HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I wasn't aware that they planned to knock down the old Science building. I had understood that it would be converted to office space.

MUN lost an excellent opportunity on Elizabeth Ave - with the $25M - $30M they are spending on the Battery Hotel (mostly to give the President a second office with a nice view) they could have put a lot of 2 or 3 story apartment units in the new cul-de-sac opposite the Arts Building that sat empty for more than 10 years until last year when a few single houses are being built there. Having students at the Battery Hotel will add even more traffic to campus, putting them on Elizabeth Ave wouldn't.

Also, MUN owns all/most of the houses on the Clark Place (Elizabeth Ave). These houses are used as office space now, perhaps they could be converted to 2 or 4 unit student apartments when more office space becomes available (on campus or at the Battery Hotel).
MUN has been buying the properties in Clark Place as they become available, however there are still one or two left that they haven't been able to buy yet. Once they own them all, the plan is to tear them all down, remove the cul-de-sac, and put another Burtons Pond residence there, looking just like the 4 existing buildings.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 3:13 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p65ils View Post
MUN has been buying the properties in Clark Place as they become available, however there are still one or two left that they haven't been able to buy yet. Once they own them all, the plan is to tear them all down, remove the cul-de-sac, and put another Burtons Pond residence there, looking just like the 4 existing buildings.
^ That doesn't sound too promising at all.

I would be surprised if they planned to tear down the old Science Building though, most of it is the same age as the other original structures (1961?) - part of it was added later, so they would all have similar problems, (if any).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I agree, city planning is blind to the fact that more residential density is needed in this area in particular. The area contains many of the city's largest employers (MUN, HSC, Government, etc.), hence, the demand is right there in that area - within walking distance. There are in fact, underused and empty spaces that could and should be developed for this, and older non heritage development that should be replaced; the Nimby factor is the big problem, thwarting the logical development of the city. Also, allowing more development in this area, relatively close to downtown, would take pressure off the more controversial development aspect of the downtown heritage areas.
Lets face it though, how many developers would want to construct apartments that would be used mainly by students. Most people would definitely see a risk in it, I think.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 12:18 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Lets face it though, how many developers would want to construct apartments that would be used mainly by students. Most people would definitely see a risk in it, I think.
Well, here's some food for thought, although I'm not an expert on this matter by any means, check out the link below, it shows some housing at UBC (Univ. of BC), also zoom in for a closer look, all this is relatively recent development, (there is also more at SFU):

http://goo.gl/maps/ozre1

Also:

http://www.planning.ubc.ca/vancouver...rticles146.php

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 12:14 PM

Here's some more info on the new science building

Memorial advances core sciences infrastructure project

Quote:
Memorial University has decided on the location of planned core sciences infrastructure on its St. John’s campus.
While there was some discussion to situate the new facilities on two different campus locations, the university will move forward with the single-site option. The new building, which will be located on the north side of campus, on what is now Lot 16/16A, will house various units within Memorial’s faculties of Science and Engineering and Applied Science.
“The single-site option was chosen primarily because of the cost of construction,” said Dean of Science Mark Abrahams. “Lot 16/16A next to the University Centre was the only green-field we considered that could reasonably accommodate the entire facility.”
The single large building will promote consolidation and complementarities among the different types of science research as the university moves towards a more interdisciplinary model.
“The Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science is currently in the second year of its eight-year growth plan for the doubling of our academic and research capacities,” said Dr. Greg Naterer, dean, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science. “The new building will allow for additional engineering space to meet the province’s need to expand engineering undergraduate, graduate and research activities in areas of ocean technology, offshore petroleum and Arctic resources.”
In late 2012 Memorial retained the consultant team of Stantec Architecture in association with Resource Planning Group Inc. (RPG) to conduct a functional space planning study of the core sciences project.
Their project tasks included defining the type of work to be conducted in the building, the space necessary to accommodate these functions including a facility program, a potential building design and an order-of-magnitude project cost estimate.
Memorial officials received the final draft of the functional space planning study in May and it is now being reviewed. One preliminary concept has already been presented to the core sciences building steering committee for discussion. That committee is being chaired by Kent Decker, vice-president (administration and finance).
“The committee has looked at the basic concept for the combination of efficiency of design, both in terms of mechanical systems for the building as well as the layout to make the best use of our most valuable resource, the people inside the building,” said Dr. Abrahams.
Once approval for architectural planning has been granted, it will take at least another year for that process to take place, with an additional four-year build time.
“Simply opening this building is not the end of the project,” said Dr. Abrahams. “It has a domino effect on the entire campus. As that building opens, we will decant units into the building, which frees up space that will then trigger renovations within existing buildings.
“Those buildings for the most part are still in good shape. They just don’t work as lab buildings anymore. They can’t carry the heat load and we have difficulty with ventilation systems. But if those demands are no longer placed on the buildings, they can still function as office space, dry lab space, etc.”
While existing laboratories for the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science will remain in the Engineering building and the Bruneau Centre for Research and Innovation, the new core sciences facility will create additional engineering office, design project studio and laboratory space to accommodate a portion of the overall engineering expansion.
“New large full-scale ice mechanics, offshore petroleum and drilling, Arctic ocean, renewable energy and marine testing facilities, among others, are planned for the new building,” said Dr. Naterer. “We are now assessing which disciplines will take up space in the new building.
“Our goal is to make the transition as streamlined and cost-effective as possible and to base our decision on what makes the most sense financially while retaining important synergies among disciplines.”
The issue of adversity presented by aging infrastructure has presented the university with an opportunity to make improvements and to rethink how people come together to share information and resources, said Dr. Abrahams. Those issues have been a part of the planning process.
http://www.mun.ca/science/news.php?i...oVG52FPWM.like

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 11:40 AM

Starting to drill bore holes at mun today in parking lot of future science building

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The new MUN residences will open in September.

CBC peek inside:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada...ID/2401952560/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1986 View Post
Starting to drill bore holes at mun today in parking lot of future science building
I'm excited to see what the design is. I'd like them to stick to a consistent theme for the new buildings going up. Either an ode to the 60s/70s structures currently there, or to the older residences, as they did with the new ones. As they stand, the area looks a little haphazard. Side note, I love the clock tower but it's fugly. Looks incomplete.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 2:03 AM

MUN Engineering Plans to Double Capacity for Students

Quote:
With a shortage of engineers on the province's mega-projects, the Faculty of Engineering at Memorial is looking to beef up its program. VOCM's Lacy O'Connell explains.

Memorial University is planning on doubling its capacity for engineering students by the year 2020. Dean of Engineering, Dr. Greg Naterer, spoke at this week's Rotary Club meeting. He says the engineering faculty has some of the highest standards in the country, with entrance marks averaging around 88 per cent. But, he says there are excellent students who don't get in, simply because of the program cap. As well, up to two-thirds of the engineering work on mega-projects here is done by engineers from outside the province.

There are 1,200 students enrolled in undergraduate engineering now, and he says that's going to drastically increase in years to come. Naterer says to fund the program and get the space needed, they will most likely look for financial help from oil companies, in exchange for responding to the need created by those very same companies.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=38686

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
MUN Engineering Plans to Double Capacity for Students

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=38686
I know there was talk of going up with the engineering building, maybe this will be the catalyst for it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 11:04 AM

Renovations beginning at Battery, space to serve as graduate student residence

http://themuse.ca/2013/09/18/renovat...ent-residence/

Quote:
MUN has released a statement saying that planning and work has begun on the recently purchased Battery Hotel. The property will “provide dedicated residence space for graduate students ” we well serving as the new host for the Graduate Students’ Union, the Harris Centre, the Gardiner Centre, the Genesis Centre, and the Office of Public Engagement. Discussions are currently in the works as to the spatial needs of these occupants.

Proposals of “conceptual planning concepts for the adaptive reuse” of the building are currently under assessment, with the chosen architectural company to complete “enhancements” to the building this fall.

The university says that at present, the financial and heritage value of the building’s contents are being assessed and prepared for removal or reuse. As well, windows in the front of the building will be replaced later in the fall.

Consultation on public engagement programming at the Battery property are set to begin in the New Year.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 7:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent news. Hopefully that means something will be done with the exterior.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 12:05 AM

No information on which "chosen architectural company" this may be?

MUN shows such a disappointing lack of pride in its architecture. I could be wrong but all their construction seems to be done very quietly, I rarely hear about the tendering process or any consideration for design. And it's all done in a very utilitarian way. I'm all for practical building but a university would be one place I would expect some foresight. Host an open competition, go for more than a token nod to "sustainability," anything.

I probably sound pretty cynical right about now but I really do think they are missing some key opportunities.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
No information on which "chosen architectural company" this may be?

MUN shows such a disappointing lack of pride in its architecture. I could be wrong but all their construction seems to be done very quietly, I rarely hear about the tendering process or any consideration for design. And it's all done in a very utilitarian way. I'm all for practical building but a university would be one place I would expect some foresight. Host an open competition, go for more than a token nod to "sustainability," anything.

I probably sound pretty cynical right about now but I really do think they are missing some key opportunities.
I totally agree. This new acquisition is a huge opportunity given the location in the city. I am going to be optimistic at this point that MUN will put some more thought into architecture on this one. It could be a cool new symbol for MUN.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 3:09 PM

Does anyone know anything about the new diagnostic imaging centre on Clinch Crescent?

The road is almost realigned near the autism centre, and there's a large mess in front of the Janeway, but I haven't heard a peep about the building itself.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
Does anyone know anything about the new diagnostic imaging centre on Clinch Crescent?

The road is almost realigned near the autism centre, and there's a large mess in front of the Janeway, but I haven't heard a peep about the building itself.
From survivornet.ca

New equipment to better detect cancer expected in operation by 2015

The province's first positron emission tomography-commuted tomography (PET/CT) scanner is expected to be in operation by 2015.

Construction on the building to house the scanner is expected to be tendered this fall and will take 18 months once underway.

The new addition to the Health Sciences Centre will cost $30 million and the total project — including equipment — will be $40 million. Work will begin in Aug. 1 to realign Clinch Crescent. The new facility will be behind the cancer centre. Also, the Janeway will get a new entrance.

The three-level building will have room for future expansion of the cancer centre.

A contract to realign the road at the Health Sciences Centre was recently awarded to Triple A Excavating Ltd. This will be the first phase of development that will include the creation of a new entrance to the emergency department of the Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre and construction of a new facility to house the Molecular Imaging Program next to the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre.

So we're likely between the phases of road-work then building. I don't believe the whole project will be complete till 2016 according to Eastern Health, while the Pet/CT system will be online in 2015.

Last edited by rthomasd; Oct 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM. Reason: added picture

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 1:45 AM

MUN Presidents Report

The 2013 President's Report is online with a section on Infrastructure. I don't think there is anything really new in there but it does give a good overview on completed and ongoing projects.

http://www.mun.ca/presidentsreport/2...e.php#anchor-5

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:46 PM

The design team for the Core Science Building has been selected. Probably a year away before construction starts.

Also, the construction tender for the Molecular Imaging Facility is almost closed. Construction should start this late spring / summer

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A325 View Post
The design team for the Core Science Building has been selected. Probably a year away before construction starts.
Word within the department is that the new core sciences building is slated to be move-in ready by around 2019. Which in MUN terms means probably closer to 2021.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 7:01 PM

Can someone remind me where exactly the new science building is going and how tall it is going to be? I'm thinking its going to be on that big parking lot between the new parking garage and the parkway but I can't remember if that's what they went with after

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's