US cities) or veiled racism (because when you say "diverse" you mean something else)?

In either case, stupid post...
US cities are diverse from each other. New Orleans =/= NYC. Memphis =/= San Diego.

All 4 cities have different economic and socioeconomic makeups. New Orleans especially has been struggling ever since its status as major port city and Memphis more or less suffered from deindustrialization. San Diego is made up of mostly suburban (and disjointed) neighborhoods and never really had that high of a homicide rate. New York is of course New York and unlike any other US cities so whatever caused homicide rates to fall there isn't guaranteed to work anywhere else.

The social aspect in the US that makes it different from Europe or Canada is how guns are a pretty big part of US culture and wealth inequality. Race falls in there somewhere (though it's more parallel to wealth inequality rather than a correlation), but generally, the formal two aspects are not very evident in Canadian or European culture.

But sure, if I'm wrong then be sure to enlighten me.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 5:46 PM

If I read your post wrong then I apologize.

Considering your history it's understandable I read it like I read it though I think.

And if there's great diversity among US cities, how is that not the case in Europe? Helsinki, Athens, Bucharest, London, Berlin, etc etc all have very low murder rates.

But sure, access to guns as well as socio economic factors play a role. You can't use that as an excuse though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post

Get corrected and still perpetuate the same bullshit on this forum years later. These people are not here to learn or to interact with others and make the forum an enjoyable place.
FYI, a lot of posters say the exact same about you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions