HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 4:24 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2017 in Sendai, Japan

Sendai is 350km north of Tokyo, but only 1.5 hours by Shinkansen away. Next to the main train station is the AER Building, which has a free observation deck with a good introductory view of the city.

A pedestrian arcade extends along a stretch of road, which is a common feature in many Japanese cities. I paid particular attention to the discount shop as well as supermarket.

The Osaki Hachiman-gu Shrine was built in 1607 by a local ruler, Date Masamune. It is beautifully decorated in black lacquer with gold leaf, so it stands out quite nicely.

There was a bus stop just outside the temple and not long after, I got off in the city centre for the brisk walk to Zuihoden, passing through some river scenes along the way.

Zuihoden is the mausoleum of a feudal lord from the Edo period. The site was destroyed during World War II and the current structures are re-creations from 1979 which were renovated in 2001.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/tohoku01.htm

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 12:51 AM
Community Guy

I went by on the Shinkansen and had the idea of stopping by for an night on the way back from Sapporo but ran out of time. Gotta save a few things for the next trip I guess.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 10:25 PM

Love it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 10:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

Those temples are beautiful but it sure is a shame that most cities in Japan were utterly destroyed in WW2 because the architecture in most Japanese cities is abhorrent.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:41 AM
Hong Kong

Matsushima is a good day trip option from Sendai. Easily connected by JR in only 40 minutes, the urban environment fades into a beautiful seaside atmosphere. The protected bay is home to over 260 islands.

Oshima is just off the coast but connected via a bright red bridge. Stone tablets and caves dot the island, which is sacred for Buddhists.

Seafood snack break time!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 3:17 PM
Hong Kong

Just an hour by train from Sendai to the west, Yamadera's hillsides are home to a Tendai Buddhist temple that dates back to the 9th century.

Parts of the climb had cherry blossoms at full bloom, but otherwise, the hillsides are nicely shaded by greener vegetation.

The ultimate prize is a hut overlooking the valley, where I originally came from. The views were worth the climb. The paths beyond this spot are blocked so this is as far as I could go.

More from Yamadera : click here

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 3:20 PM
Up Up and Away

Nice photo thread. Thank you for sharing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos